What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting my foot in the door, IT Help Desk

Everyone’s being too precious.

No one on the panel has advised you to fib yet.

Tell these people what you think they want to hear, get the job and then cram the knowledge in before you start.

Now get out there and have these punks for breakfast.

Even if you don’t wear glasses, get some clear glass ones. Good geeky ones. Stained shirt a must.

@stryker would agree.

Last edited:

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
Everyone’s being too precious.

No one on the panel has advised you to fib yet.

Tell these people what you think they want to hear, get the job and then cram the knowledge in before you start.

Now get out there and have these punks for breakfast.

Even if you don’t wear glasses, get some clear glass ones. Good geeky ones. Stained shirt a must.

@stryker would agree.

I'd rather be up front and manage their expectations, then the old fake it till you make it. Of the two 2nd interviews I have tomorrow, the one I want the most is more customer service centric. I think they like me already, otherwise they would not have put me forward to the hiring manager.

I'm spending tomorrow researching their company, product, and values.

I'd rather be up front and manage their expectations, then the old fake it till you make it. Of the two 2nd interviews I have tomorrow, the one I want the most is more customer service centric. I think they like me already, otherwise they would not have put me forward to the hiring manager.

I'm spending tomorrow researching their company, product, and values.

Yes, I was having some fun.

Never get put off if you miss one, you’re just one step closer.

Smiling and just being yourself will go a long way.

Always have a list of questions.

Manners. Hesitate to sit down before they do. Lots of nodding. Never throw last employer under the bus.

People skills are often the best skills to have.

Relax as well. If they miss out on you, stuff them, it’s their loss.

Always a better job just around the corner.

Last edited:

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
Yes, I was having some fun.

Never get put off if you miss one, you’re just one step closer.

Smiling and just being yourself will go a long way.

Always have a list of questions.

Manners. Hesitate to sit down before they do. Lots of nodding. Never throw last employer under the bus.

People skills are often the best skills to have.

Relax as well. If they miss out on you, stuff them, it’s their loss.

Always a better job just around the corner.

For sure.

I have some questions I ask on top of what they tell me during the interview.

What will I be doing the first month?
Office culture?
Ask them about growth
Room to move? Growth within company.

Dogs Of War

Coach
For sure.

I have some questions I ask on top of what they tell me during the interview.

What will I be doing the first month?
Office culture?
Ask them about growth
Room to move? Growth within company.

Well the first month is really for you to learn how they like to do things. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Office Culture - I generally get to the place I am getting interviewed like 45mins early. Lets me actually see how people carry themselves outside the office, and in the waiting room. You learn a lot just by observing body language. I've passed many a job over just from this alone, everybody with their heads downs. No one talks to each other. Big pass. You also get an idea from the interviewers how they work.

I've never found asking questions as a deal breaker having gone for lots of interviews, and interviewed lots and lots of people. Really you hope a lot of these questions are answered in the interview.

A typical week performing your role is probably a good question to understand what their expectations of what you will be doing is. Helps you also frame that in your mind if you get the job.

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
Well the first month is really for you to learn how they like to do things. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Office Culture - I generally get to the place I am getting interviewed like 45mins early. Lets me actually see how people carry themselves outside the office, and in the waiting room. You learn a lot just by observing body language. I've passed many a job over just from this alone, everybody with their heads downs. No one talks to each other. Big pass. You also get an idea from the interviewers how they work.

I've never found asking questions as a deal breaker having gone for lots of interviews, and interviewed lots and lots of people. Really you hope a lot of these questions are answered in the interview.

A typical week performing your role is probably a good question to understand what their expectations of what you will be doing is. Helps you also frame that in your mind if you get the job.

Thanks! That is the context of asking what my first month will be like.

All the questions show curiosity and desire, as well as active listening when you respond to something they said.

This company wants me to ask them about their culture and values, as directed by the first interviewer, she has given me information on how to do well in the 2nd as she is keen to hire me.

Dogs Of War

Coach

All the questions show curiosity and desire, as well as active listening when you respond to something they said.

This company wants me to ask them about their culture and values, as directed by the first interviewer, she has given me information on how to do well in the 2nd as she is keen to hire me.

Oh company questions are always good. Good to have done that research and show that you are interested in what they do. Nothing worse than asking a candidate what they know about the company and they just look dumbfounded. And it shows me the effort level that I can expect from them if they know stuff all about the company itself. Takes all of 5-10mins to do research beforehand to get a general idea of what a company offers.

I’ve read that taller people do better.

If you are of short stature, buy some shoe fillers, give yourself another half to one inch of height.

If they make a joke, don’t forget to smile.

The best job interviews are the ones where you don’t need the job. Then the confidence shines through.

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
Oh company questions are always good. Good to have done that research and show that you are interested in what they do. Nothing worse than asking a candidate what they know about the company and they just look dumbfounded. And it shows me the effort level that I can expect from them if they know stuff all about the company itself. Takes all of 5-10mins to do research beforehand to get a general idea of what a company offers.

I was playing around with a couple of their apps last night before bed, I can see why they are worth over a billion dollars. A lot of room to grow.

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
I’ve read that taller people do better.

If you are of short stature, buy some shoe fillers, give yourself another half to one inch of height.

If they make a joke, don’t forget to smile.

The best job interviews are the ones where you don’t need the job. Then the confidence shines through.

"The team that scores the most points, wins."

- Gusious Gouldious

77Fa.gif

The second last person I interviewed is now a boss.

What we were looking for is how busy they were with other job, family, studies etc.

The busier they were, the more in demand they were, so we wanted them more.

And if you are on Facebook, some employers might not like the photo of you bending over in your bear costume at the Mardi Gras kissing a passed out rager. We wouldn’t care, but some employers are very square. So clean up your on line stuff. They will check.

Dogs Of War

Coach

What we were looking for is how busy they were with other job, family, studies etc.

And if you are on Facebook, some employers might not like the photo of you bending over in your bear costume at the Mardi Gras kissing a passed out rager. We wouldn’t care, but some employers are very square. So clean up your on line stuff. They will check.

Yeah I used to google the names. Check images as well. You'd be surprised what can be out there. Somehow my wedding photos were all just online. Needed to talk to someone to get them taken down.

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade

I don't have social media anymore, deleted it after my friend passed.

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
Happy to work overtime when required, interests include programming, currently learning to build apps, reading history, current affairs. Sport, Ruby likes to keep fit and go to the gym twice a week. Charity stuff

3 times a week now 5.

I did mention I'm not a clock watcher, what I am learning etc

This interview went well, have the last one later.

Latest posts