What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
half afl isnt it lol
Not sure adding 400k people adds 13mill up to 2/3rds of 26million.
Population of wa sa nt and tas 12
Australian population 25.69

afl states 46.8 percent of Australia

that’s with nt to afl which is arguable
If was closer to what you said than I thought but still heavily in favour of rugby league

Perth Red

Post Whore
A
Population of wa sa nt and tas 12
Australian population 25.69

afl states 46.8 percent of Australia

that’s with nt to afl which is arguable
If was closer to what you said than I thought but still heavily in favour of rugby league
As I said much nearer 50-50. The big difference being AFL has a reasonable presences in our two states whilst we have hardly in theirs.
Mind you I did pick up the West today and we had a full page on NRL and coverage of the NRLWA games which makes a change

Wb1234

Referee
1/2 what afl is spending is the NRL grant lol. PNG would need A LOT more than the current NRL grant. Then you have to consider ROI. Metro cities add value to TV deals and sponsorships, PNG doesnt sadly. PNG is a feel good for RL and would be great for Jnr development opportunities, but from a business case it really doesnt stack up in any way.

Arent the GWS membership and avg attendance on par or better than most Sydney NRL clubs? And they generate $21mill in revenue before the AFL grant which would be more than a lot of NRL clubs in FC operations alone. How are you defining them as basketcases?
Gws and gcs have zero roi. Let’s apply the same standards to both league and afl.

watch a gws game on tv they are lucky to get real crowds of 5k. Please don’t tell me you believe the suns and gws figures are real ?

Wb1234

Referee
A

As I said much nearer 50-50. The big difference being AFL has a sizeable presences in our two states whilst we have hardly in theirs.
In terms of crowds it does
In terms of tv ratings in nsw qld and act they don’t

they have as much impact as the storm in Melbourne on tv

ie non existent

and of course I’m ignoring New Zealand from this discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gws and gcs have zero roi. Let’s apply the same standards to both league and afl.

watch a gws game on tv they are lucky to get real crowds of 5k. Please don’t tell me you believe the suns and gws figures are real ?
I have no idea as I dont watch them. Unless you have evidence we can only go on what gets published. Its very easy to say they are making it up without any evidence to prove it.

Wb1234

Referee
I have no idea as I dont watch them. Unless you have evidence we can only go on what gets published. Its very easy to say they are making it up without any evidence to prove it.
I’ve seen photos on twitter of people laughing at the empty stadiums

if you google gws crowds you will find lots of articles about how bad they are

Perth Red

Post Whore
In terms of crowds it does
In terms of tv ratings in nsw qld and act they don’t

they have as much impact as the storm in Melbourne on tv

ie non existent

and of course I’m ignoring New Zealand from this discussion
They really dont, at least on fta which is the only measure we have as PTV and streaming dont give us metro breakdowns. For example Friday nights AFL game drew 23k and 19k in Sydney/Brisbane and NRL's 9k, 5k and 9k in Melbourne/Adelaide/Perth. Sundays AFL game drew 48k/40k NRls drew 3k/8k/8k.
So just over the weekend they drew 130k in NRL states to our 42k in AFL states.
Just another area we could do much better in if we properly expanded the game,

Wb1234

Referee
They really dont, at least on fta which is the only measure we have as PTV and streaming dont give us metro breakdowns. For example Friday nights AFL game drew 23k and 19k in Sydney/Brisbane and NRL's 9k, 5k and 9k in Melbourne/Adelaide/Perth. Sundays AFL game drew 48k/40k NRls drew 3k/8k/8k.
So just over the weekend they drew 130k in NRL states to our 42k in AFL states.
Just another area we could do much better in if we properly expanded the game,
The pay tv figures are clear. Rugby league nationally is number one by a long way.

or you can look at the average viewers for each code and see rugby league has a higher average

Perth Red

Post Whore
The pay tv figures are clear. Rugby league nationally is number one by a long way.

or you can look at the average viewers for each code and see rugby league has a higher average
That wasnt what you said lol. You said AFL and NRL draw same audiences in their oppositions cities, which isnt so. AFL draw around three times the audience than NRL does.
We dont know what the pay TV city break down is. I suspect a lot of NRL fans in perth, Melbourne and Adelaide consume their NRL via pay tv due to the appalling treatment the game has had in those states by Ch9 historically, but there is no way of knowing that.

Wb1234

Referee
That wasnt what you said lol. You said AFL and NRL draw same audiences in their oppositions cities, which isnt so. AFL draw around three times the audience than NRL does.
We dont know what the pay TV city break down is. I suspect a lot of NRL fans in perth, Melbourne and Adelaide consume their NRL via pay tv due to the appalling treatment the game has had in those states by Ch9 historically, but there is no way of knowing that.
Pretty interesting that the sport that claims it’s national lags it’s main rival so much after spending hundreds of millions to expand around the country and the other sport has only just started it’s own expansion

I’ve seen photos on twitter of people laughing at the empty stadiums

if you google gws crowds you will find lots of articles about how bad they are
I've heard audio clips of commentators doubting the accuracy of the official attendance figures. I only see 10 or 15 seconds of footage while channel surfing, but GCS, BL and GWSG always look 80-90% empty when the camera scans the stands.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty interesting that the sport that claims it’s national lags it’s main rival so much after spending hundreds of millions to expand around the country and the other sport has only just started it’s own expansion
Weve become an effective tv product for sure.

Last edited:
If Foxtel's ratings are boosted by RL fans in traditional fumbleball states then it would be in News Ltd's interest to add teams in Adelaide and Perth. It would be good for them to have an NRL presence in these cities in case they lose the AwFuL broadcast rights so they can hang onto some sports fans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If Foxtel's ratings are boosted by RL fans in traditional fumbleball states then it would be in News Ltd's interest to add teams in Adelaide and Perth. It would be good for them to have an NRL presence in these cities in case they lose the AwFuL broadcast rights so they can hang onto some sports fans.
Yes if they lost AFL that could certainly become a factor in Fox's thinking. Fox has shown they are willing to pay more for AFL despite less audiences so makes you wonder why?

Yes if they lost AFL that could certainly become a factor in Fox's thinking. Fox has shown they are willing to pay more for AFL despite less audiences so makes you wonder why?
Surely a Perth team has to be on their mind. Perth is almost as big as Brisbane and has a large expatriate community from England, South Africa, New Zealand, Queensland and NSW. Foxtel no longer has onionball, so it needs content in Perth to satisfy the South Africans, Englishmen and New Zealanders who live there.

If I was Foxtel I'd be looking at a long-term strategy of having two teams in Perth and three in Brisbane. Onionball is cooked, so it's between AwFuL and NRL for viewers.

flippikat

Bench
Surely a Perth team has to be on their mind. Perth is almost as big as Brisbane and has a large expatriate community from England, South Africa, New Zealand, Queensland and NSW. Foxtel no longer has onionball, so it needs content in Perth to satisfy the South Africans, Englishmen and New Zealanders who live there.

If I was Foxtel I'd be looking at a long-term strategy of having two teams in Perth and three in Brisbane. Onionball is cooked, so it's between AwFuL and NRL for viewers.
That's an angle that hasn't been explored much - to what extent does Foxtel want to cripple RU, now that it doesn't have the rights- and if so, to what extent do they intend to use the NRL to.do that?

That's an angle that hasn't been explored much - to what extent does Foxtel want to cripple RU, now that it doesn't have the rights- and if so, to what extent do they intend to use the NRL to.do that?
It would be cheaper for Foxtel to fund a Perth-based NRL club than poach the broadcast rights to RU. The Pirates would generate just as much interest as the Force and their games would rate better than a Reds vs Waratahs game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would they? Its not like Union is driving their subscribers elsewhere in any great numbers.

Latest posts