What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

hindy111

Post Whore
Oh for sure, they should of improved. They looked a better side under Pay with a far inferior roster.

Will be interesting what happens with them. Burton is hitting the open market in November. I think its smart. His value is dropping at the Dogs. Other sides will feel its mainly the Bulldogs fault. Some desperate clubs will throw him 800k+ offers. The memories of last season are still fresh

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Will be interesting what happens with them. Burton is hitting the open market in November. I think its smart. His value is dropping at the Dogs. Other sides will feel its mainly the Bulldogs fault. Some desperate clubs will throw him 800k+ offers. The memories of last season are still fresh
I wonder how him and Dylan Brown would go as a combo??? 🤔

strider

Post Whore
The dogs added alot of potential talent .... but bar burton, they all have a heap of dumb in them ..... TPJ, Dufty, Ado-Carr, Vaughn, Naden

Gazzamatta

Coach
Yes. If we are smart we would get in the mix. I'd rather snag Burton for 800k then Moses for 1 mill.
Worse case we drive his price right up. Bidding war.
Do you still think they are closer to a premership that our Eels?
Im not sure Rheed will turn them around. Kikau is in career best form but if hes not used correctly he becomes lazy. Could be a dud signing. Thoughts?

hindy111

Post Whore
Do you still think they are closer to a premership that our Eels?
Im not sure Rheed will turn them around. Kikau is in career best form but if hes not used correctly he becomes lazy. Could be a dud signing. Thoughts?

Kikau last night ran for 55mtrs in 80mins. I'd be concerned with him. He is a great player. Very talented. But will be 28 early next year and has a contract till he is 31. He probably could get another 2yrs after that most likely in the UK or call it quits. Either way he has sorted his future now financially. Pockets 3.2mill
I'd say he was on a decent amount of coin already at Penrith. Guys like this are always a huge risk. Plus he has won a premiership already with his mates.

I still feel Gus will turn them around. I predict we will see them sign two huge names. Perhaps even Brown or Moses.They will go after a halfback 100%. We will also see them flick a heap of guys under contract come end of year.
I'm not sure how close we are. I still think this is our shot but the Storm and Panthers are better sides. Hard for me to judge 2023 onwards. I feel we will decline. But as I have said before I don't know our junior system. We may have 3 or 4 hot shots ready to come in. Based in how they are performing I am not confident in that. But I guess there could always be 3 gems surrounded by 14 average kids.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Something Gould said in his 100% footy stood out to me. He said he told Trent Barrett not to take the Manly or Bulldogs jobs as he's not a Manly or Bulldogs boy and no one will protect him when things turn sour.

Am I to understand from this that BA has lasted so long because one of the criteria's is that he's a Parra boy and more importantly the next coach must be as well? By this logic, we'd have no coaches on our hand except Morris.

yy_cheng

Coach
Something Gould said in his 100% footy stood out to me. He said he told Trent Barrett not to take the Manly or Bulldogs jobs as he's not a Manly or Bulldogs boy and no one will protect him when things turn sour.

Am I to understand from this that BA has lasted so long because one of the criteria's is that he's a Parra boy and more importantly the next coach must be as well? By this logic, we'd have no coaches on our hand except Morris.
Caylo.

What happened to Burt?

King-Gutho94

Coach

The dogs have no idea and only run by self interest bafoons who are only interested in keeping their jobs similar to the parra board before reforms.

They sacked Hasler because the likes of terry lamb whinged to the media that hasler had no bulldog DNA despite taking them to 2 GFs.

So they brought in an ex Bulldogs legend in Dean Pay. They then punted him as the board was worried about a restless fanbase.

Signed Barrett and rinse repeat ssme issues still there.

The dogs have became a club where careers go to die. And i must say it is enjoyable seeing them go from one disaster to another.

DaveMc

Juniors

Honestly sounds like Gus talking out of his backside. Who did Barrett take over from in both of his head coaching gigs? Club old boys in Toovey and Pay. Who protected them when things went sour?

Gronk

Staff member
Honestly sounds like Gus talking out of his backside. Who did Barrett take over from in both of his head coaching gigs? Club old boys in Toovey and Pay. Who protected them when things went sour?
Dean Pay is an Eels Hall of Famer. Paul Green played for the Eels in 2000s. Morris of course was an Eel during the 2000s too. Captain Caylo has been assistant at Roosters, Warriors and Tigers.

I'm sure everyone here would give them a wide berth and leave him alone. 😵

Gazzamatta

Coach
Dean Pay is an Eels Hall of Famer. Paul Green played for the Eels in 2000s. Morris of course was an Eel during the 2000s too. Captain Caylo has been assistant at Roosters, Warriors and Tigers.

And Kimorley was a coaching consultant for a few weeks a few pre seasons ago before he vanished.

emjaycee

Coach

Add Burt, Widders (currently our NRLW coach), Robinson, Flanagan - all played for Parra and have careers in coaching. You could also add Dymock, but I wont.

DaveMc

Juniors

Yeah, agreed. And there’s plenty of successful coaches that have limited or history with their respective clubs before becoming their coach (Bellamy, Robinson, Bennett at St George, Flanagan). I just don’t buy the premise of what Gus said. Frankly, the best example of what he’s saying is Stuart at Canberra now, and how many Canberra fans are happy with that ongoing arrangement? It sounds like a recipe for disaster for everyone but the coach.