What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Colk

First Grade
Yo

You accusing anyone of talking too much about afl is really funny

with a salary cap in place and no incentive to by investing in juniors what would they use the money for ?

To future proof their business.

Wb1234

Referee
That’s the dumbest thing you’ve said and that’s saying something lol. With more money clubs can do so much more. for privately owned clubs it’s profit back to the owners, for pokie den clubs it’s money to out into other revenue generating opportunities for future proofing if suckers actually get off the pokie addiction, and for all clubs it allows them to do much more to engage with their communities and attract more customers and sponsors.
Sht who knows they could have even built their own stadiums if they weren’t mostly business basket cases Then Your govt could have used the money to fix the fricking pot holes in Sydney roads, like driving in Bali!
Maybe you should apply for a job with one of the clubs and tell them they are doing it wrong

I’m sure they will take you as seriously as I do

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yo

with a salary cap in place and no incentive to by investing in juniors what would they use the money for ?
Like every post leads you to talk about afl lol. Mine is mostly just in response to you opening the door with disingenuous commentary.

you can’t think of what more revenue could be used for? Seriously?

building an asset base
building alternative revenue sources for when things go pear shaped
game day experience enhancement
letting kids in for next to nothing or free
more community engagement activities in their area
improved communications and brand marketing
Reducing ticket prices
attracting stronger investors/owners

And so it goes on.

Wb1234

Referee
Like every post leads you to talk about afl lol. Mine is mostly just in response to you opening the door with disingenuous commentary.

building an asset base
Reducing ticket prices

And so it goes on.
Many clubs already have a very rich asset base

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lmao you are the one calling pippen a troll all the time when he makes a lot of good points. I was literally going to say that to you about him
He doesn’t make good points, he makes fake or dumb ones just to bait.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Many clubs already have a very rich asset base
Which is largely tied up in property relating to their pokie den activity. We saw in covid how few actually had a cash asset base to fall back on Hence why nrl had to take grassroots funding and give it to the nrl clubs to survive.

Wb1234

Referee
He doesn’t make good points, he makes fake or dumb ones just to bait.
He makes a lot of good points imo

sometimes he goes too far which undoes some of his arguments but there’s a lot he says I genuinely agree with

it’s just his conclusions he takes them too far

a lot of what he says about Sydney and expansion clubs is spot on

Wb1234

Referee
Which is largely tied up in property relating to their pokie den activity. We saw in covid how few actually had a cash asset base to fall back on Hence why nrl had to take grassroots funding and give it to the nrl clubs to survive.
I don’t think many businesses did well during covid

other than Amazon

fyi

easts, net assets (market value) 200 to 300 million
Broncos 100 million ? (18 million cash at bank)
Dolphins 100 million
Raiders 100 million
Dragons 50 million
Sharks 300 million
Panthers 300 million
Newcastle wests 150 million

etc

Perth Red

Post Whore
He makes a lot of good points imo

sometimes he goes too far which undoes some of his arguments but there’s a lot he says I genuinely agree with

it’s just his conclusions he takes them too far

a lot of what he says about Sydney and expansion clubs is spot on
Well good for you. To me it’s mostly trolling as it’s ridiculous statements backed up with false or no facts to back it up couched in the definite.
Like saying perth will flop. Or perth has no fans, or nrl hasn’t indicated it is looking at perth and so it goes on and on.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don’t think many businesses did well during covid

other than Amazon

fyi

easts, net assets (market value) 200 to 300 million
Broncos 100 million ? (18 million cash at bank)
Dolphins 100 million
Raiders 100 million
Dragons 50 million
Sharks 300 million
Panthers 300 million
Newcastle wests 150 million

etc
And how is the split between cash asset and property linked to pokie activity? A lot of the assset of these clubs is tied up in their league clubs so unless they shut up shop they can’t release that asset if they need it. It also doesn’t given them the surpluses to do all those activities I mentioned they could be doing better compared to increasing revenue and surplus to invest in other areas. Some clubs are certainly well ahead of others like roosters and raiders in property acquisition and eels in growing their game day revenue. Others seem to be stuck in a 30 year old model and ever more reliant on asking the nrl for more.

Wb1234

Referee
Well good for you. To me it’s mostly trolling as it’s ridiculous statements backed up with false or no facts to back it up couched in the definite.
Like saying perth will flop. Or perth has no fans, or nrl hasn’t indicated it is looking at perth and so it goes on and on.
Yeh I agree with the last bit. That’s where he takes it too far

but lots of people have said Balmain wests etc failed and it’s for the same reason Perth failed ….. super league

Wb1234

Referee
And how is the split between cash asset and property linked to pokie activity? A lot of the assset of these clubs is tied up in their league clubs so unless they shut up shop they can’t release that asset if they need it. It also doesn’t given them the surpluses to do all those activities I mentioned they could be doing better compared to increasing revenue and surplus to invest in other areas. Some clubs are certainly well ahead of others like roosters and raiders in property acquisition and eels in growing their game day revenue. Others seem to be stuck in a 30 year old model and ever more reliant on asking the nrl for more.
Most decent leagues club wouldn’t have a problem putting in 5 million pa into their clubs if they needed it

saints and Cronulla might struggle with that number

and Penrith leagues built them their coe out of their own funds rather than govt money

then every other club got it built by the state govt helping

Perth Red

Post Whore
Most decent leagues club wouldn’t have a problem putting in 5 million pa into their clubs if they needed it

saints and Cronulla might struggle with that number

and Penrith leagues built them their coe out of their own funds rather than govt money

then every other club got it built by the state govt helping
That’s the point though, they should t have to! Imagine if that LC could be putting that extra $5mill to jnr development.
Dogs got $5mill a year from their LC. Everyone’s lamenting the poor jnr systems in their region. Maybe if dogs were profitable in their football club operations that $5mill a year could be creating something akin to what panthers have been able to do? with the size of the nrl grant now and the time clubs have had to build a customer base why are they still so reliant on top ups from the LC? It’s mainly because they haven’t done the work building g their customer bases! If dogs had 35k members and 20k crowd avg in lean years they certainly wouldn’t be taking $5mill from the LC.

Wb1234

Referee
That’s the point though, they should t have to! Imagine if that LC could be putting that extra $5mill to jnr development.
Dogs got $5mill a year from their LC. Everyone’s lamenting the poor jnr systems in their region. Maybe if dogs were profitable in their football club operations that $5mill a year could be creating something akin to what panthers have been able to do? with the size of the nrl grant now and the time clubs have had to build a customer base why are they still so reliant on top ups from the LC? It’s mainly because they haven’t done the work building g their customer bases! If dogs had 35k members and 20k crowd avg in lean years they certainly wouldn’t be taking $5mill from the LC.
With the current system there is little incentive to do this

I’ve argued the arlc should bring in much larger incentives for clubs who do this Ie up to 1 million extra on the cap for clubs who spend over a certain amount pa on juniors

then most clubs would do this and it wouldn’t cost the arlc a cent

but the roosters don’t want this so it hasn’t happened yet

Yo

You're living off a model that's 40 years out of date.

If you want to know why AwFuL attracts high end sponsors then look at their massive attendances. People aren't going to pay top dollar to have their company's logo propped up on a jersey that is seen by an average of 15k each week when there's a competitor that averages 35k.

There's no guarantee pokies will be available in licenced venues in 10 or more years. I wouldn't be surprised if The Greens push for a ban on pokies.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
You're living off a model that's 40 years out of date.

If you want to know why AwFuL attracts high end sponsors then look at their massive attendances. People aren't going to pay top dollar to have their company's logo propped up on a jersey that is seen by an average of 15k each week when there's a competitor that averages 35k.

There's no guarantee pokies will be available in licenced venues in 10 or more years. I wouldn't be surprised if The Greens push for a ban on pokies.

Weren’t you saying someone should build a leagues club in Springfield to affect the lions leagues club ?

did you forget saying that ?

building an asset base
Reducing ticket prices

And so it goes on.
It's a wonder clubs aren't buying up real estate in the CBD so they can build massive shopping centres, nightclubs and childcare centres.

They could flog their merchandise to more people in the supermarkets and have their brand seen by a new demographic. They could even open a TicketTek there to make it easier to draw people into attending games.

Rich mothers who work in the CBD could drop their kids off at the childcare centre on their way in then pick them up as they go home.

Imagine how many kids could become diehard fans of a club if they're staring at toys and signs with the club's logo plastered over it?

Kids would associate the brand with fun and familiarity. As kids get older you could have them play touch football and get to meet ex-players who are now ambassadors for the club and encourage them to play juniors. Provide a discount on season tickets for families who enrol their kids.

Ex-players could promote the game at the shopping centre, too. Then there's the promotions they could run to get people to attend their supermarket, such as providing an autograph of their favourite player when they spend more than $200 on food.

Weren’t you saying someone should build a leagues club in Springfield to affect the lions leagues club ?

did you forget saying that ?
No. I said Easts Tigers should build a Leagues Club in Springwood on Rochedale Rd.

As long as the current model is in place it makes sense to play the game by its rules. It doesn't mean we shouldn't look at other revenue streams to future proof our game.

The beauty of Easts Tigers adding a Leagues Club in Springwood on Rochedale Rd is that allotment is being converted into Logan's CBD and is located right next to a bus station that extends into the Brisbane CBD via the South East Busway with plans to extend down to the Logan Hyperdome. Put a big movie theatre in the Leagues Club and use it to screen movies during the week and as a place to watch the football on gameday while having a good feed. Make the furniture state of the art and personable so customers aren't seated next to strangers.

Latest posts