What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payne Haas requests immediate release from the Broncos.

blaza88z

Coach
When his contract finishes his only going to be 24, it's actually a shame he can't just knuckle down for 2 more seasons on 800k then see what his management can get him, his career is only just starting.. Broncos are in a good spot if they can keep most these young guys which is made harder by a 22 year old prop wanting 1million+.

There's no chance we give him a million, maybe under the old management but Dave Donaghy and Benny Ikin are no mugs

It will also be a test for Freddy. He famously has his ‘no d!ckheads’ policy and hates the contract distractions in camp. Will he pick Haas with this hanging over his head?

I’m all for players maximising their contracts but this doesn’t seem to be being played the right way; would be delicious if Haas’s actions cost him $90k in SOO game fees.

yobbo84

First Grade
If he was to switch clubs, any contract he signs the NRL will need to use the whole 'notional value' thing they pluck out when it suits them. Considering his salary is essentially public knowledge and all.

blaza88z

Coach
What will they do if he drops his bottom lip and starts playing like shit.

Drop him, we have good depth in our forwards this season

Carrigan has been great, Jensen and Palasia have been really good too.. Kobe Hetherington off the bench

nick87

Coach
As much as you want to say the players hold the power, in reality its about 20 of them that do. The rest have the protection of the union and contract law. Luckily for the rest the clubs don't have a binding union in the same way.

There has to be some sort of protection for clubs(and TBH fans) from greedy agents and the like. Whether its non-competes or something as simple as players being held to the financial terms for the length of their current contract wherever they land.

I mean, the clubs do have power... Brisbane can absolutely dig their heels and say "No. You're contracted until X, and you'll play here or no where until then"

But the reality is when the rubber mets the road, how does that help the broncos? To have a disengaged, highly paid player at their club who might influence the playing group and undermine what they're trying to build
The clubs DO have power but they quite rightly understand keeping these guys to "make a stand" simply isnt worth the f**king trouble. They make that decision themselves.

But i do agree, whilst im unapologetic in my support of the players in almost all these situations and firmly believe they should get as much money as they can as quickly as they can, by whatever means they need... the balance isn't right and i think that last setence about the players being unable to earn more at another club if they force their way out sounds pretty reasonable... but then i think i look at that from the Broncos perspective here... if Payne Haas isnt playing for the Broncos, they dont want him going to a rival on the same dollars! If they're losing the player, the only solace to take is that some poor club is going to pay him 1m+ and decimate their cap for the pleasure!

Just spit balling here I think maybe there could something like a tax... if the move is mutal, and both clubs and player all agree, they can figure out the details, but in the event of a club feeling like the player has forced it's way out, there is a tax, and the club taking on the player will have an additional cap hit of say 20% on top of the new salary.

I wonder how keen clubs would be to take on Payne Haas if they're taking on an additonal 20% cap hit on top of his salary, and if the interest from the club isnt as strong, they'll either offer less or simply decide its not for them. And without a strong market, the player managers have less reason to entice players to break contracts.

raider62

Juniors
So Payne has turned into a payne in the Haas for the Broncs 😁 😁. Can't think of any prop/middle forward that is worth $1.000M a year in the current game.

When his contract finishes his only going to be 24, it's actually a shame he can't just knuckle down for 2 more seasons on 800k then see what his management can get him, his career is only just starting.. Broncos are in a good spot if they can keep most these young guys which is made harder by a 22 year old prop wanting 1million+.

Especially as most prop forwards play well into their mid-30s (injuries permitting). I mean players like Beetson, Sattler, Lazarus showed they did and even now you have players like JWH and Jesse Bromwich, for example, who are in their early to mid-30s still going strong playing at prop.

GongPanther

Referee
Court documents allege Haas is earning $748,000 this season before his salary increases to $798,000 in 2023 and $848,000 the next year.

That is massive coin for a prop. I can see the Broncos releasing him during the off-season.
Considering the amount of time a prop spends on the field compared to a half. This bullshit starting with T'Lolo getting that 10 year $10 mill contract, now footballers are playing "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?"

Before you know it, clubs won't have any breathing room for a complete 30 man squad.

Floodwaters

Juniors
absolute bullshit

I looked up the ladder positions of NQLD since T'Lolo signed his 10 year contract to prove I am right.

2018 - 13th (8/16)
2019 - 14th (9/15)
2020 - 14th (5/15)
2021 - 15th (7/17)

How me saying Cowboys have done nothing "absolute bullshit"?

I did word it poorly so you may have thought I meant T'Lolo hasn't performed well since signing the contract but what I meant was the team hasn't got results, which until this season they haven't and its taken until season 5 of a 10 year contract, hardly good investment for money and this season could easily turn to shit yet, still pretty early.

some11

Referee
Pretty standard for a team that loses its club legend then their other half to a career ending injury. Not really Jason's fault. He's a danger whenever he's on the field and a genuine impact player compared to Haas.

gerg

Juniors
We did, we upgraded him along the way based on his output, it's ridiculous what he is asking for right now, he's quickly gone from a fan favourite to looking like a real dickhead

It would be interesting if he did go to the market to see which clubs would come to the party for a million dollar offer, this isn't an impact player, he slogs out 200m a game in the middle and whilst that's great, it's not the stuff that will single handedly win you games of footy

For a club like the Roosters it makes complete sense. JWH coming to the end of his career. Slot Haas into that side and they're contending for the title again.