What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Parra news have reported the Hopgood signing for 2 years. 2023 & 2024.

I expect that's why he's only on the reserve list this week for NRL.

Black Panther

Juniors
He is auditioning every week in NSW Cup.

His path to NRL is blocked and he has Puru coming through the ranks so his task doesn’t get any easier. If he gets a better opportunity elsewhere he has to grab it with both hands.

It is great to see him get a debut this week, he has done it the hard way like many others in recent times. Great to see, we all hope he has a great debut.
More like an audition this week, not many games are televised for NSW Cup. This week all eyes will be firmly on him to see if he can lead us to victory in the absence of our Origin stars.

Kilkenny

Coach
Parra news have reported the Hopgood signing for 2 years. 2023 & 2024.

I expect that's why he's only on the reserve list this week for NRL.
I’m really disappointed by this news. We knew Api and Viliame were going supposedly given the nature of the salary cap but I fail to understand why we can’t offer the equal of the Eels for a player who is a standout in NSW Cup.

For every player in our top 30-34 who leaves they have to be replaced, which costs.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I’m really disappointed by this news. We knew Api and Viliame were going supposedly given the nature of the salary cap but I fail to understand why we can’t offer the equal of the Eels for a player who is a standout in NSW Cup.

For every player in our top 30-34 who leaves they have to be replaced, which costs.
He'll start at 13 for Parra and that will never happen here

Kilkenny

Coach
He'll start at 13 for Parra and that will never happen here
You have to fill a 30-34 man roster.

Depth is a key component to success even during periods where injuries are not a major factor.

You can’t keep losing quality players or fringe first graders in the manner we are doing and continue to expect success.

Something has to give at some point, and while J’Maine is not needed currently whose to say what could be the situation in six weeks time if key players get injured during origin.

Maybe we are relying on the Melbourne Storm model for success but 2023 is shaping up as a tough ask. I watched Luke Garner closely on the weekend, albeit for the first time, seriously if he is anywhere near our top 17 in 2023 after losing Kikau we are in world of hurt. He is back up 18-24 list at best.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
You have to fill a 30-34 man roster.

Depth is a key component to success even during periods where injuries are not a major factor.

You can’t keep losing quality players or fringe first graders in the manner we are doing and continue to expect success.

Something has to give at some point, and while J’Maine is not needed currently whose to say what could be the situation in six weeks time if key players get injured during origin.

Maybe we are relying on the Melbourne Storm model for success but 2023 is shaping up as a tough ask. I watched Luke Garner closely on the weekend, albeit for the first time, seriously if he is anywhere near our top 17 in 2023 after losing Kikau we are in world of hurt. He is back up 18-24 list at best.

It's obvious Hopgood isn't willing to be a squad filler.

He is ambitious. Can't blame a kid for that. Penrith can't offer him a first grade place. Parramatta can.

GongPanther

Referee
More like an audition this week, not many games are televised for NSW Cup. This week all eyes will be firmly on him to see if he can lead us to victory in the absence of our Origin stars.
Remaining TV games for reserve grade:

Round 18: Sunday 17th July 11:30 am V Western Suburbs

Round 22: Saturday 13th August 12:40 pm V Mounties.

Does not include NSWRL TV streamed games which are announced at short notice.

Kilkenny

Coach
There are kids coming through that are willing (at this stage) to be a squad filler. We can't keep them all.
100%. But you miss the point, we still have to fill a roster, we can’t let six, eight, or more players leave without filling the positions in the roster. Only the bottom four players on a roster are worth with the minimum $110,000. Every player that leaves has to be replaced and it is myth that they can be replaced on minimum money. It just seems our cap is in a far more difficult position than any of us imagined.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
100%. But you miss the point, we still have to fill a roster, we can’t let six, eight, or more players leave without filling the positions in the roster. Only the bottom four players on a roster are worth with the minimum $110,000. Every player that leaves has to be replaced and it is myth that they can be replaced on minimum money. It just seems our cap is in a far more difficult position than any of us imagined.
I hope not, If so Critter should not be prioritised. We can bring in Turuva and Jenkins assuming To'o goes with him.

snickers007

Juniors

You don't fill a roster 9 months in advance. And you also don't make a big deal out of depth signings. Which means it is far too early to be losing our minds about this.

I would have loved to keep Hopgood. But he's been in our Top 30 since 2020, and only managed 6 games. He's an out and out Lock. And we have the best Lock in the world blocking his path. Additionally, we've got a core set of Props who refuse to get injured. We would have made him a reasonable offer based on his standing in the club, and if Parra want to offer him more money and/or a better opportunity to play NRL he would be mad to stay with us.

Until I hear evidence that says we didn't try to re-sign him, I won't be laying the boot into our management over this.

I reckon he'll play for QLD one day, but he won't do it playing NSW Cup.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
We can go around and around in circles speaking about retaining certain players but I'll say it again.....Api will be missed the most and if Kenny is our answer we're in more hurt than anything else. Kikau hurts but no where near as bad as Api. Our focus should be picking up a good backrower and a crafty 9...sell off Critter and you'll be able to buy both.

Kilkenny

Coach
You don't fill a roster 9 months in advance. And you also don't make a big deal out of depth signings. Which means it is far too early to be losing our minds about this.

I would have loved to keep Hopgood. But he's been in our Top 30 since 2020, and only managed 6 games. He's an out and out Lock. And we have the best Lock in the world blocking his path. Additionally, we've got a core set of Props who refuse to get injured. We would have made him a reasonable offer based on his standing in the club, and if Parra want to offer him more money and/or a better opportunity to play NRL he would be mad to stay with us.

Until I hear evidence that says we didn't try to re-sign him, I won't be laying the boot into our management over this.

I reckon he'll play for QLD one day, but he won't do it playing NSW Cup.
According to the Gus Gould mantra effective roster management is projecting 2 years ahead. Most General Managers would concur with this.

Whether we like it or not our current management have allowed two keys players in Api and Viliame to move on closely followed by a host of fringe players. More to follow I suspect.

At the end of the day our club has focussed on the retention of our spine along with JFH, Yeo, and one or two others. This strategy will work fine while ever the core group of players remain fit, healthy and performing at there optimum.

snickers007

Juniors
According to the Gus Gould mantra effective roster management is projecting 2 years ahead. Most General Managers would concur with this.

Whether we like it or not our current management have allowed two keys players in Api and Viliame to move on closely followed by a host of fringe players. More to follow I suspect.

At the end of the day our club has focussed on the retention of our spine along with JFH, Yeo, and one or two others. This strategy will work fine while ever the core group of players remain fit, healthy and performing at there optimum.

You can't force a player to stay. Free will is a thing.

We've lost exactly 4 players from our Top 30 for 2022. 2 of them (Hopgood and Jennings) have a combined 1 match played through 12 rounds of NRL.

The sky isn't falling.