What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Was also a crap crowd but I am debunking the myth of Sydney tribalism Which has nothing to do with canberra lol.
Two sets of fans within easy travel of state of art stadium on a ice Sunday afternoon, if there was any genuine tribalism then there’d be rivallary and easily drawing a 20k plus crowd from two fanbases that allegedly consist of 500k fans, even given the two teams form.
want a crap crowd clown ?

try the 2500 at Midgets stadium on Saturday night ,
but teams in non traditional areas makes soooooooooo much sense eh

hypocrisy at its best in

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Most rugby league suporters are fairly passive compared to AFL or
Pfft, blatant whataboutism, but I'll bite.

Despite the fact that the NRL has totally neglected this whole region (ACT, Southern Tablelands, Riverina, Snowy Mountains, Murray, basically everywhere south of Bowral) for the better part of 30 years, the Raiders still have the second or third (can't be bother to do the math) highest attendance of any team per-capita, and that crowd shows up in easily the toughest conditions in the league.

The Sydney club's have every advantage-

. 4.5mil more people than Canberra to draw from.
. Stadia and public transport infrastructure that Canberra could only dream of.
. A mild climate.
. Half their games are local derbies.
.Everybody in Sydney insists that RL dominates the market, which is absolutely not the case in Canberra.
. Stupid amounts of public, private, and NRL dollars constantly thrown at the sport at every level (most of which isn't deserved and is squander BTW).
.They've had up to 100 years to cement themselves in the market, and at least in theory if not in practice, should have intergenerational support that the Raiders are only just starting to really benefit from.
.The Raiders would need pictures of somebody to get the 24/7 media coverage and free promotion that the Sydney sides get on the East Coast.

Yet despite all that, and much more, most of them are still f**k-ups that are totally reliant on oversized grants to survive, and would go broke in a heartbeat if they had to deal with the market conditions the Raiders (or Cowboys, Titans, Warriors, arguably even Knights and Storm) take for granted.

Sounds like alot of excuses, maybe it's time to move the Raiders to Perth.
Too much of a struggle in Canberra only averaged over 12,500 three times in the last 26 years.
Surely the Raiders Leagues clubs can help them out financially.

Perth Red

Post Whore
want a crap crowd clown ?

try the 2500 at Midgets stadium on Saturday night ,
but teams in non traditional areas makes soooooooooo much sense eh

hypocrisy at its best in

mmm
St George v Souths 11.2k
Manly 9.2k
Bulldogs v tigers 14k
Melbourne Storm 19.2k

And non traditional area teams don't make sense? lol

Colk

First Grade

Too much of a struggle in Canberra only averaged over 12,500 three times in the last 26 years.

Haha as a Raiders fan maybe we should. On a serious note, the crowds for most clubs are a concern.

Btw the owners of the Raiders are well off financially, so the Raiders are one of the more stable clubs in the competition.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Agreed the crowds for the whole game are concerning can't seem to hit that average 20k. Maybe the invisible man has the cure if we can ever find him, Abdo that is.

I see it was OK for V'landys to go to England for the races yet when past leaders wanted to go away for things not associated with the game they were crucified.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed the crowds for the whole game are concerning can't seem to hit that average 20k. Maybe the invisible man has the cure if we can ever find him, Abdo that is.

I see it was OK for V'landys to go to England for the races yet when past leaders wanted to go away for things not associated with the game they were crucified.
Vlandys just had a running war with NSWRL that ended in court and not one mention on any RL shows. He's a protected species lol.

re crowds only Smith has actually cared tbf. Everyone else shrugs their shoulders and says gives us more tv money. I'd start by making U16's $5 for the cheap seats and $15 for the good seats max. Ridiculous we are charging kids $35 to watch an NRL game!

we have a new clown in town
enjoy image7009191x.jpg

Pippen94

First Grade
Vlandys just had a running war with NSWRL that ended in court and not one mention on any RL shows. He's a protected species lol.

re crowds only Smith has actually cared tbf. Everyone else shrugs their shoulders and says gives us more tv money. I'd start by making U16's $5 for the cheap seats and $15 for the good seats max. Ridiculous we are charging kids $35 to watch an NRL game!

Broadcast rights is more money

Perth Red

Post Whore
first one is a thursday
2nd is a friday 6pm
3rd is between 2 bottom 4 clubs

4th is between 2 top 4 clubs
but but rl heartland, tribalism, blah blah blah.
two clubs in one city shouldn’t be drawing such sht crowds or what’s the point? tribalism is bs when it comes to Sydney rl.

The Great Dane

First Grade
'It's too hard to travel a suburb over' is an excuse, what I presented are all objective realities of each market.

People like you are the reason this sport is f**ked. You're like a cancer on the pituitary gland stunting it's growth, and until the cancer is excised RL will always be a midget when it could be a giant.

You reap what you sow I guess.

Our clubs need to market themselves to new audiences. Tourists. University students. Foreign workers.

1.05 M international tourists travelled to Brisbane in the 12 months before June 2020. Make an NRL game at Lang Park the most important thing on the "To Do" list. Just getting one in five international tourists to attend a game at Lang Park would help attendances. That's 200k and an average of 16.6k per game for the Broncos or 8k for them and Dolphins. Throw a ticket in every holiday package.

Last edited:
but but rl heartland, tribalism, blah blah blah.
two clubs in one city shouldn’t be drawing such sht crowds or what’s the point? tribalism is bs when it comes to Sydney rl.
but but but
new untapped markets , new fans

phhhtt
19K out of 5 million plus for a team as successful as the storm is pathetic no need to bring out the polish to shine that turd.

lessons to be learnt , no more teams in non traditional markets
period!!

Pippen94

First Grade
Not for clubs if they had decent fanbases. $15mill tv grant v $30mill they could make from fans if they had enough.

Those numbers are bs. Broadcasting rights getting bigger every time. Save concern trolling over crowds for ppl who don't know better..

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Blah
'It's too hard to travel a suburb over' is an excuse, what I presented are all objective realities of each market.

People like you are the reason this sport is f**ked. You're like a cancer on the pituitary gland stunting it's growth, and until the cancer is excised RL will always be a midget when it could be a giant.

You reap what you sow I guess.
Blah blah blah.....'Objective realities' ie. excuses.

Interesting you believe the sport is f**ked and I'm one of the reasons For this, little old influential me.
I thought it would be more a case of the direction our 'great' leadership is taking the game.😜

Colk

First Grade
Those numbers are bs. Broadcasting rights getting bigger every time. Save concern trolling over crowds for ppl who don't know better..

What numbers are bs? Also having multiple income sources is just smart business practice.

Latest posts