What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Two western sydney clubs playing in state of the art stadium on a nice Sunday afternoon couldn't crack 15k yesterday. Tribalism my arse!

mongoose

Coach
Two western sydney clubs playing in state of the art stadium on a nice Sunday afternoon couldn't crack 15k yesterday. Tribalism my arse!
2 bottom 4 sides... hopefully more start to show up at Dogs games though, they are starting to play some good footy.

siv

First Grade
The habit of going to footy on a Sunday afternoon watching 3 grades

Has been replaced by - was there a game finally on Sunday afternoon?

Sorry family has other plans for me - schedule is too confusing for them and Sunday games are now bottom of the table clashes anyway, we can watch on TV when get home as uts only 1 game these days

Perth Red

Post Whore
The habit of going to footy on a Sunday afternoon watching 3 grades

Has been replaced by - was there a game finally on Sunday afternoon?

Sorry family has other plans for me - schedule is too confusing for them and Sunday games are now bottom of the table clashes anyway, we can watch on TV when get home as uts only 1 game these days
Spoken like a true Sydney RL fan lol. I mean its not like its hard to find your clubs fixture list is it?
If you cared. you'd be there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
12,500 In Canberra on a nice afternoon, why wasnt it full?
Was also a crap crowd but I am debunking the myth of Sydney tribalism Which has nothing to do with canberra lol.
Two sets of fans within easy travel of state of art stadium on a ice Sunday afternoon, if there was any genuine tribalism then there’d be rivallary and easily drawing a 20k plus crowd from two fanbases that allegedly consist of 500k fans, even given the two teams form.

Was also a crap crowd but I am debunking the myth of Sydney tribalism Which has nothing to do with canberra lol.
Two sets of fans within easy travel of state of art stadium on a ice Sunday afternoon, if there was any genuine tribalism then there’d be rivallary and easily drawing a 20k plus crowd from two fanbases that allegedly consist of 500k fans, even given the two teams form.
The fact they're both struggling on the field should have drawn more people to the game as it was a genuine chance for a rare win.

siv

First Grade
Spoken like a true Sydney RL fan lol. I mean its not like its hard to find your clubs fixture list is it?
If you cared. you'd be there.
You think everyone around you, family and friends are football fans and also know the draw

Many are not

And arrange events to suite them. You can almost guarantee the one sunday game a year with have a family argument to be able to attend

And by the way I dont live in Sydney

Perth Red

Post Whore
H
You think everyone around you, family and friends are football fans and also know the draw

Many are not

And arrange events to suite them. You can almost guarantee the one sunday game a year with have a family argument to be able to attend

And by the way I dont live in Sydney
How can you not know the fixtures well In advance? everyone has access to nrl.com! It’s just an excuse, and a poor one at that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not when they are performing poorly. Its not just Sydney but across the whole game.
Again we are told the reason we need so many clubs in Sydney is tribalism. When two teams from the same region of Sydney can’t crack 15k when everything except form is in their favour then it shows it up for the myth that it is.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Fair enough, however Canberra should be drawing better crowds. My point is the game struggles for crowds across the whole game.
Pfft, blatant whataboutism, but I'll bite.

Despite the fact that the NRL has totally neglected this whole region (ACT, Southern Tablelands, Riverina, Snowy Mountains, Murray, basically everywhere south of Bowral) for the better part of 30 years, the Raiders still have the second or third (can't be bother to do the math) highest attendance of any team per-capita, and that crowd shows up in easily the toughest conditions in the league.

The Sydney club's have every advantage-

. 4.5mil more people than Canberra to draw from.
. Stadia and public transport infrastructure that Canberra could only dream of.
. A mild climate.
. Half their games are local derbies.
.Everybody in Sydney insists that RL dominates the market, which is absolutely not the case in Canberra.
. Stupid amounts of public, private, and NRL dollars constantly thrown at the sport at every level (most of which isn't deserved and is squander BTW).
.They've had up to 100 years to cement themselves in the market, and at least in theory if not in practice, should have intergenerational support that the Raiders are only just starting to really benefit from.
.The Raiders would need pictures of somebody to get the 24/7 media coverage and free promotion that the Sydney sides get on the East Coast.

Yet despite all that, and much more, most of them are still f**k-ups that are totally reliant on oversized grants to survive, and would go broke in a heartbeat if they had to deal with the market conditions the Raiders (or Cowboys, Titans, Warriors, arguably even Knights and Storm) take for granted.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I wouldn't exactly look to this as an example of racial and social cohesion. The US even today is strongly divided in most things.
I didn't...

What I meant was, if Australia follows that path it will become even more balkanised along racial and ethnic lines like America is. In other words things will continue to get worse until they get as bad as things are in America, or worse.

It's honestly a universal problem in the West at this point, and it's largely because of the almost total abandonment of liberal individualist principles in favour of collectivist ideologies. Though it's nothing new for bad actors to prey on people's worst tribal instincts, it's sad that people are so readily falling for it again when so much progress had been made, and are being used to attack the tools that made that progress possible.

Liberal as in the philosophy, not as in a synonym for any political party or their policies BTW. It being necessary to make that distinction is a sad indictment of the state of things in of it's self.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
There’s literally a thread to talk about how much some of you hate Sydney clubs why not dump your bs in that

Latest posts