What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL2 Second Division

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would it be more successful?! It would be a thousand times more expensive to run
Because its a legitimate comp, not a reserve grade. Because its bringing Professional Rl to places that dont currently have it. Because it would be higher profile than the current State comps.
It wouldnt cost a thousand times lol. You're tendency to exaggeration is amusing. NRL currently funds the two state comps tot he tune of around $40mill a year so you'd be looking at 2-3 times the cost of the current state leagues max. The NRL clubs can then fund their own reserve grades from the massive NRL grant they now get and their pokie dens for those that have them.

Canard

Immortal
Because its a legitimate comp, not a reserve grade. Because its bringing Professional Rl to places that dont currently have it. Because it would be higher profile than the current State comps.
It wouldnt cost a thousand times lol. You're tendency to exaggeration is amusing. NRL currently funds the two state comps tot he tune of around $40mill a year so you'd be looking at 2-3 times the cost of the current state leagues max. The NRL clubs can then fund their own reserve grades from the massive NRL grant they now get and their pokie dens for those that have them.

Basically you are saying that re-branding the current state comps, would be suddenly increase there profile?

And by what mechanism would be used to avoid these clubs having there own Leagues Clubs (Pokie dens)?

How would you stop it being a feeder competition for the NRL? Punish clubs that establish pathways for there players to the NRL?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Basically you are saying that re-branding the current state comps, would be suddenly increase there profile?

And by what mechanism would be used to avoid these clubs having there own Leagues Clubs (Pokie dens)?

How would you stop it being a feeder competition for the NRL? Punish clubs that establish pathways for there players to the NRL?
Nope, Im saying creating a genuine second tier competition, which is not what the current state comps provide, will increase that new comps profile.

Im not saying they cant have them, I'm saying that at the moment clubs without them (or NRL sponsors) are stuffed. The new comp will have enough grant and revenue generation that it will no longer be a requirement for success.

Simple, you would not allow NRL registered players to play in it. It can still be a pathway in that any talent could be spotted in the comp and sign with any NRL club, maybe with a signing fee to the second tier club as compensation. but it wouldn't be this mess of a reserve grade we currently have.

Reactions: siv

Colk

First Grade

I don’t see the point of all this if the NRL are still going to use their own reserve grade teams separate to this competition. You are essentially creating a pseudo national third grade competition.

Now, if this were a way in which you could feed talent directly to the NRL, essentially replacing the structures as they are, then it would make sense. If you were advocating this as a way to introduce a promotion/relegation system (I’m completely against that idea btw) then again sure

Surely a better way would be to reconfigure the QRL/NSWRL Cups from where they are atm or conversely get rid of the NSW/QLD Cup as they are and replace them with this idea

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don’t see the point of all this if the NRL are still going to use their own reserve grade teams separate to this competition. You are essentially creating a pseudo national third grade competition.

Now, if this were a way in which you could feed talent directly to the NRL, essentially replacing the structures as they are, then it would make sense. If you were advocating this as a way to introduce a promotion/relegation system (I’m completely against that idea btw) then again sure

Surely a better way would be to reconfigure the QRL/NSWRL Cups from where they are atm or conversely get rid of the NSW/QLD Cup as they are and replace them with this idea
That’s ok, it’s ok to have different ideas and opinions.

Colk

First Grade
That’s ok, it’s ok to have different ideas and opinions.

Fair enough. I don’t have a problem with the idea in terms of giving areas access to the game (look I love the idea of having country teams, Fiji, PNG, WA, SA etc) but I would prefer to either have it as a replacement of the current QLD/NSW Cup model or have it merged with the current QLD/NSW Cups. Essentially have it like the minor leagues in Baseball

In order for that to happen, I would cut teams without a logo/identity already in the NRL, so that would mean hypothetically the Steelers, Bears, Magpies, Jets, maybe a few country sides, SA, Vic, Fiji and a NZ side or two in the NSW Division

QLD Cup wouldn’t need to change too much other than getting rid of the Dolphins. Maybe some Queenslanders could suggest whether others could drop off. Add WA and NT to that competition and voila.

Like the Minor Leagues, the reserve players and semi professionals could be funnelled into those sides. Players from those competitions can get short term contracts directly from any of the NRL teams, similar to the loan systems you saw during COVID. A positive with perhaps that last bit is you could prevent the stockpiling of talent.

TheGrifter

Juniors
ISurely a better way would be to reconfigure the QRL/NSWRL Cups from where they are atm or conversely get rid of the NSW/QLD Cup as they are and replace them with this idea
Qld Cup and NSW Cup are not equals.

The Qld Cup has always been a proper state wide competition in it's own right. The clubs all have their own identities and unique histories and genuinely represent their areas. They all have links to NRL clubs, but they aren't defined by that.

NSW Cup was formed out of the NSWRL reserve grade competition, and today is still mainly a reserve grade competition for Sydney NRL clubs. Historically this was because the NSWRL membership consisted of the Sydney NRL clubs, so everything was run for their own benefit.

Maybe the best hope for a true NRL2 is for the Qld Cup expand and evolve into it...much like the way the NSWRL evolved into the NRL.

Pippen94

First Grade

Turning NSW & qld cup into bigger comp than NRL in terms of geography won't increase costs much huh?! Notice how many teams are currently based in Sydney or Brisbane.

Still haven't articulated why anybody would watch 2nd division but I guess it all makes sense in ur head..

siv

First Grade
Maybe the best hope for a true NRL2 is for the Qld Cup expand and evolve into it...much like the way the NSWRL evolved into the NRL.
No the best way forward us to setup NRL reserve grade

Then NSW Cup can evolve into exactly what you want a state wide cup

Colk

First Grade
Qld Cup and NSW Cup are not equals.

The Qld Cup has always been a proper state wide competition in it's own right. The clubs all have their own identities and unique histories and genuinely represent their areas. They all have links to NRL clubs, but they aren't defined by that.

NSW Cup was formed out of the NSWRL reserve grade competition, and today is still mainly a reserve grade competition for Sydney NRL clubs. Historically this was because the NSWRL membership consisted of the Sydney NRL clubs, so everything was run for their own benefit.

I agree. I think the QLD Cup is a much better way of going about it. Would all the QLD Cup sides have the money to be in such a Como (I know some like Easts and Wynnum Manly do but would others)

From there you could add the Bears, Steelers, Magpies Jets, a few country sides from NSW, (Northern NSW/Central Tablelands/Riverina etc) WA, NT, SA, VIC and maybe a few Pacific sides.

I would still split it into divisions to help with travel costs

Colk

First Grade
No the best way forward us to setup NRL reserve grade

Then NSW Cup can evolve into exactly what you want a state wide cup

I don’t see the point of a NRL reserve grade conpetition with the existing clubs

Colk

First Grade
Turning NSW & qld cup into bigger comp than NRL in terms of geography won't increase costs much huh?! Notice how many teams are currently based in Sydney or Brisbane.

Still haven't articulated why anybody would watch 2nd division but I guess it all makes sense in ur head..

There’s only one team in Brisbane so that doesn’t help your argument. That’s got to do with the history of the NSW Cup and a lack of vision thereafter, not because of any kind of strategic vision to reduce costs.

Pippen94

First Grade
Fair enough. I don’t have a problem with the idea in terms of giving areas access to the game (look I love the idea of having country teams, Fiji, PNG, WA, SA etc) but I would prefer to either have it as a replacement of the current QLD/NSW Cup model or have it merged with the current QLD/NSW Cups. Essentially have it like the minor leagues in Baseball

In order for that to happen, I would cut teams without a logo/identity already in the NRL, so that would mean hypothetically the Steelers, Bears, Magpies, Jets, maybe a few country sides, SA, Vic, Fiji and a NZ side or two in the NSW Division

QLD Cup wouldn’t need to change too much other than getting rid of the Dolphins. Maybe some Queenslanders could suggest whether others could drop off. Add WA and NT to that competition and voila.

Like the Minor Leagues, the reserve players and semi professionals could be funnelled into those sides. Players from those competitions can get short term contracts directly from any of the NRL teams, similar to the loan systems you saw during COVID. A positive with perhaps that last bit is you could prevent the stockpiling of talent.

There’s only one team in Brisbane so that doesn’t help your argument. That’s got to do with the history of the NSW Cup and a lack of vision thereafter, not because of any kind of strategic vision to reduce costs.

Are you on crack?! There's 6 Brisbane teams in qld cup & 3 further about an hours or so away.

Yeah, interstate & international travel increases costs for feeder league.

Diesel

Coach
Would this second division Be a feeder to NRL, or would the NRL teams have their separate 30 man squad?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would this second division Be a feeder to NRL, or would the NRL teams have their separate 30 man squad?
Ideally to give it genuine legitimacy it would be a stand alone comp. Basically NRL has its own 17 reserve grade sides then NRL2 made up of new cities without professional teams and elevation of some of the QRL and NSW cup teams to Ft stand alone clubs. Doesn't stop NRL signing players from NRL2 if they have talent but doesn't act as a pseudo reserve grade that takes away interest and fairness as a genuine comp worth winning in its own right.

NRL reserve grade would be made up of the 13 players not in first team plus U21 players.

I dont think there are many sports around the world that dont have some version of a stand alone second tier?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Of course this hairbrained idea is reliant on NRL having the ability to generate the same sort of revenue that AFL does. If it can close that $250mill a year gap then there is no reason the NRl couldn't afford to expand to 18 clubs and bring in a 12 club NRL2 AND help NRL clubs fund a proper reserve grade. The NRL can then go up to 20 club when it feels ready by promoting two clubs out of NRL 2, they then get replaced with the next 2 strategic importnat areas in NRL2.

Imagine an extra 240 FT positions available for aspiring or winding down RL players. Maybe a standard wage of $100k per player and each club is allowed 4 marquee signings on $250k each for a $3mill salary cap. I wonder how many talented players currently lost to the game either because they retired early or weren't picked up by NRL contracts would still be playing if that was a career option for them?

Latest posts