What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd20: Parra v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank 29/7/22

TheRam

Coach
We were leading 12-4 when Cleary went off their attack was shit up until half time and they were all over the shop in defence trying to organise it.

In attack they were throwing the ball around trying to chase points which isn't what Penrith do. They kick long chase hard and get back in the game with their defence like they did last week.

But ignore this and complain 🤣

Mate they put overlaps on us. But ignore that and live in ox dumb bliss.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Not sure if it was noticable on TV but Edwards is offside EVERY tackle when defending their line. Even when standing alongside the ref. Worst I have ever seen. Funny thing was he was so offside, Rheed shot past him to score his try from dummy half.

Eelementary

Post Whore
They weren't a well-drilled and highly-disciplined side when we played football in the first half though were they?

All these excuses are just that, excuses. We had wiped them by the end of the first half. They had to do so much more tackling then us that they were spent and would have been preying that we didn't come out in the second half with the same vigor and tactics as in the first half or by the 50th or 60th minute they would have been absolutely fu*ked and the points would have come thick and fast.

And guess what? Their prayers came true and we came out as meek as a mouse and gave them time to reclaim the ascendency and they ended up outscoring us. How pathetic and embarrassing on our behalf. What do you think would have happened if the tables were reverse and we were the ones playing with 12 men? Do you think the Panthers would have bumbled around like we did and lost the second half?

I don't believe a rational explanation is to be confused with an excuse.

Penrith had no choice but to pick their game up in the second half, which they did.

They are a much better side overall than we are; they are used to high pressure. We aren't.

We should have scored more points in the second half, but the fact we didn't is a testament to their professionalism.

TheRam

Coach
Its interesting .... cos when we beat the ruff earlier this year, it was a tight game but we went away from em in the second half - by passing the ball a bit wider and getting outside their charging defenders close to the ruck .... that seemed to change mid game

Last night we did that early and obviously blew em away .... i guess the wonderful players just made those tactics up both times ... the same players everyone loves to call pea hearts and dumb dumbs.

Also interesting that Hoops' halftime report from our dressing room was that BAs key message was, and i quote, cos i just rewatched it, "do not take the foot off the jugular" .... but then i guess Hoops is bald too.

Mate it's not that he doesn't want them to go on with it. The problem is he doesn't know how to get them to go on with it.

Great coaches know how to get into the heads of their players, especially the leaders who then execute the "do not take the foot off the jugular" sentiment/message.

emjaycee

Coach
Yes we’ve beaten them twice but it’ll mean sweet f all if we lose to them in the semis.
So maybe we should wait until that happens and then dump all our shit on the coach, the club, the players, the ref and whoever else we feel we want to blame and in the meantime just enjoy the fact that our awesome bunch of players held the premiers to 2 tries (they average 28 points per game this year) and our weekend is a lot better than the Cleary households.

strider

Post Whore
Mate it's not that he doesn't want them to go on with it. The problem is he doesn't know how to get them to go on with it.

Great coaches know how to get into the heads of their players, especially the leaders who then execute the "do not take the foot off the jugular" sentiment/message.
So you think they stuck to the plan in the first half with good motivation, told em to go on with it, but somehow with a different plan/motivation?

TheRam

Coach
My take is this.

If everyone's fit Penrith are going to be very hard to beat. Reality is there halves where missing and centre. But I also feel they are beatable. They play a system and players have a role. Take them out of it and many of their players are just above average including Nathan. Look he is 24 and an excellent player who won't peak until 26/27. But he isn't the best halfback in the game. Ben Hunt and DCE are superior. They are just in far worse sides.

Panthers rely on fitness and a fast tempo. I don't see mind blowing attack. They just wear you down and run over you in the last 20mins.
I still think the key is if your ahead play a very slow game with lots of stopages. If you let the game play too fast they are just to mobile and fit. They will get quick play the balls and just roll you. Slow them down and they can be stopped easier then some imagine.

At 2-1 I wouldn't touch them to win comp. It's heating up and I reckon we might see a few twists and turns before the seasons over.

Very, very good post Hindy. They are very beatable if you play a power game with points of difference in attack to keep them from piling up on you in defense and do it for the entire 80 mins.

And I too think that they are very overrated including Cleary and they are very lucky to have a well balanced squad in an era of weaker NRL teams due to the lack of genuine superstar playmakers in particular like in previous years/decades. But they are very well coached and are very mobile and fit which gives this well balanced team a great consistently good advantage and the winning results that they keep getting.

Black Panther

Juniors
So maybe we should wait until that happens and then dump all our shit on the coach, the club, the players, the ref and whoever else we feel we want to blame and in the meantime just enjoy the fact that our awesome bunch of players held the premiers to 2 tries (they average 28 points per game this year) and our weekend is a lot better than the Cleary households.
You do realise we played with a an short for 62 mins right?

strider

Post Whore
Watched it again. We actually started the 2nd half well. Moses 2nd 40/20. We were on their line .... obviously the panthers switched on and took a bit of pride and muscled up ... i reckon the 2nd half turned when Sivo got smashed into touch by To'o to save a try (and even then sivo came very close to getting the pass away before his foot went down) .... had we scored that try, might have panned out differently

IFR33K

Coach

Unlike some I’ll celebrate the win. But not ready to rub one out just yet.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Pennys did in the second half what our 2s did with 12 men and only 11 for ten minutes. They were good. No disgrace by our Eels.

Latest posts