What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday Rnd 21 vs Sea Eagles 🦅

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So you’re of the opinion he deserves to be in the top 30 and deserved a place on the bench in round 1?
And the point being ? What’s that got to do with being rated or not?

anyhow, I wouIdnt have picked him on the bench (I can see the logic why they did) and my opinion is we need a dummy half option instead on the bench, but at the same time, I don’t know all thinking of the coaching brains trust - as nothing is as simple as us fans think….

and yes he deserves top 30, his form in NSW cup is pretty bloody good (stats back it up) and half options are rare….

anyhow do you think the storm rate Pezet?

Sean7

Juniors
I keep saying that halfbacks are as rare as hens teeth. Just look at what coin Brookes is on and he is rubbish.

What is even more rare is a no frills steady eddy at age 19. He's the opposite to Moses and probably has nothing in his bag of tricks, but he can get a repeat set, make his tackles and get to the 5th.

He has never let us down, yet you'd think that he was Paul Carriage reincarnated from these pages.

The tits would take him. Dunno who the other team might be. Dogs ?
It depends on how you define letting us down. Has he been awful in every game except his debut? I would say yes. There are some players that play at their own pace and appear to have all the time in the world. Jake plays at his own pace while everyone around him continues at full speed so he has no time to do anything.

I hope that changes tonight and he's up to the pace of the game. So far he has looked completely out of his depth. Not even close to looking like a first grader... so far. Good luck to him, but let's be realistic about what he has actually shown so far. People are not upset that he's the coach's son. They are upset that he has played the way he has played and from an outsider perspective at least, a non-Arthur would not be picked again based on those performances.

Anyway, the way he can turn around the perception is to play well... simple. And I hope he does.

And I think the booing is bullsh!t just so you know.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So you think a 19 year old half already playing NRL and top 30 and being chased by 2 NRL clubs to be their starting half, isn’t highly rated ? Gee most other 19 year old halves are still playing flegg…

I think we have a different opinion of highly rated…

it’s a stupid assumption that a club doesn’t rate a junior because they want to keep the NRL player in front of them…..I could show lots of examples of NRL clubs doing the same……..does the storm rate Pezet (4 months younger than JA) ? They mustn’t because they trying real hard to keep Munster and just resigned Hughes to a big deal….any opinion on that?

finally Drown and JA are totally different players…..totally different skill sets, Drown strengths are running / defence, more a traditional 5/8 then half and is a lot more “powerful” then JA, thus he could be a permanently start at a younger age….JA is a “controlling half”, which takes time to learn (see Matty Johns on how to develop a half)…..plenty halves in this style took time to develop (see Townsend for example….)
And don’t forget Drown is a utility. He would kill it at fullback or centre.

Legal Eel

Juniors
It depends on how you define letting us down. Has he been awful in every game except his debut? I would say yes. There are some players that play at their own pace and appear to have all the time in the world. Jake plays at his own pace while everyone around him continues at full speed so he has no time to do anything.

I hope that changes tonight and he's up to the pace of the game. So far he has looked completely out of his depth. Not even close to looking like a first grader... so far. Good luck to him, but let's be realistic about what he has actually shown so far. People are not upset that he's the coach's son. They are upset that he has played the way he has played and from an outsider perspective at least, a non-Arthur would not be picked again based on those performances.

Anyway, the way he can turn around the perception is to play well... simple. And I hope he does.

And I think the booing is bullsh!t just so you know.
The myth that people like Gronk propagate about Jakob Arthur is that he is "steady" and "never lets anyone down".

There is a difference between "steady" and being so slow as to be a complete handbrake in attack and a passenger in defence.

And as for never letting anyone down, what would you call it when someone has as abominable a win record as Jakob (when compared to our record without him)? Isn't that letting the team down?

Boy I hope all of this blows up in my face tonight and the kid kills it.

the phantom menace

First Grade
All Jake has to do tonight to be steady is pass to Dylan Brown, or to Gutherson when he injects himself. And put on some long kicks for territory.

I think his defence is ok enough for a half, so long as he co-ordinates with the players to each side of him.

hindy111

Post Whore
David Riccio again stated, this time on SEN, 2 clubs made enquires about JA, as they wanted him as their starting halfback…..

I don't like the idea of two halves in a million. I hope he comes good and we can release Moses end of 2023. We'd probably then have 700k up our sleeve and could build a better balanced side.

hindy111

Post Whore
111 said he’s not rated that highly by the eels. That’s not the same as rated. Way to cherry pick his words.

also if he was rated that highly, don’t you think the club wouldn’t be concerned about losing Brown or Moses? Yet they’re trying to extend both players. Just like that club rated drown in 18/19 and they moved on Norman.

And who cares if 3 clubs are chasing JA. How does that impact the eels on how much the club rates him?

sorry mate. Your post missed the point entirely

Yes. I basicaly said the club may rate him as the perfect back up. Someone who isn't going to be a star or demand a lot of money but they could teach the system and could be called upon if an injury.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Tbh, Jake hasn't played that poorly.

Yes, he is struggling to get used to the pace of First Grade (and fair enough, too; Moses has more First Grade experience, and still takes poor options).

But he's had some really nice touches - his chip kick try against the Tigers last year was a beauty.

I would say that our so-called "leaders" should make it their mission to protect him, and make him feel comfortable.

And I'd say they've failed so far.

JokerEel

Coach
The myth that people like Gronk propagate about Jakob Arthur is that he is "steady" and "never lets anyone down".

There is a difference between "steady" and being so slow as to be a complete handbrake in attack and a passenger in defence.

And as for never letting anyone down, what would you call it when someone has as abominable a win record as Jakob (when compared to our record without him)? Isn't that letting the team down?

Boy I hope all of this blows up in my face tonight and the kid kills it.
Dude if he has a good game tonight you wankers will be saying it was 1 game against a shit Manly team and death riding him next week.

Rinse and repeat with the death riders 😂

Eelementary

Post Whore
Dude if he has a good game tonight you wankers will be saying it was 1 game against a shit Manly team and death riding him next week.

Rinse and repeat with the death riders 😂

Kid can't win.

I don't think it's unfair to say he isn't quite ready for First Grade.

But some of the carry on about his selection is a little over the top - he's not losing us games (though he's not exactly winning them for us, either).

He's doing his job.

Brown, Gutherson, Mahoney, and Paulo need to step up, and provide some leadership to him, imo.