What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

Floodwaters

Juniors
Dude at the time the club were saying Furner could win 100 spoons in a row and they'd still keep him.

You only need to look at the Matthew Elliott/Neil Henry/David Furner reign of error to see why Ricky is still in the job. The Raiderps were a team that had a repeating cycle of getting knocked out first week of the finals one year to being a legitimate wooden spoon contender the next.

Ricky has delivered a GF appearance and two PFs, and with the exception of 2014 where he inherited a flaming dumpster the worst the team has done on the ladder is 10th.

He has had a good best 17 the entire time so not winning a comp is a failure imo.

If Bennett or Bellamy had Stuarts 17 they would have certainly made the finals every year and won a comp.

Context matters. The only reason he brought up the childhood drama was because of what just happened. If the bloke played like a gentleman the past stuff wouldn't have been mentioned. The point was it is a character issue and not a one off.
Still going this asshole , don’t they have medication they can take

Exsilium

First Grade
Imagine calling someone a dog of any kind right after you sign a contract which extended the suffering of your dearest fans. Most of which are on here.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Having now learned about the backstory, all it confirms to me is how much of a vindictive turd Stuart actually is. It was a momentary incident in junior footy 12 years ago ffs. How does he even remember it?? Not to mention the bad example it sets that here we have a head coach in the NRL that almost got into a parental blue at a junior footy game. I thought that sort of petty shit was 100% frowned upon in the sporting world?

He needs to cop it, I'm sorry. He has made himself look like a massive dick, and I feel sorry for Whitehead having to sit next to the wanker while he had his meltdown.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can’t understand why players keep wanting to leave canberra with such a stellar bloke to play under.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Vossy said this morning on his show the silence from Canberra has been pathetic and i agree with him.

Not one statement distancing themselves from the comments or condoning what Ricky said.

Is those comments from Ricky what the club stands for.

BLN2

Juniors
Considering Stuart has in his Raiders shed the likes CHN, Wighton, Starling, Young and Elliott who have had serious issues on and off the pitch - He should keep his gripe over a 12 year old to himself.. Seriously what a cock.

skeepe

Immortal
Vossy said this morning on his show the silence from Canberra has been pathetic and i agree with him.

Not one statement distancing themselves from the comments or condoning what Ricky said.

Is those comments from Ricky what the club stands for.
Mate, the family farm don’t turn on each other. Pigs will fly before the club criticises Ricky

skeepe

Immortal
For those interested in the reason why Ricky would jump at the chance to join the Raiders no matter how things were going at Parra - and why he’s safe at the Raiders for as long as he wants -these extracts might help. The “decision” mentioned here is sacking Furner

The fall out from the decision was felt at the highest levels of the club, with chair John McIntyre saying the sacking didn’t sit comfortably with him.

McIntyre was the Raiders’ inaugural boss and his father, Les, was the club’s first chair. Don Furner Snr was coach. They were the key drivers behind Canberra’s entry to the NSWRL. Without them, there would be no Raiders.

Such was the anguish at having to sack David Furner, given his long-standing relationship with the Furner family, JR, as John McIntyre is widely known, felt that he had no option but to step down as chair.

JR handed over the role to his childhood friend growing up in Queanbeyan, Dr Allan Hawke, a man who had carved out an incredible career in the public service.

Ricky Stuart had earlier made it clear that he wouldn’t express interest in the Raiders job while David Furner was in the role, such was the strength of their friendship, which had its origins in their days as schoolboys.

With David Furner sacked, Ricky, who was coaching Parramatta, was sounded out about his interest in the position. Dr Hawke had been appointed by John McIntyre to chair a sub-committee to select the new coach.

Ricky and CEO Don Furner are great mates since their time in the same year and the same rugby teams at St Edmund’s College.

With Ricky as the coach, Don as the CEO, Allan Hawke as the chair and John McIntyre as the club patron, there is as strong a bond as you will find in sport. The origins of that friendship from their Queanbeyan days include John McIntyre as a key figure in developing a dynasty through relationships.

gerg

Juniors
It’s in there somewhere. You need to find your way through all the posts saying we should drop Rapana, Timoko, Kris, Wighton, Fogerty, Young, Savage, Cotric, Woolford, Elliott, CHN, Starling, Sutton and Guler first.

If the GH had their way there wouldn't be 17 players available for the Raiders. If Skeepe had his way all of the referees would be in his basement waiting for the daily application of the lotion.

Sphagnum

Coach
That's not remotely accurate. He left the parra job because the Raiders job opened up and that was his dream coaching job. Had nothing to do with the job being too tough, in fact the project situation pretty clearly shows he was very much up for that challenge, not that i think he'd have been successful mind you... but to paint it as him walking because the job was too hard is grossly inaccuate haha
Yeah Ricky doesn’t walk when the going gets tough, he just blames some kid for his team’s shortcomings and keeps coaching them into the bottom half of the table.