What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
The best stadiums in the world I think are the MSL one's all new and sub 30k

The new Castleford stadium looks pretty good and will only hold 15k.
Really? Personally I'd say Tottenhams new stadium (63k), Christchurch's proposed stadium (30k) and Mercedes stadium (71k) are all superior lol. Even the MLS stadiums you're talking about are not small, Globe Life Field for example is 40k. No major sport in the world is upgrading small stadiums with a bit of lipstick. 30k shared stadiums the quality of commbank are the future.

6 clubs (eels, Dogs, tigers @ commbank, Dragons, Roosters, Souths @ SFS) sharing the 2 stadiums in Sydney then the far flung clubs get a decent 20-25k new stadium of their own. Sydney only needs 5 stadiums to serve 9 clubs. Its currently using eleven!

Gould was right in questioning if the NRl's height of ambition is to see 14k in suburban grounds. The NRL avg is one of the lowest of any major sport in the world in a developed country.

Iamback

Coach
Really? Personally I'd say Tottenhams new stadium (63k), Christchurch's proposed stadium (30k) and Mercedes stadium (71k) are all superior lol. Even the MLS stadiums you're talking about are not small, Globe Life Field for example is 40k. No major sport in the world is upgrading small stadiums with a bit of lipstick. 30k shared stadiums the quality of commbank are the future.

6 clubs (eels, Dogs, tigers @ commbank, Dragons, Roosters, Souths @ SFS) sharing the 2 stadiums in Sydney then the far flung clubs get a decent 20-25k new stadium of their own. Sydney only needs 5 stadiums to serve 9 clubs. Its currently using eleven!

Gould was right in questioning if the NRl's height of ambition is to see 14k in suburban grounds. The NRL avg is one of the lowest of any major sport in the world in a developed country.

Unless you are rich, you have poor view. Somewhere like Commbank every seat is good and suits the lesser games

We need be realistic though 14k is enough for most games. As of July next year no team has a ground that holds less than 15k, Scatter in a few event games and builds the ave up

As for Gus, He took a home game to Bundaberg on the weekend. The game he moved, likely gets the same at Accor.

Club makes money, Atmosphere looked awesome, gets new fans interested in the game. If you purely look at averages then those games aren't possible

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unless you are rich, you have poor view. Somewhere like Commbank every seat is good and suits the lesser games

We need be realistic though 14k is enough for most games. As of July next year no team has a ground that holds less than 15k, Scatter in a few event games and builds the ave up

As for Gus, He took a home game to Bundaberg on the weekend. The game he moved, likely gets the same at Accor.

Club makes money, Atmosphere looked awesome, gets new fans interested in the game. If you purely look at averages then those games aren't possible
14k is enough if that's all your ambition stretches too. New stadiums wont do it on there own but in conjunction with better attendance strategies it will help a great deal. Some games will always draw low, but if you can maximise the big numbers opportunities then that's a great start. Price, venue, experience, game quality, travel accessibility etc all form part of an attendance strategy. Confining yourself to sub standard grounds will only ever see 14k avg's. NRL should set a min standard of 20k under cover seats as a start point for all to aim for.
We now have two state of the art stadiums in Sydney that could be home to 2/3rds of the clubs. Time for them to get into the 21st century and stop with the 'sydney is a number of villages' nonsense Abdo spouted out this week

Iamback

Coach
14k is enough if that's all your ambition stretches too. New stadiums wont do it on there own but in conjunction with better attendance strategies it will help a great deal. Some games will always draw low, but if you can maximise the big numbers opportunities then that's a great start. Price, venue, experience, game quality, travel accessibility etc all form part of an attendance strategy. Confining yourself to sub standard grounds will only ever see 14k avg's. NRL should set a min standard of 20k under cover seats as a start point for all to aim for.
We now have two state of the art stadiums in Sydney that could be home to 2/3rds of the clubs. Time for them to get into the 21st century and stop with the 'sydney is a number of villages' nonsense Abdo spouted out this week

Why do you always think you know better than those people who live here?

Sure Abdo doesn't pay for entry but his lives in Sydney, He has the same issues the rest of us do getting to games.

I used the Bulldogs v Cowboys as an example, that game will never draw much more than 14k. Playing it in a huge empty stadium makes no sense.

The trade off is Good Friday and The June Long weekend games. 30-40k in those 2, allows the rest of the games to be moved where is best for the club

Last edited:

It's Been Done

Juniors
For the record, this was the first plan for Parra Stadium way back in the day.
It was kyboshed by the friends of Parramatta Park at the time.
Thank god it was. Its roof was worse than the original SFS!!

View attachment 64724
It looks like a smaller version of what was proposed for Waverley Park in Melbourne back in the 70s
acee01156a0ff400294491fe4de615ce

Perth Red

Post Whore

Sure Abdo doesn't pay for entry but his lives in Sydney, He has the same issues the rest of us do getting to games.

I used the Bulldogs v Cowboys as an example, that game will never draw much more than 14k. Playing it in a huge empty stadium makes no sense.

The trade off is Good Friday and The June Long weekend games. 30-40k in those 2, allows the rest of the games to be moved where is best for the club
It doesn't need to be played in huge empty stadium, price it right and play it at commbank to 20k dogs fans. If dogs dont have 20k fans willing to support them then that's the problem, not the size or location of the stadium! If you've got an 18k stadium with most if it not seating and undercover then you cant get the 25k crowds big games can get that off set the 14k small games. Accor is just as bad a stadium for encouraging fans to attend as the suburban dumps being used.

There no reason the 28k at commbank the other night cant be a regular occurrence if the game in Sydney stepped out of the 70's.

Like I said NRL clubs in Sydney are some of the lowest drawing clubs in top tier comps in the developed world. There's reasons for that and its not that Rugby League is a unpopular sport no one follows.

6 clubs at commbank/sfs
20-25k new stadiums for manly, penrith and sharks. Penrith is already committed so we are literally left with NRL getting NSW govt to fund two more stadiums over the next few years.
the NRL is sorted then sorted without trying to find money to do 11 venues

Iamback

Coach
It doesn't need to be played in huge empty stadium, price it right and play it at commbank to 20k dogs fans. If dogs dont have 20k fans willing to support them then that's the problem, not the size or location of the stadium! If you've got an 18k stadium with most if it not seating and undercover then you cant get the 25k crowds big games can get that off set the 14k small games. Accor is just as bad a stadium for encouraging fans to attend as the suburban dumps being used.

There no reason the 28k at commbank the other night cant be a regular occurrence if the game in Sydney stepped out of the 70's.

Like I said NRL clubs in Sydney are some of the lowest drawing clubs in top tier comps in the developed world. There's reasons for that and its not that Rugby League is a unpopular sport no one follows.

6 clubs at commbank/sfs
20-25k new stadiums for manly, penrith and sharks. Penrith is already committed so we are literally left with NRL getting NSW govt to fund two more stadiums over the next few years.
the NRL is sorted then sorted without trying to find money to do 11 venues

Just because you hate the regions getting footy.

Penrith have gone to regions very well, We have players that wouldn't normally get from it. The trade off is losing a home game and the home average takes a hit. What is more important getting more players or an extra few thousand to a home game?

Roosters have zero local juniors yet are dominating lower grades since they aligned with Central Coast. The trade off is a home game goes there, again it is better off than possibly a few extra thousand in the gate

As for the sports popularity, several reasons behind that but the NRL ( after the last full season in 2019), Has the highest average attendance of any Rugby comp in the world.

That is League and Union.

macavity

Referee
Something that has been completely missed here is the government have very clearly and deliberately picked winners and losers.

Roosters and Eels get brand new state of the art stadiums, replacing stadiums that were already far better than all of the other Sydney teams’ stadiums.

The rest told to whistle Dixie.

Morons on Facebook say we should give money to farmers and people who built houses on flood plains instead.

Wb1234

Referee
Something that has been completely missed here is the government have very clearly and deliberately picked winners and losers.

Roosters and Eels get brand new state of the art stadiums, replacing stadiums that were already far better than all of the other Sydney teams’ stadiums.

Morons on Facebook say we should give money to farmers and people who built houses on flood plains instead.
Great point

there’s also the issue of the nrl giving the grand final away and non Sydney clubs getting no benefit out of it

that’s what surprised me the most is they haven’t complained at all about it. If I were in their shoes I probably would

macavity

Referee
Great point

there’s also the issue of the nrl giving the grand final away and non Sydney clubs getting no benefit out of it

that’s what surprised me the most is they haven’t complained at all about it. If I were in their shoes I probably would

play it on the moon for all I care, my team are a generation away from getting there.

doing Parra and the SFS before touching anything else (particularly Accor) was a disgraceful political hatchet job.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A
Just because you hate the regions getting footy.

Penrith have gone to regions very well, We have players that wouldn't normally get from it. The trade off is losing a home game and the home average takes a hit. What is more important getting more players or an extra few thousand to a home game?

Roosters have zero local juniors yet are dominating lower grades since they aligned with Central Coast. The trade off is a home game goes there, again it is better off than possibly a few extra thousand in the gate

As for the sports popularity, several reasons behind that but the NRL ( after the last full season in 2019), Has the highest average attendance of any Rugby comp in the world.

That is League and Union.
are you that naive? Some Clubs take games to those areas as they get paid to do so. The question you then Have to ask is why do clubs NEED to take them on the road, it’s because they don’t earn more at their own stadium. and why is that I hear you ask? Because they aren’t filling the stadium and selling 30 corporate boxes. Ergo we need better venues and more fans attending games.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Nope, the govt has built two state of the art stadiums for Sydney. It’s up to the clubs if they decide to use them or not. I don’t know of any govt edict that has said only certain clubs can use them.

Colk

First Grade
play it on the moon for all I care, my team are a generation away from getting there.

doing Parra and the SFS before touching anything else (particularly Accor) was a disgraceful political hatchet job.

Perhaps/perhaps not. Like most cities in the world, the best stadiums are built in the centre of the city where it is most accessible to the majority of the population.

Colk

First Grade

Sure. There is nothing stopping the Sydney clubs playing marquee games (perhaps against the other Sydney clubs) at the bigger stadiums though at the very least. They can play some of these smaller games (for example the regional clubs) at their smaller stadiums

To be frank, there doesn’t seem to be any sort of flexibility by either some of the clubs or more importantly the NRL. They have to rely on the government on spending the money to upkeep multiple stadiums and if the government aren’t willing to do that (and it doesn’t seem like they are) then they need to adapt.

Iamback

Coach
Sure. There is nothing stopping the Sydney clubs playing marquee games (perhaps against the other Sydney clubs) at the bigger stadiums though at the very least. They can play some of these smaller games (for example the regional clubs) at their smaller stadiums

To be frank, there doesn’t seem to be any sort of flexibility by either some of the clubs or more importantly the NRL. They have to rely on the government on spending the money to upkeep multiple stadiums and if the government aren’t willing to do that (and it doesn’t seem like they are) then they need to adapt.

Agreed, that is what I took Abdo's comments to mean. The combination of Stadiums as clubs do what is best

Iamback

Coach
A

are you that naive? Some Clubs take games to those areas as they get paid to do so. The question you then Have to ask is why do clubs NEED to take them on the road, it’s because they don’t earn more at their own stadium. and why is that I hear you ask? Because they aren’t filling the stadium and selling 30 corporate boxes. Ergo we need better venues and more fans attending games.

Of course the clubs go because they are paid to go. So a club should only fill those 30 corporate boxes?

The new venue has corporate areas for different sponsors though. Again in some cases it is better

I'd put the SFS down to the role and lobbying of the former SCG Trust for that. They lobbied hard for the rebuild, and the Roosters didn't have anyone on that board at all.

Steel Saints

Juniors
A
I'd put the SFS down to the role and lobbying of the former SCG Trust for that. They lobbied hard for the rebuild, and the Roosters didn't have anyone on that board at all.
And Penrith is a marginal seat with Stuart Ayres hanging on by a thread. Could be the reason why the Panthers are (potentially) getting a new stadium. These new stadiums is all about politics and the NRL snd PVL have been played.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its really not a bad outcome so far IF clubs get with the times and move permanently to these great venues that have been provided for them. Hopefully Penrith gets done, the other clubs that its feasible for move, and then there is only sharks and manly to sort out down the track. That's a great outcome for the game. Then eventually the building (or total refurb) of a proper 80k national rectangular stadium joint funded with feds to replace accor. Much better and more likely than the nonsense of trying to fix up 10 venues currently used!