What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 match Panthers V Storm

Iamback

Coach
The same narative many on here had about dylan not being up to it??

The amoung of crap i read thst staines or ceitta had to be fb haha.

No one said charlie played bad?? Most have praised him all year and said hes improved a lot.

Not one person has solely blamed staines for the two trys he COULD POTENTIALLY have stopped.

People just commented on how he actually played... he did some good.. but was poor in a few areas as well and seemed to stop doing what hes done from the wing and just run it. Those passes at the back were avg and not needed and instead of just running onto the ball when we had it in attacking territory he stood around the ruck and looked to pass.

It was by no means a poor game.. but he missed hes oppurtunity to show what or if he was really capable of lighting it up at fb at the top level.

That is it. Wasn't a poor game by any stretch

The side as a whole pretty reasonable just lacked in a few key areas.

Staines happened to be not following the play well enough but the tries aren't on all on him

martielang

Bench
Thought Staines was fine. We (understandably) had zero cohesion with the ball last night which made his job almost impossible.

Pretty disappointing to see the crowd turn on players regardless of performance. Few fair weather fans too used to winning.

Iamback

Coach
Thought Staines was fine. We (understandably) had zero cohesion with the ball last night which made his job almost impossible.

Pretty disappointing to see the crowd turn on players regardless of performance. Few fair weather fans too used to winning.

As for the turning on players, Sometimes it can look like a few guys in the side aren't having a go which brings the frustration out

Munky

Coach
Biggest disappointment for me was no support through the middle.

There was no way we were going around them and were punching right through them with ease at times but with no one backing up.

The middle is the team's strength and need to find ways to score from it.

Iamback

Coach
Biggest disappointment for me was no support through the middle.

There was no way we were going around them and were punching right through them with ease at times but with no one backing up.

The middle is the team's strength and need to find ways to score from it.

It is where needs to be selfish. Go himself and put the forwards over like he can do almost at will.

The attack was horrible

It is where needs to be selfish. Go himself and put the forwards over like he can do almost at will.

The attack was horrible
We got to the try line 6 times, for zero result, the thing that irritated was the continued CH9 rambling over the Storm missing players, seems to be a theme at our home games always praising the opposition.

Iamback

Coach
We got to the try line 6 times, for zero result, the thing that irritated was the continued CH9 rambling over the Storm missing players, seems to be a theme at our home games always praising the opposition.

They had more rep players than we did on the field last night, So it was a cripple fight of the highest order and the standard reflected that. Just the media hide behind agendas and overlook the facts.

It was 2 top sides with great systems, missing key players simple as that

Sime_11

Juniors
like the Parra game - Ivan is doing something right a half time - our defence in the second half was much better and we dominated the game - albeit for no points on the scoreboard. That will help us in finals games should we be down at HT.

just couldn't get over that line last night and no doubt it played on the teams mind that we hadn't scored. its happened before with this team in previous seasons where we seem to go a fair chunk of the game without scoring and we panic and look clueless.

it sounds silly but for a left field change, maybe we take the 2 points on offer, just to release a bit of pressure and gain an attitude of "ok we are on the board, we can do this etc"

I have no doubt had we scored, we would have scored again and who knows what could have happened in that game. But we didn't, we need to learn from this and go again next week against South's.

Melbourne's defence was very good and only got better as the game went on, but Melbourne are ripe for the taking, they were dominated same as Parramatta in the 2nd half.

Kilkenny

Coach
I must say I am surprised it has been suggested Staines was booed as he left the field. I watchEd him walk of the ground and didn’t hear anything untoward, but my hearing is not great.

Dont know why anyone would feel the need to boo him off, I thought he played OK. Perhaps could have made a better attempt to stop the Smith try, but there were others before him who should have also done better.

We were disappointing had plenty of good field position and possession to get back in the game, but we just weren’t up to it and the Storm defended well.

It was evident we are just not the same side without our 1, 6 and 7. Our kicking game was awful and while the effort was there we lacked execution.

Kilkenny

Coach
Again last night I thought our use of the bench was rather baffling and made no sense.

Another game where Spencer not used in the first half. I just don’t get it.

Taking Staines off to bring Jennings on was never going to be a game changer. Hopgood would have been a better option of the bench, all energy, could have done with him for twenty minutes or so.

Should bring Kurt Falls back for the Bunnies game, he has a stronger long kicking game than SOS and Salmon. Our kicking game last night was awful.

WestyLife

First Grade
Again last night I thought our use of the bench was rather baffling and made no sense.

Another game where Spencer not used in the first half. I just don’t get it.

Taking Staines off to bring Jennings on was never going to be a game changer. Hopgood would have been a better option of the bench, all energy, could have done with him for twenty minutes or so.

Should bring Kurt Falls back for the Bunnies game, he has a stronger long kicking game than SOS and Salmon. Our kicking game last night was awful.

Can't disagree with any of that. Shame Leniu was forced off with the HIA. I'd love hopgood on the bench but Ivan seems to not want to play him. Ivan is as confusing as he is attractive.

I haven’t really watched the game properly yet (it was on while I was working so I will rewatch) but I didn’t think it was terrible, we play that game 10 times and we win 4-6 of them. Three things we need to work on (others have said already but bringing together);
- straighten the attach. It went wide to early and was going sideways
- Better execution on the kicking game. I think SOS had the right idea much of the time, but the kick generally weren’t well executed.
- cut out the defensive lapses.

The other thing I noticed was Yeo is a ‘panicker’; when we got behind in the first half (much like in the Parra game) he got frantic. What the hell was that kick on half time? He calmed down after the half (presumably Ivan said the right things) and worked his way into it by just putting his head down and running first, but as a leader he needs to work on keeping his cool when things go against us.

Kilkenny

Coach

I asked a friend of mine today who sits on the northern hill and he didn’t think there was significant calling out of Staines other than a few idiots. We had idiots behind where I sit going off during the game bit I think it is just the fringe dwellers, not the diehards. Some fans love the sound of there own voices and think they are being funny with some of there comments, but more the most part are just buffoons who probably don’t care one way or the other.

Latest posts