What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 match Panthers V Storm

Iamback

Coach
I agree. Hoped him and turuva would have some magic moments.

I'm saying the same about established players. Critta, To'o and Martin especially which is disapointing especially critta who I really love.

We just played dumb, Kept going wide when nothing was on.
Hopefully Falls comes in to help get the attack going

Iamback

Coach
Thought this was a game IC could’ve brought Leniu on after 25 - 30 to try and shift momentum after they’d scored. Sorensen made a impact and backing it up with Leniu instead of Kenny could’ve got us back on the front foot somewhat. Was worth the risk.

Give us a bit of flexibility in your bench rotations Ivan my friend.

Ivan has zero plan B. That is my biggest frustration with him

chrisD

Coach
The only (new) thing that concerned me is To'o's finishing. He's gone soft and looks down on confidence (near the line only), not good.

On the up side we made good improvement in taking possession from short kick restarts.

Iamback

Coach
With the current lineup the only likely win is the Warriors. So I guess I have to lower myself enough to cheer on the bloody Roosters against Cowboys 🤢 Make sure we get that minor premiership.

If next week was a final, only the suspended guys aren't there and we are a different team.

We will get the minor premiership, resting niggles is all that matters now

Girds89

Bench
Would love to see
Thought this was a game IC could’ve brought Leniu on after 25 - 30 to try and shift momentum after they’d scored. Sorensen made a impact and backing it up with Leniu instead of Kenny could’ve got us back on the front foot somewhat. Was worth the risk.

Give us a bit of flexibility in your bench rotations Ivan my friend.
I actually think kenny had to come on earlier..

The try through martin and leota was fatigue.

Kenny on in the 2nd half and we stopped grant and smith...

Kennys no api but the effect he has on our middle defence is sooo underestimated on here.. he reslly does a good job of securing the middle with api when they are on together.

I thought he shouldve brought leota off 4 or 5 mins earlier and kenny on just to stop grant... but he left it to long. Leota was cooked as was martin

age.s

First Grade
I thought Staines had a good game. Should have done better 1 on 1 vs Smith but took some very tough bombs and looked dangerous bringing the ball back when he had a bit of space. Reckon he would have chimed in well if the rest of the halves were intact. His main problem is he's utterly ineffectual post-contact. Not sure much can be done about that as bulking him up would see his pace drop off substantially. Like much of our depth, he's a very good backup, but I'm not sure he's set for superstardom.

I liked the look of Turuva. Didn't get much ball but you could see the threat there when he wound up. Would like to see him given the job if May is out for an extended period.

Wierd game. Thought we were well on top physically for large periods, but made several costly lazy defensive efforts and lacked polish in their 20. Even so there were several very very close calls and on another night I think we get them despite fielding half a NSW cup side.

Shoutout to Yeo and Api. Both were brilliant. I thought Salmon was pretty good, despite the halves overall lacking direction. Kikau was quiet and both To'o (despite some decent numbers) and Critta look a bit off. SOS was more memes than diamonds. Martin also had some good efforts amongst some very ordinary ones.

Not too worried. Never like watching us lose but going close against an up for it Melbourne on a night when we had that much strike out isn't that damaging.

Iamback

Coach
Would love to see
I actually think kenny had to come on earlier..

The try through martin and leota was fatigue.

Kenny on in the 2nd half and we stopped grant and smith...

Kennys no api but the effect he has on our middle defence is sooo underestimated on here.. he reslly does a good job of securing the middle with api when they are on together.

I thought he shouldve brought leota off 4 or 5 mins earlier and kenny on just to stop grant... but he left it to long. Leota was cooked as was martin

There is no excuse for the Martin/Leota miss.

We had all the ball, just had a breather while they took the conversion. Should of made the tackle on Smith

Iamback

Coach
Nathan plays we win that by 20, no doubt in my mind. Even Luai gets us home comfortably

That is it. They kept rushing the halves you do that to Luai and he uses footwork and puts Kiks or Tago away.

Cleary would of straightened the attack up too. So wouldn't keep going out

The Realist

Juniors
Put 5 players back in and don’t have Sutton refereeing and I would’ve be very confident we beat the Storm and any one else!

I am inclined to agree but let's not forget that Melbourne are missing quite a bit of strike power there as well.

Hughes and Paps are like us losing Nathan and Edwards. Welch is a close equivalent to JFH. Reimis Smith would be considered by many to be a loss equivalent to Taylan May.

Our losses hurt us more but it also demonstrates two things.

1. Melbourne depth is better/more flexible

2. Bellamy is no doubt a better coach than Cleary.

We looked completely disorganised out there tonight. Pushing far too many passes that were not on, and just losing our cool and panicking. Many bad decisions in offense and defence. Melbourne defended like demons but we had No Plan B, and no answers on the fly.

age.s

First Grade
I am inclined to agree but let's not forget that Melbourne are missing quite a bit of strike power there as well.

Hughes and Paps are like us losing Nathan and Edwards. Welch is a close equivalent to JFH. Reimis Smith would be considered by many to be a loss equivalent to Taylan May.

Our losses hurt us more but it also demonstrates two things.

1. Melbourne depth is better/more flexible

2. Bellamy is no doubt a better coach than Cleary.

We looked completely disorganised out there tonight. Pushing far too many passes that were not on, and just losing our cool and panicking. Many bad decisions in offense and defence. Melbourne defended like demons but we had No Plan B, and no answers on the fly.
They had by far the better halves combo, with Munster putting in a very good game. Cooper Johns held his own but I suspect he'd have looked lost if Munster was replaced by a reserve grader.

Not that it's a particularly big deal. If the games that matter are being played by the 17 that ran on tonight we're already in big trouble.

hindy111

Post Whore
Staines really doesn't do anything at fullback - he catches easy kicks and makes basic runs, barely gets involved in attack in the 20 - but I don't understand sending Crichton back there. He doesn't do anything either. Would rather see Turuva back there to see what he can do.

EDIT: I definitely would not have bothered switching Staines for Jennings. What's the point?

He would look better if JFH and the halves where there. It's his 2nd game in NRL at fullback. He looked good to me.
I only watched the 1st half however. Two of Storms try's come of the next set when Penrith could of scored down the other end bar some last ditch defense on Tago and Kikau. Consider those moments 12 point turnarounds.
What Storm do well is attack when your a bit down.
All those half chances Penrith created are full chances with starting halves. SOS was poor.

And yes STORM have Welch and Pap put but difference is they won't be back this season.
There is 3 or 4 better sides in the 8 that will challenge you.

Also Sorrensoj should take Martin's spot and let Liam come off bench in middle. Not agile enough for defense out there.

hindy111

Post Whore
What the f**k is wrong with some of you people? Most the spine was out and we dominated field position. Learn to read a game

Yes. As I said prior Penrith where creating just not finishing. JFH was the biggest out. He would of handled B.Smith

WestyLife

First Grade
He would look better if JFH and the halves where there. It's his 2nd game in NRL at fullback. He looked good to me.
I only watched the 1st half however. Two of Storms try's come of the next set when Penrith could of scored down the other end bar some last ditch defense on Tago and Kikau. Consider those moments 12 point turnarounds.
What Storm do well is attack when your a bit down.
All those half chances Penrith created are full chances with starting halves. SOS was poor.

And yes STORM have Welch and Pap put but difference is they won't be back this season.
There is 3 or 4 better sides in the 8 that will challenge you.

Also Sorrensoj should take Martin's spot and let Liam come off bench in middle. Not agile enough for defense out there.

Staines is the perfect example of how narratives set with nrl fans and its extremely difficult to break them. the Brandon Smith try Staines gets blamed for yet he gets no credit for stopping Coates. It was his second game at fullback in first grade and ran 176m in 60 minutes with a line break assist. He could've done a few things better like straighten up a bit on some of his runs especially when ball playing on the left with kikua/Tago but he doesn't deserve any hate for that game.