What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 match Panthers V Storm

BxTom

Bench
Staines is the perfect example of how narratives set with nrl fans and its extremely difficult to break them. the Brandon Smith try Staines gets blamed for yet he gets no credit for stopping Coates. It was his second game at fullback in first grade and ran 176m in 60 minutes with a line break assist. He could've done a few things better like straighten up a bit on some of his runs especially when ball playing on the left with kikua/Tago but he doesn't deserve any hate for that game.
Brandon Smith is a hard player to stop in that situation - close to the line with pace. No guarantee that Dyl would have stopped him neither. .

Black Diamond

Juniors
Staines is the perfect example of how narratives set with nrl fans and its extremely difficult to break them. the Brandon Smith try Staines gets blamed for yet he gets no credit for stopping Coates. It was his second game at fullback in first grade and ran 176m in 60 minutes with a line break assist. He could've done a few things better like straighten up a bit on some of his runs especially when ball playing on the left with kikua/Tago but he doesn't deserve any hate for that game.
He tried his guts the whole time he was on tbe field.

Iamback

Coach

I have been attending games for 20 years, Never have I heard a crowd cheer a player being replaced like he got last night.

All 100% justified. The off the ball stuff was horrible
He would bring the ball back then stop in that area, not following the play incase someone gets an offload
No talk in defence and not following the play as was shown by being late to stop Nofa for his try.

All of that stuff doesn't show on TV but is the most important part from a fullback

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Staines is the perfect example of how narratives set with nrl fans and its extremely difficult to break them.
On both sides. Every time Staines plays, his supporters big up really basic stuff like "he didn't make a mistake", "he made a covering tackle", "he tried very hard" as if those are amazing things we should be salivating over. But surely looking at him play, it is clear he just doesn't have that spark of talent or physicality to be a top fullback. He's just there, does the basics fine, but that's about it. He's a back up. Which is fine, every club needs a solid back up. But there is nothing that I can see in him that makes him a priority for the first team at all.

Iamback

Coach
On both sides. Every time Staines plays, his supporters big up really basic stuff like "he didn't make a mistake", "he made a covering tackle", "he tried very hard" as if those are amazing things we should be salivating over. But surely looking at him play, it is clear he just doesn't have that spark of talent or physicality to be a top fullback. He's just there, does the basics fine, but that's about it. He's a back up. Which is fine, every club needs a solid back up. But there is nothing that I can see in him that makes him a priority for the first team at all.

If we play Canberra or a bottom 8 team it masks over those issues

WestyLife

First Grade

I don't think his future is with Panthers other than as a back up.

I have been attending games for 20 years, Never have I heard a crowd cheer a player being replaced like he got last night.

All 100% justified. The off the ball stuff was horrible
He would bring the ball back then stop in that area, not following the play incase someone gets an offload
No talk in defence and not following the play as was shown by being late to stop Nofa for his try.

All of that stuff doesn't show on TV but is the most important part from a fullback

I read he got boooos

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I don't think his future is with Panthers other than as a back up.

I think the only really relevant thing (because our opinions are just opinions) is that it seems Clearly Sr. does not really rate him. I don't think Staines is anything special, but there was no real call to replace him with Jennings last night, but Cleary did anyway. He could have switched Staines out to the wing and put Turuva center, but chose not to. And Turuva seems to have jumped him in the pecking order already given the side named for this game.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I think the only really relevant thing (because our opinions are just opinions) is that it seems Clearly Sr. does not really rate him. I don't think Staines is anything special, but there was no real call to replace him with Jennings last night, but Cleary did anyway. He could have switched Staines out to the wing and put Turuva center, but chose not to. And Turuva seems to have jumped him in the pecking order already given the side named for this game.
That was just Ivan trying to get Critter to pull his finger out. He's not worth the money he's on now and wants an upgrade, let him walk imo

Girds89

Bench
The same narative many on here had about dylan not being up to it??

The amoung of crap i read thst staines or ceitta had to be fb haha.

No one said charlie played bad?? Most have praised him all year and said hes improved a lot.

Not one person has solely blamed staines for the two trys he COULD POTENTIALLY have stopped.

People just commented on how he actually played... he did some good.. but was poor in a few areas as well and seemed to stop doing what hes done from the wing and just run it. Those passes at the back were avg and not needed and instead of just running onto the ball when we had it in attacking territory he stood around the ruck and looked to pass.

It was by no means a poor game.. but he missed hes oppurtunity to show what or if he was really capable of lighting it up at fb at the top level.

WestyLife

First Grade
The same narative many on here had about dylan not being up to it??

The amoung of crap i read thst staines or ceitta had to be fb haha.

No one said charlie played bad?? Most have praised him all year and said hes improved a lot.

Not one person has solely blamed staines for the two trys he COULD POTENTIALLY have stopped.

People just commented on how he actually played... he did some good.. but was poor in a few areas as well and seemed to stop doing what hes done from the wing and just run it. Those passes at the back were avg and not needed and instead of just running onto the ball when we had it in attacking territory he stood around the ruck and looked to pass.

It was by no means a poor game.. but he missed hes oppurtunity to show what or if he was really capable of lighting it up at fb at the top level.

Go outside LU and see the Panthers fandom what I described definitely hapoened.

Also he was getting called shit stains and boood as he walked off. The reason I push so hard like I do is to counter balance the other side.

Iamback

Coach
Go outside LU and see the Panthers fandom what I described definitely hapoened.

Also he was getting called shit stains and boood as he walked off. The reason I push so hard like I do is to counter balance the other side.

People are idiots really. There are likely idiots saying just Nathan was missing from the team

Latest posts