What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Valheru

Coach
In breaking news it will be the roosters women's team who play the first official fixture at the new stadium

Makes absolute sense and hopefully they have a decent crowd for the 2nd half.

forby

Juniors
So after the first 12 months when it's just the Roosters, SFC and the Wararahs the average will be around 10k. They should have just renovated the old SFS which none of them could fill anyway!

T-Boon

Coach
Stop pretending this stadium is some white elephant. It will get used 40-50 times a year. If you can't see the value for the wider community of a world class stadium of that size in/near the CBD then I can't help you.
It was already a good stadium and just needed a face lift.
It is also a long way from the CBD.

Wb1234

Referee
Maybe once these 'CBDs' are up and running. Bankstown CBD is news to me.
Penrith CBD is news to me, too.

Currently you'd say the CBDs are Sydney, North Sydney and Parramatta with maybe Liverpool to follow in 20 years time.
You should see how much development there is in Bankstown and Penrith these days

Penrith is booming

with the airport and all the new development out there Penrith will be their closest cbd then Liverpool and parra

people out there hardly ever visit the Sydney cbd

Wb1234

Referee
It was already a good stadium and just needed a face lift.
It is also a long way from the CBD.
Nah it wasn’t able to get a future fire safety certificate and the cost of rectification was massive

doesn’t mean they should’ve spent 800 mill but a new stadium was needed on safety grounds

Suitman

Post Whore
So why do the Roosters need any stadium when they can’t attract a crowd when they are winning? Why do the Waratahs or Sydney FC need 40 k at anytime?
Why do Parramatta need 30k when they could even 2/3 fill the stadium tonight?

Sydney FC have had 6 officially listed sellout crowds of over 40000 at Allianz vs WSW's in 10 seasons.
40388, 40285, 41213, 40539, 40382 and 40143.

As for Allianz....

1660362831468.png

As for Commbank......

1660362398027.png

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
I think the likely scenario for Souths is some sort of split between SFS and Olympic Park.

Home games vs Bulldogs, Tigers, Eels, Panthers, etc played at Accor.
Home games vs Roosters, Dragons, Sharks, Sea Eagles played at Allianz.
Non-Sydney teams will be our 3 regional home games and Allianz.

It's crap but I can see it happening.

that would be my guess.

I think that would actually be a good compromise given the amount of members and season ticket holders you likely have based out west these days.

personally I reckon Souths and easts will end their regional home games in favour of more games at SFS. I’m hoping roosters actually play all 12 games there next year

siv

First Grade
It's 80 minutes from Richmond to Central by train.

70 minutes from Richmond to Penrith.

Unless they put on a good bus there is little benefit for the Hawkesbury in any development at Penrith. It's quicker to go Parra than Penrith.
Welcome to argument that people think Central Coast is part of Manly

Except there are road in between rather than a water way bigger than Sydney harbour

siv

First Grade
FMD you just don't get it.

The SFS isn't specifically for any of those clubs, it is for all of them as well as many others.

If you are in the NSW government, no one who doesn't have a personal agenda (Ayres) would see a stadium in Penrith that gets used 12 times a year with very little chance of further use as a good investment.
Then why is a Roosters logo on the stadium and a CoE inside the building?

Looks like sweatheart deal if you ask me

Especially when its on public land

forby

Juniors
Suitman - except for 3 Anzac day games all of those games were finals or internationals that could have been played at Accor. 15 games over 15 years with 40k crowds really justifies the ridiculous cost of the rebuild?
It just proves it could have been a boutique 25k stadium with the tests and finals played at Accor, and Anzac games at the SCG.
Or even a 15-20k ground and played their bigger games at Commbank.

Suitman

Post Whore
Suitman - except for 3 Anzac day games all of those games were finals or internationals that could have been played at Accor. 15 games over 15 years with 40k crowds really justifies the ridiculous cost of the rebuild?
It just proves it could have been a boutique 25k stadium with the tests and finals played at Accor, and Anzac games at the SCG.
Or even a 15-20k ground and played their bigger games at Commbank.

There are 5 other A-League games below that threshold (but above 40000) that I listed above that weren't on the list. No doubt, there would be countless other games - indeed many from other sports, as well as crowds well above these figures (and the official capacity) at the many huge concerts that have been held there.
For example, I saw U2 there on their Zooropa Tour in 1993 and there was easily over 50000 there.
There was and is a need for a stadium of this quality (Allianz) near the centre of Australia's largest capital city.
Whether Homebush should be demolished and sold off to developers, or Allianz should have been the major city stadium of 70 000+, (btw, could never have happened due to space restraints) or Homebush revamped and rectangular-ised, or any other of the dozens of options that have been suggested, we now have what we have.

We now have 2 great rectangular stadiums (Commbank and Allianz) and one large semi-rectangular stadium in this city (Accor).
I understand your passion and frustration regarding Penrith, and will explain why I think you are letting emotion get in the way of your comments, hence some of your misguided comments. And this is not a criticism of you, just an observation.

When the NSW govt and Infrastructure NSW spend money on all actual infrastructure, they need to answer to NSW Treasury. The figures have to hold up for that expenditure. Treasury look at Capex (Capital Expenditure) and Opex (Operational Expenditure).
Generally, if the figure comes in above 1.0, it is figured that anything above that number with be expenditure profitable, hence worth the govt spend. If it doesn't, treasury are reluctant to release the funds for that project.

However, in the case of Penrith and the new stadium, it is clear that this stadium has been pork barreled through to protect Stuart Ayers and his very marginal seat.
Stadiums need to provide content. It has nothing to do with the size of junior areas and whatnot, as you claim. It is about return of investment for taxpayer's investment.
I'm sorry to say but the proposed $300 million investment in the stadium at Penrith (Commbank cost $350 million when construction costs were way cheaper) and the purchase of the Paceway for the land to build it on (estimated at up to $200 million), a half a billion dollar expenditure at Penrith just isn't viable, particular when the current 3 available stadiums can cover all events held in this city.

The amount of $$ proposed for Penrith just doesn't make sense, as much as it disappoints you.
It would cost 50% more than Commbank, have a 25000 capacity and not be used anywhere near the amount Commbank is.
I stated in this thread the other day that I just happen to be lucky enough to be an Eels and Wanderers fan and was gifted a new stadium. The Wanderers actually had a lot to do with that as well, as they had a lot of sellout games at the old Parra as well. There is your "Opex" right there for Commbank. Not to mention Socceroos, Matilda's and all manner of other events like Elton John for example.

Colk

First Grade
There are 5 other A-League games below that threshold (but above 40000) that I listed above that weren't on the list. No doubt, there would be countless other games - indeed many from other sports, as well as crowds well above these figures (and the official capacity) at the many huge concerts that have been held there.
For example, I saw U2 there on their Zooropa Tour in 1993 and there was easily over 50000 there.
There was and is a need for a stadium of this quality (Allianz) near the centre of Australia's largest capital city.
Whether Homebush should be demolished and sold off to developers, or Allianz should have been the major city stadium of 70 000+, (btw, could never have happened due to space restraints) or Homebush revamped and rectangular-ised, or any other of the dozens of options that have been suggested, we now have what we have.

We now have 2 great rectangular stadiums (Commbank and Allianz) and one large semi-rectangular stadium in this city (Accor).
I understand your passion and frustration regarding Penrith, and will explain why I think you are letting emotion get in the way of your comments, hence some of your misguided comments. And this is not a criticism of you, just an observation.

When the NSW govt and Infrastructure NSW spend money on all actual infrastructure, they need to answer to NSW Treasury. The figures have to hold up for that expenditure. Treasury look at Capex (Capital Expenditure) and Opex (Operational Expenditure).
Generally, if the figure comes in above 1.0, it is figured that anything above that number with be expenditure profitable, hence worth the govt spend. If it doesn't, treasury are reluctant to release the funds for that project.

However, in the case of Penrith and the new stadium, it is clear that this stadium has been pork barreled through to protect Stuart Ayers and his very marginal seat.
Stadiums need to provide content. It has nothing to do with the size of junior areas and whatnot, as you claim. It is about return of investment for taxpayer's investment.
I'm sorry to say but the proposed $300 million investment in the stadium at Penrith (Commbank cost $350 million when construction costs were way cheaper) and the purchase of the Paceway for the land to build it on (estimated at up to $200 million), a half a billion dollar expenditure at Penrith just isn't viable, particular when the current 3 available stadiums can cover all events held in this city.

The amount of $$ proposed for Penrith just doesn't make sense, as much as it disappoints you.
It would cost 50% more than Commbank, have a 25000 capacity and not be used anywhere near the amount Commbank is.
I stated in this thread the other day that I just happen to be lucky enough to be an Eels and Wanderers fan and was gifted a new stadium. The Wanderers actually had a lot to do with that as well, as they had a lot of sellout games at the old Parra as well. There is your "Opex" right there for Commbank. Not to mention Socceroos, Matilda's and all manner of other events like Elton John for example.
Good summary. As I have also mentioned, you need multiple tenants and regular use of the stadium for them to invest in it.

The best chance for Penrith (if this doesn’t go through) is to find some other tenants.

From the outside, the best chance for an additional stadium in Sydney would be to have a stadium in the south/far west of Sydney on the airport train line which would have a few tenants (MacArthur FC and a few NRL teams)

Iamback

Coach

No way the Paceway land goes for $200m, A developer offered $100m. Worst case they match that.

As for the content, word is the business case had a minimum of 20 events a year for it

Iamback

Coach
Good summary. As I have also mentioned, you need multiple tenants and regular use of the stadium for them to invest in it.

The best chance for Penrith (if this doesn’t go through) is to find some other tenants.

From the outside, the best chance for an additional stadium in Sydney would be to have a stadium in the south/far west of Sydney on the airport train line which would have a few tenants (MacArthur FC and a few NRL teams)

Again though. WT have their CoE opening next week in Concord, there is zero chance they move out west.

Colk

First Grade
Again though. WT have their CoE opening next week in Concord, there is zero chance they move out west.

Oh well then Penrith stick with where they are with no investment and the Dogs, Tigers play at Commbank.

Tigers remain a struggling club as well

Colk

First Grade
Also Tigers making a decision to stay in the inner west surely won’t continue if the plans for that whole area eventuate. It’s either going to be them or the Dogs but somebody will take hold of that area of MacArthur and west of it

Iamback

Coach
Oh well then Penrith stick with where they are with no investment and the Dogs, Tigers play at Commbank.

Tigers remain a struggling club as well

If they want major events right out west though?

That was the reason for a Stadium out there somewhere

Suitman

Post Whore
No way the Paceway land goes for $200m, A developer offered $100m. Worst case they match that.

As for the content, word is the business case had a minimum of 20 events a year for it

And I'm not convinced that amount of events would get the Capex and Opex figure above 1.0, even if the sale of the paceway is only(!) $100 million. That still puts the cost of the stadium at $400 million, and with the inevitable cost blowouts of govt expenditure, likely more than that.
The Penrith dream just isn't viable. Unfortunately.
I'd like to see it built just as much as anyone as I'm a stadium nerd and love Panthers-Eels derbies.
I do however believe that at sometime in the future (10 years or more), it will be viable (Airport, increased population, Bradfield etc...) , but by then it will cost substantially more.

Iamback

Coach
And I'm not convinced that amount of events would get the Capex and Opex figure above 1.0, even if the sale of the paceway is only(!) $100 million. That still puts the cost of the stadium at $400 million, and with the inevitable cost blowouts of govt expenditure, likely more than that.
The Penrith dream just isn't viable. Unfortunately.
I'd like to see it built just as much as anyone as I'm a stadium nerd and love Panthers-Eels derbies.
I do however believe that at sometime in the future (10 years or more), it will be viable (Airport, increased population, Bradfield etc...) , but by then it will cost substantially more.

They are going to build something around the airport out there, If they can't get a full time tennant. I am not sure it is any better value for money

Iamback

Coach
Also Tigers making a decision to stay in the inner west surely won’t continue if the plans for that whole area eventuate. It’s either going to be them or the Dogs but somebody will take hold of that area of MacArthur and west of it

Other sides will just pick the pieces out of that area but at the cost of $75m, They aren't going to move the CoE