What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Maximus

Coach
Colk, sure you need good stadiums but why build a 40k stadium that will never be full?
And who says Moore Park is central and accessible to the majority of people. It suits the SCG Trust mob, but does nothing for anybody west of of the CBD.
And please enlighten me on who will ever be a second tenant in Penrith?

There is already 2 major stadiums west of the CBD. Why do they need another one? A new stadium in Penrith does nothing for the majority of people either, so why should one be built?

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is already 2 major stadiums west of the CBD. Why do they need another one? A new stadium in Penrith does nothing for the majority of people either, so why should one be built?
Leaving aside the fact it’s due to pork barreling, penrith are one of the three clubs that would struggle for fans in one of the two shared stadium available. Not to mention we should ideally already have three nrl clubs using commbank ft, and no one using Accor.
Like sharks and manly they need a different solution. Don’t be jealous, rejoice that the nrl is getting another decent stadium that will help another club grow.

Maximus

Coach
No its not, it common sense. Why spend $500 mil on a stadium for only one team when that amount can be spread across 4 home grounds in locations where the fans will actually attend the games. New, central shiny stadiums away from their local areas will NOT entice fans to attend games over a longer distance, instead they will just watch the game on TV. Our game is TOO TV friendly. I wouldn't spend 90mins each way going to the SFS to watch my team play, pay $75 dollar a ticket for the privilege of a new stadium when I used to only spend 30 mins for less price. I'd rather instead stay at home and watch on TV for no expense with the same atmosphere that I would be in the bigger stadium! Sydney with 3 new big stadiums suits three, maybe four teams no more. The SFS at its current size is a waste of money!

Where do you get 1 team from? Roosters, Waratahs and Sydney FC will all play out of it, and probably Souths at some stage.

Wb1234

Referee
roosters average 15,594 9 games with magic round crowd 43,000. Take away 43,000 from magic round for 8 games instead off 9 games the average is 12163. The true average. So somebody is lying about the Rorters crowd figures.
Take out Anzac Day too

Wb1234

Referee
Well there is going to be a massive population influx around the new airport

saying Penrith is part of Sydney is tenuous at best

Penrith and parra will end up as genuine cbd in their own right

imo each cbd should get a new stadium (Bankstown, Liverpool. Penrith)

Steel Saints

Juniors
Sticky is not a great coach but I will say that the club has gone a lot better in the last decade than we did prior, so I’ll give him that.

Look I understand you’re probably right that Penrith’s support is growing (good on you) but you have to understand what the government are probably thinking. They don’t give a c*** about rugby league really. If they are going to pay for stadiums or large infrastructure, as a ROI they want it to be used as often as possible by the most amount of people. With that in mind if the expenditure is hypothetically between a stadium being used 12 times (maybe a few other times by other things) and a stadium that will be used 30, 40 or 50 times a year and used most of the year, they are going to fund the second stadium every time.

Penrith and Cronulla (and possibly even Manly) might have to work out other alternatives if the government isn’t going to fork out the dough

I hear what you're saying. Ideally a stadium is built for at least two tenants. However, the Cowboys got themselves a new stadium valued at $250 million and they are the only tenants.

I think the key for the Panthers is to get the stadium construction cost to be similar to that of the Cowboys venue. If it's $400, $500 or $600 million, then it would struggle to have a viable business case.

Valheru

Coach
Valheru, I did say 60%.
Parramatta average home attendance - 17512, capacity 30000 = 59%
Penrith average home attendance - 17842, capacity 20000 = 89%
Roosters home attendance - 16238, capacity 42500 = 38%

When is Allianz ever going to draw more than 30000?, apart from the first game. Can you ever see the Roosters, Sydney FC or the Waratahs getting anywhere close to 20000?
when will Parramatta get close to capacity again?, other than for a finals match?

Waste of money. Each should have been 25k and the rest spent on the other grounds.

ANZAC Day every year.

Roosters, souths, dragons, manly and sharks will all play finals there. That is over a quarter of the comp so logic dictates that in the long run a quarter of week 1-3 finals will be played there.

Roosters/souths games absolutely have the potential to regularly draw 30k plus if the clubs can work together.

The wallabies will draw over 30k the night after it opens and probably at least once every year. Sydney FC the same for their first fixture in October and probably 1 or 2 more times over the season.

The stadium will host women's world cup games next year.

The rugby 7s in February will draw over 30k both days.

The socceroos will use the stadium probably once a year.

Stop pretending this stadium is some white elephant. It will get used 40-50 times a year. If you can't see the value for the wider community of a world class stadium of that size in/near the CBD then I can't help you.

Well there is going to be a massive population influx around the new airport

saying Penrith is part of Sydney is tenuous at best

Penrith and parra will end up as genuine cbd in their own right

imo each cbd should get a new stadium (Bankstown, Liverpool. Penrith)
Maybe once these 'CBDs' are up and running. Bankstown CBD is news to me.
Penrith CBD is news to me, too.

Currently you'd say the CBDs are Sydney, North Sydney and Parramatta with maybe Liverpool to follow in 20 years time.

ANZAC Day every year.

Roosters, souths, dragons, manly and sharks will all play finals there. That is over a quarter of the comp so logic dictates that in the long run a quarter of week 1-3 finals will be played there.

Roosters/souths games absolutely have the potential to regularly draw 30k plus if the clubs can work together.

The wallabies will draw over 30k the night after it opens and probably at least once every year. Sydney FC the same for their first fixture in October and probably 1 or 2 more times over the season.

Stop pretending this stadium is some white elephant. It will get used 40-50 times a year. If you can't see the value for the wider community of a world class stadium of that size in/near the CBD then I can't help you.
There’ll be rock concerts as well starting with Bruno Mars

Valheru

Coach
So why do the Roosters need any stadium when they can’t attract a crowd when they are winning? Why do the Waratahs or Sydney FC need 40 k at anytime?
Why do Parramatta need 30k when they could even 2/3 fill the stadium tonight?
What I said was that because they are the heartland of RL they don’t support a second sport so that they can have a second tenant. Hence they are penalised because of this!

FMD you just don't get it.

The SFS isn't specifically for any of those clubs, it is for all of them as well as many others.

If you are in the NSW government, no one who doesn't have a personal agenda (Ayres) would see a stadium in Penrith that gets used 12 times a year with very little chance of further use as a good investment.

Munky

Coach
When the M7 was built a heavy rail line should have gone alongside it linking Campbelltown, Blacktown and the North West.

Put a stadium at the Spagetti Junction next to the station and it could serve quite a few clubs and areas.

Yep, how do you sell hitting up the pokies at Panthers or Parra leagues over doing coke off an Irish backpackers stomach on Oxford Street after your show?

What's an international superstar going to choose?
I dunno, meat trays and Leagues Club China is pretty hard to resist but I’m a simple man

Valheru

Coach
There’ll be rock concerts as well starting with Bruno Mars

Ah I wasn't aware of that event.

So in the first 6 weeks of use it will be full for the opener, 30k plus the next night for the wallabies, very likely a 30k plus crowd for a finals game at some point, 30k plus for Sydney FC on October 8 and two 40k (??) Crowds the week after that for Bruno Mars.

Add to that 60k plus over 2 days for the 7s in February, an inevitable early season roosters/souths game in 2023 for 25k, ANZAC Day for 40k, multiple women's world cup games for 30-40k and a likely wallabies fixture in 2023 at 30k and you are looking at approx 15 events at 30-40k in the first 12 months without taking in to account other concerts etc that haven't been announced.

What a white elephant!

Colk

First Grade
ANZAC Day every year.

Exactly. Whatever your feelings about the Roosters are, the stadium will be used regularly. Your team is just lucky to be situated where they are so that they enjoy the benefits of it