What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
This whole argument on here is so rugby league lol no wonder the sport hasn’t gone very far in a hundred years.

Iamback

Coach
What major events would there be? Let’s face it, a hypothetical 25,000 stadium in Penrith is not going to lure major events (international music concerts etc) if there are bigger stadiums in the city.

There could be a chance of somebody to start an event out there

There a few events coming up that has multiple shows at the same venue. A show could be at each venue.

There is a soccer event coming later in the year 3 games in Sydney across 3 venues. So we will start to see more of that, of course new events too

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Stuff best plans. Why should Penrith be shafted to benefit the Shire or the North Shore!
Penrith deserve a stadium more than any other club in the NRL.
The argument that only one tenant means you cant justify a new stadium is rubbish.
You can’t get commitment to events without a venue but you can’t get that venue unless you get commitment to events.
By this measure there will never be a new stadium built in NSW!
You were only getting one due to corrupt politicians in the first place. A brand new stadium for 1 team was a stupid idea given the current state of hospitals, schools and transport.

Stuff best plans. Why should Penrith be shafted to benefit the Shire or the North Shore!
Penrith deserve a stadium more than any other club in the NRL.
The argument that only one tenant means you cant justify a new stadium is rubbish.
You can’t get commitment to events without a venue but you can’t get that venue unless you get commitment to events.
By this measure there will never be a new stadium built in NSW!
Well one of your previous posts brought into the discussion that the Penrith are has the "third highest participation in NSW of junior soccer"
The Shire has had the highest participation of junior soccer in the whole SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE, including South America, and Africa, for years.
Not to mention that the Cronulla Sutherland Junior Rugby League is the second highest participation behind Penrith in Sydney.
Add in that both St. George and Cronulla will have NRLW teams next year, along with the NRL teams all points towards that a stadium built in Loftus has way more game than a single team in Penrith.
I will say that I hope both stadiums do eventuate, plus one at Brookie.

The Great Dane

First Grade
There a few events coming up that has multiple shows at the same venue. A show could be at each venue.

There is a soccer event coming later in the year 3 games in Sydney across 3 venues. So we will start to see more of that, of course new events too
There's no way that most events would agree to that.

In 99% of cases all moving shows across venues in the same city would do is blowout production costs.

Well one of your previous posts brought into the discussion that the Penrith are has the "third highest participation in NSW of junior soccer"
The Shire has had the highest participation of junior soccer in the whole SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE, including South America, and Africa, for years.
Not to mention that the Cronulla Sutherland Junior Rugby League is the second highest participation behind Penrith in Sydney.
Add in that both St. George and Cronulla will have NRLW teams next year, along with the NRL teams all points towards that a stadium built in Loftus has way more game than a single team in Penrith.
I will say that I hope both stadiums do eventuate, plus one at Brookie.
You’d think at some point there will be a southern A League franchise that will further strengthen the case for a new stadium down there. Given the Shire’s junior soccer numbers, I’m surprised that hasn’t happened yet.

I wonder if A league clubs pay the same hiring fees as NRL clubs do at these venues , I'd wonder how they'd be able to given their revenues would be a fraction overall

Those MacArthur bulls averaged about 2500 at Campbelltown & had about 5000 members
their governing body grant is what , like 1.8 mill PA ??

up against the Wests Tigers 10000 at Campbelltown
16000 overall & 22000 members
13 mill grant each year

& its the same accross sydney for their 2 other clubs too
wanderers up against parra
FC is a lot closer to the chooks , but a long way behind them still

ground zero

Juniors
That strikes me as grasping for straws.

If Souths move games (even just a few) to the new SFS, then the powers that be will do their darndest to try and keep the Bulldogs at the Olympic stadium, lest it become a white elephant.

As for the Tigers.. Gees.. they have enough on their plate trying to cater to the Leichardt crowd, the Campbelltown/Southwest supporters, trying to get some more money from games at Parramatta's new stadium.. and you want them to throw Penrith stadium into the home-ground mix as well?!? As Natalie Imbruglia would say, "They're already torn..." ;)

That strikes me as grasping for straws.

If Souths move games (even just a few) to the new SFS, then the powers that be will do their darndest to try and keep the Bulldogs at the Olympic stadium, lest it become a white elephant.

As for the Tigers.. Gees.. they have enough on their plate trying to cater to the Leichardt crowd, the Campbelltown/Southwest supporters, trying to get some more money from games at Parramatta's new stadium.. and you want them to throw Penrith stadium into the home-ground mix as well?!? As Natalie Imbruglia would say, "They're already torn..." ;)
They don,t need to play cowboys warriors knights titans even storm at accor. play at new Penr ith Stadium. If it means ditch Liecthard an Cambelltown an belmore so be it. 2 Stadiums . parra an penrith for West Tigers. bigger crowds smaller grounds

macavity

Referee
How come stadiums are now so bloody expensive?

NRL should leverage its networks to engineer a basic cookie cutter 20,000 seat stadium (in modular side and end stands) to roll out.

Newcastle's stadium cost 60mil 15ish years ago - we got basic because we are Newcastle, and we never get anything nice from the Government. And it is a decent size (albeit unfinished with comparatively crap amenities).

Part of the issue here is everyone sees how spoilt the Broncos, Cowboys, Eels and Roosters are and expects to be similarly treated.

It will never happen for us plebs, and as you can see, even other NRL fans will crap on your club getting an upgrade rather than support you.

If suddenly Penrith, Cronulla, Manly, Redcliffe etc could get modular upgrades in the 25-50mil per stage range, things become a lot less prohibitive. Hell, One stand with hills makes for a great regional ground.

Valheru

Coach
You’d think at some point there will be a southern A League franchise that will further strengthen the case for a new stadium down there. Given the Shire’s junior soccer numbers, I’m surprised that hasn’t happened yet.

I'm not sure that would ever happen due to the effect it would have on Sydney FC. A good portion if their fans are in the shire.

Wollongong seems more likely IMO

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Nah it wasn’t able to get a future fire safety certificate and the cost of rectification was massive

doesn’t mean they should’ve spent 800 mill but a new stadium was needed on safety grounds
That was just SCG Trust talk

T-Boon

Coach
How come stadiums are now so bloody expensive?

NRL should leverage its networks to engineer a basic cookie cutter 20,000 seat stadium (in modular side and end stands) to roll out.

Newcastle's stadium cost 60mil 15ish years ago - we got basic because we are Newcastle, and we never get anything nice from the Government. And it is a decent size (albeit unfinished with comparatively crap amenities).

Part of the issue here is everyone sees how spoilt the Broncos, Cowboys, Eels and Roosters are and expects to be similarly treated.

It will never happen for us plebs, and as you can see, even other NRL fans will crap on your club getting an upgrade rather than support you.

If suddenly Penrith, Cronulla, Manly, Redcliffe etc could get modular upgrades in the 25-50mil per stage range, things become a lot less prohibitive. Hell, One stand with hills makes for a great regional ground.
Those clubs could have moved to Brisbane decades ago.

flippikat

Bench
They don,t need to play cowboys warriors knights titans even storm at accor. play at new Penr ith Stadium. If it means ditch Liecthard an Cambelltown an belmore so be it. 2 Stadiums . parra an penrith for West Tigers. bigger crowds smaller grounds
I can't claim to speak for Tigers & Bulldogs fans, but I seriously wonder how many would go all the way out to Penrith to see their team play interstate clubs?

Anyway, getting the odd home game from the Tigers and/or Bulldogs does nothing to fill the schedule in summer, so a new Penrith stadium still risks being under-utilized.

The NSW Government could front-foot things by saying in no uncertain terms "Look, we're about investing in utility here - so we'll only build NEW rectangular stadiums where there's going to be year-round tenancy (ie at least an NRL club *and* an A-League club based there). All other locations will just get safety upgrades."

So that means Parramatta Stadium (done), SFS (done), and a South-West stadium (the next build) for Macarthur FC & Tigers and/or Bulldogs.

Thoughts?

forby

Juniors
Why discriminate against areas that don’t have A-League?
Besides with average crowds that they draw it would nearly be a losing proposition to open them in Summer.

forby

Juniors
Besides the Tigers are actually based in Concord so would never commit to all there games at Campbelltown, and I don’t think the Bulldogs would either.

flippikat

Bench
Why discriminate against areas that don’t have A-League?
Besides with average crowds that they draw it would nearly be a losing proposition to open them in Summer.
I'm looking at it from a state Government funding point of view.

Surely for any new build, they'd want maximum utility from that spend - year-round tenancy does that.

It really IS that straightforward.

I'm not sure that would ever happen die to the effect it would have in Sydney FC. A good portion if their fans are in the shire.

Wollongong seems more likely IMO
I’ve heard a good third of Sydney FC members come from the Shire and yeh, it could cannibalise one club for the other. I do have mates that grew up out west but stuck with Sydney FC when the Wanders came in. Given the length of time supporting Sydney it was hard for them to change their allegiance. It’s why they waited so long to bring in another Sydney team in the first place. I’m sure the A-league is banking a similar strategy with a southern offering supported by both Wollongong and Shire districts, playing out of a stadium built along the Shire/Gong border with Sharks/Saints co-hosting in winter.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm looking at it from a state Government funding point of view.

Surely for any new build, they'd want maximum utility from that spend - year-round tenancy does that.

It really IS that straightforward.
Doesn’t have to be year round but for a roi you’d hope to have two to three tenants in it. But then we are back to Sydney’s geography issue and the fact clubs like penrith need their own stadium.

we should be celebrating that vlandys has actually managed to land something out of the stadia fiasco since he took over. If all we get is a penrith stadium for now all well and good, might make some of the other clubs wake up and better utilise the stadia govt has invested in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’ve heard a good third of Sydney FC members come from the Shire and yeh, it could cannibalise one club for the other. I do have mates that grew up out west but stuck with Sydney FC when the Wanders came in. Given the length of time supporting Sydney it was hard for them to change their allegiance. It’s why they waited so long to bring in another Sydney team in the first place. I’m sure the A-league is banking a similar strategy with a southern offering.
Must explain why sharks crowds are so sht, they’re all soccer fans down there.