What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

The Villain

Juniors
Alot on here are upset that Hook did not give Sloan a fair go this year. Just listened to Kenty on NRL360 and I think he is in the Hook camp so he might have an ulterior motive, but what he said and something I agree with to a certain degree is, all coaches want to win as their jobs depend on it so why would he not play Sloan if it would help the team?
Is Hook that dumb, vindictive, etc? some might say yes.
yes

Rod Coil

Juniors
Alot on here are upset that Hook did not give Sloan a fair go this year. Just listened to Kenty on NRL360 and I think he is in the Hook camp so he might have an ulterior motive, but what he said and something I agree with to a certain degree is, all coaches want to win as their jobs depend on it so why would he not play Sloan if it would help the team?
No.
I’ll go against the grain.
I for one am very happy with Ramsey at fullback. One of the very few shining lights this year.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I'm not a Hook fan but even I don't think it was vindictive. The thing that stood out to me from early in the year was it was a "safety first" type of play - presumably with the highest of hopes to merely sneak into the eight so everyone would pat one another on the back for a solid improvement on last year.

Except that none of this happened. And there were two things that peeved me about that:

How many 10-8 tussles have we seen this year? Safety first doesn't cut it in the 6-again era. The days of building pressure through high completions and field position are gone when the bloke with the whistle can so arbitrarily swing momentum.

But more frustratingly, Hook's re-signing could only have been a message from the board acknowledging that this was (yet another) rebuild year. It was license to try some things to see what works and prepare us well for a real tilt in 2023.

Instead what we discovered was there are a bunch of fellows on the roster who used to be decent footballers. Just another wasted year and a golden opportunity lost.

Yow

Juniors
Totally agree gents , Yow you are on the right track where you say that young Sloan need to do the hard yards, prove to the coach that he is indeed the man for the job , ignore the media and for that matter his damn agent .

Dragon Steve that is the one thing that Tyrell does need to work upon his taking of the high ball .the fullback position is a teams last line of defense and his teammates are dependent upon the fullback being able to take those bombs .

Can you imagine him in the days of the glorious kicking duels between the fullbacks ? Keith Barnes v Kevin Longbottom , Langlands v Eric Simms etc. etc. those fullbacks were worth their weight in gold. Today’s mob are a long way short of those gentlemen’s abilities .

No I am afraid that the young man has a lot of work to do imo , at the moment Ramsey has proven himself to be a far more dangerous player in attack and is slowly learning
the role of the team’s custodian at the back of the field .
Thanks Gareth

Old Timer

Coach
All this lamenting re the shocking treatment of Sloan by a coach who supposedly offers nothing bla bla bla

Feagai is now an established 1st grade quality winger, Amone is now an established 1st grade 5/8, Ramsey is now well on the way to establishing his 1st grade credentials, Suli but for injury had a decisive input into our attack and defence more so than anything he was delivering at Manly and Ben Hunt had his best year ever at the club and one should not forget until injured Rava was showing huge improvement under the high ball and corner post defence.

All of these players improved in season 2022.

Despite all of this a rumour persists that there is a sooky la la wanting out because our coach didn’t achieve anything and offers nothing.

Well if in fact Hook didn’t achieve anything and offers nothing then surely it must follow that the players I mentioned must have done everything to improve by themselves.

If that be the case then it beggars the question why couldn’t Sloan follow suit?

Now if the rumour re Sloan is incorrect then hopefully he puts the right pair of glasses on in 2023 and focusses fully on the job in hand.

Despite all of this a rumour persists that there is a sooky la la wanting out because our coach didn’t achieve anything and offers nothing.
You call Jayden S'ua a 'sooky la la' too, as word was he also said 'he got nothing from his first year and felt he did not improve'. that is an underhanded swipe at the coach, for mine., same as Sloans was.

Old Timer

Coach
You call Jayden S'ua a 'sooky la la' too, as word was he also said 'he got nothing from his first year and felt he did not improve'. that is an underhanded swipe at the coach, for mine., same as Sloans was.
I have not seen 1 article to validate the S’ua rumour as far as I know it was all “verbal”

If there is 1 I’m happy to read it if someone can post it.

Well if in fact Hook didn’t achieve anything and offers nothing then surely it must follow that the players I mentioned must have done everything to improve by themselves.
Amone showed his promise only after his game plan, changed to utilise his nifty footwork to take on the defense. Up till then he was being coached badly. He may develop ball skills at some stage but not under this coach. Feagai is nowhere near the finished product. Suli is a mature first grade player. Ramsay has pace and is competent under the kick. But is no better than Dufty in chiming into the backline. He certainly does not show any ball in hand skills like Sloan does. Even Dufty had a good cut out pass.
Ben Hunt had his best year ever at the club
Pretty much his only good'n in what four previous seasons.

Mojo

Bench
All this lamenting re the shocking treatment of Sloan by a coach who supposedly offers nothing bla bla bla

Feagai is now an established 1st grade quality winger, Amone is now an established 1st grade 5/8, Ramsey is now well on the way to establishing his 1st grade credentials, Suli but for injury had a decisive input into our attack and defence more so than anything he was delivering at Manly and Ben Hunt had his best year ever at the club and one should not forget until injured Rava was showing huge improvement under the high ball and corner post defence.

All of these players improved in season 2022.

If that be the case then it beggars the question why couldn’t Sloan follow suit?

Now if the rumour re Sloan is incorrect then hopefully he puts the right pair of glasses on in 2023 and focusses fully on the job in hand.
Ok. Tell the young guys they can’t have a release from their contracts. But, to be fair, I think Hunt should be told he doesn’t own the halfback position and Macca should at least retire to reserves.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Amone showed his promise only after his game plan, changed to utilise his nifty footwork to take on the defense. Up till then he was being coached badly. He may develop ball skills at some stage but not under this coach. Feagai is nowhere near the finished product. Suli is a mature first grade player. Ramsay has pace and is competent under the kick. But is no better than Dufty in chiming into the backline. He certainly does not show any ball in hand skills like Sloan does. Even Dufty had a good cut out pass.

Pretty much his only good'n in what four previous seasons.
No, he was killing it the year before till he broke his arm and leg

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Let us hope the rumor is buncum.. just his manager having a winge.
What do you see as 'the job in hand'?
The job in hand is blatantly obvious and let’s hope you are not blind to his weakness’s as so many were to Dufty’s.
Catching bombs
Organising the defensive line from FB
Defending 1 on 1
Getting under players as the try to score
Remaining focussed and involved for the entire game

Vic Mackey

Referee
Coming from the mole, but we are reportedly after Zane Musgrove from the Tigers. He is under contract still and so I think this may be the player @randomdragon was talking about a week or so ago.

One of the most frustrating players in our team. There’s been games where he was genuinely the best prop of the field against Origon reps (i.e Easter monday v Paulo/RCG) then the next week he’ll play the weakest game you’ve ever seen. Against manly DCE and Turbo isolated him for about 4 line breaks in 7 minutes, it was under 7s stuff. Check out their first 2 tries below, and he had literally just come on the field

The guys an absolute monster and it kills me that he isn’t the beast he should be week in week out. At times his defence is plain embarrassing. Apparently you guys went pretty hard for him last time so the contract we gave him is a decent one.

I wouldn’t be hugely fussed if he left, however he is the type of guy that in the right system could become a pretty good player.

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors
One of the most frustrating players in our team. There’s been games where he was genuinely the best prop of the field against Origon reps (i.e Easter monday v Paulo/RCG) then the next week he’ll play the weakest game you’ve ever seen. Against manly DCE and Turbo isolated him for about 4 line breaks in 7 minutes, it was under 7s stuff. Check out their first 2 tries below, and he had literally just come on the field

The guys an absolute monster and it kills me that he isn’t the beast he should be week in week out. At times his defence is plain embarrassing. Apparently you guys went pretty hard for him last time so the contract we gave him is a decent one.

I wouldn’t be hugely fussed if he left, however he is the type of guy that in the right system could become a pretty good player.
Far out. Those were two shocking attempts at tackle. Even more concerning, we already have two middle forwards that don't mind the old arm grab in Blake Lawrie and Jack Bird. Is this a common occurence in his game?