What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW TV ratings killing AFLW

TheRam

Coach
They were averaging over 200k for the regular season and the last women`s GF got 350k and women`s SOO 750k. So I was a bit disappointed because I thought it deserved a lot more than that.

Pretty obvious me thinks really.

No QLD team mate. The two headed population up north stayed in bed since there was nothing to see on the tele.

Last edited by a moderator:

footy75

Bench
Impressive NRLW TV ratings.

View attachment 59046
NRLW (Foxsports and Nine) Average 168,000
AFLW (Foxsports and 7Mate) Average 70,000
Broadcast: Offsiders 13 March 2022)

FTR, the AFL-biased Offsiders show last Sunday tried to make some failed excuses but even they had to admit the figures were impressive.

This is obvious. Ever tried watching women´s AFL for 2 minutes..????. it´s a joke. They don't have the skills.
Can´t kick with both feet. One sided players with hands and feet. It´s like watching under 12´s.

They will improve with time but for now it is completely unwatchable.

Generalzod

Immortal
This is obvious. Ever tried watching women´s AFL for 2 minutes..????. it´s a joke. They don't have the skills.
Can´t kick with both feet. One sided players with hands and feet. It´s like watching under 12´s.

Yet they got a larger size of the pie when it come to broadcast rights....

It's worse than under 12s. One game played a few weeks ago had a fulltime score of 9-7. I looked up the score, the winning team kicked 1 goal and 2 behinds, the losing team 1 goal and 1 behind. Many of the fulltime scores see team scores in the low 20s or high 30s. I mean all that playing time and they only kick so few goals? It does not speak highly of the teams generally speaking.

This is where the NRLW having gradual expansion has helped them as it has not diluted the talent pool, whilst it looks like it has in the AFLW.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's worse than under 12s. One game played a few weeks ago had a fulltime score of 9-7. I looked up the score, the winning team kicked 1 goal and 2 behinds, the losing team 1 goal and 1 behind. Many of the fulltime scores see team scores in the low 20s or high 30s. I mean all that playing time and they only kick so few goals? It does not speak highly of the teams generally speaking.

This is where the NRLW having gradual expansion has helped them as it has not diluted the talent pool, whilst it looks like it has in the AFLW.
This is the main problem. Aussie Rules is all about kicking goals. It is the classic quantity over quality. Take away the main attraction and what else is there?

Valheru

Coach

IMO it's not so much an issue with talent as it is with the size of the field.

AFLW fields are way too big. The men can kick the ball significantly further thus they can score from further out and more importantly clear the ball. In the women's game they get bogged down in the same part of the field for what seems like forever. Shorten the field and you will get higher scoring games.

NRLW has the same issue to a lower extent as the games are lower scoring than the men's but not as drastically so as AFL. The men's teams even if they have the last tackle on their own 30 or 20 can clear the ball to the other in goal line whereas the women can't so it is less end to end. Shorten the field by 10m either side and you will get a more end to end product.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

AFLW fields are way too big. The men can kick the ball significantly further thus they can score from further out and more importantly clear the ball. In the women's game they get bogged down in the same part of the field for what seems like forever. Shorten the field and you will get higher scoring games.

NRLW has the same issue to a lower extent as the games are lower scoring than the men's but not as drastically so as AFL. The men's teams even if they have the last tackle on their own 30 or 20 can clear the ball to the other in goal line whereas the women can't so it is less end to end. Shorten the field by 10m either side and you will get a more end to end product.
But that`s the catch, the aflw have hyped themselves up so much that they want all the same things as the men`s so that there is no way now that they would put up with a smaller field. They would take it as some sort of slight on their equality. So they`re stuck with the larger field and all the problems associated with not being able to kick and clear the ball like the men.
Of course the other thing is too, how ridiculous would 36 players look on a smaller field.

Valheru

Coach
But that`s the catch, the aflw have hyped themselves up so much that they want all the same things as the men`s so that there is no way now that they would put up with a smaller field. They would take it as some sort of slight on their equality. So they`re stuck with the larger field and all the problems associated with not being able to kick and clear the ball like the men.
Of course the other thing is too, how ridiculous would 36 players look on a smaller field.
Well that's to their own detriment. The field/playing surface sizes of the vast majority of sports were built for the men. There is absolutely nothing wrong with modifying the size of playing areas to suit the women who aren't going to hit, kick, throw or whatever it may be as far and hard as the men. IMO it would only benefit them creating a greater spectacle and increased revenue.

As an aside, the AFLW only play with 32 on the field which exacerbates the large field issue as well as a smaller ball but the point is they have already accepted some modifications

Billythekid

First Grade

I agree that’s a problem for AFLW. Not sure I agree about NRLW watching the games I don’t think shortening the field would change all that much.

undertaker

Coach

Feminism...the gift that keeps giving!

siv

First Grade
A lot of the NRLW kicking issues stem from kicking timing. They miss kick a ball a lot

Give a soccer girl a chance to kick a ball and you will notice their better kicking technique and distance

reanimate

Bench
W

We’ve also been able to rob Union of talent for the NRLW, there’s been a decent sized women’s game in Union for years, which is now paying dividends for RL. Girls that have played Union come into the game with passing, kicking and game vision skills already present, whereas the AFLW has been taking players from basketball etc, where the skills aren’t naturally transferring to the dogs breakfast that is AFL.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Ratings dont matter mate.. even with higher ratings, NRL gets less money and media companies use the profit they make from NRL to feed their investment in AFL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seeing the impressive audiences makes me think we need to top and tale it with NRL season to get most from its value. With 9 games eventually it cant all be shown if run at same time as NRL. Maybe play Jan-April in a 16 game season when the comp gets to 17 clubs? You could then follow that up with an international series or something.
As for AFLW, might look sht but they keep drawing them in, wasnt there over 10k at NS oval the other week? Marketing over substance if ever you needed evidence!

Colk

First Grade
Seeing the impressive audiences makes me think we need to top and tale it with NRL season to get most from its value. With 9 games eventually it cant all be shown if run at same time as NRL. Maybe play Jan-April in a 16 game season when the comp gets to 17 clubs? You could then follow that up with an international series or something.
As for AFLW, might look sht but they keep drawing them in, wasnt there over 10k at NS oval the other week? Marketing over substance if ever you needed evidence!

The big problem would be that you’re playing the women’s comp in summer. You couldn’t have fixtures during the day (I would imagine) although I might add if summers moving forward are going to be like last summer then it is a possibility.

Latest posts