What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW TV ratings killing AFLW

siv

First Grade
NRLW is like another sport competing for TV viewership

We have seen NYC and this year NSW Cup make way on sports channels just so they can show NRLW

While they ate bringing in new women viewers I wonder how many RL fans are switching off due to reduced coverage

T-Boon

Coach

We have seen NYC and this year NSW Cup make way on sports channels just so they can show NRLW

While they ate bringing in new women viewers I wonder how many RL fans are switching off due to reduced coverage
I would say zero. Who cares about reserve grade? Surely NRLW already rates a lot higher than NYC ever did.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

New women and men viewers.
Look at the scoreboard.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
But VFLW invented womens sport. Women did not play any sports until VFL let women play. Just ask them.......

Can say I am disappointed they do not show more reggies, that is not NRLW fault, they could show both. That is the broadcaster.

I have enjoyed the womens version, I once convinced the wife (non sport lover) to play a season of touch footy with me, discovered she could run like a hare. She scored lots of tries and enjoyed the season, would not have survived one tackle, hence I have respect for the women who do.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
It has also shown me why many women are men's league fans, young fit men running around in shorts and tight shirts. ET, Matt Cooper etc

Those two Easts centres in the NRLW GF this weekend, I'll be watching.................

siv

First Grade
I would say zero. Who cares about reserve grade? Surely NRLW already rates a lot higher than NYC ever did.
And here lies my point

One form of the game maybe cannibalising another

Thats why I want see what the old NSW Cup viewer volumes were

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It has also shown me why many women are men's league fans, young fit men running around in shorts and tight shirts. ET, Matt Cooper etc

Those two Easts centres in the NRLW GF this weekend, I'll be watching.................
Are you anywhere near Redcliffe this Sunday?
Ticket is free, I have a spare seat if anyone is interested.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
It also shows that less is more. Not having too many rounds makes each game important.

In an ideal world, we could reduce the NRL to a 16 or 18 week regular season and have it start in May, with the NRLW running for 8 or 10 weeks before it. That will provide plenty of content for the broadcasters. If they wanted more then just turn the NRLW into a 12 week competition.
It would be wonderful to have a dedicated 4 week international window every year in there somewhere as well, something our main rival has absolutely nothing to compare with.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Love the fumbleball friendly site SportsIndustry trying to explain the dramatic collapse in aflw crowds.

"Last round of 2020 until this season were largely affected by crowd restrictions and COVID. I dont really draw any conclusions from this - its going to be a while before things go back to how they were." SportsIndustry.

I`ve got a better explanation, it`s rubbish.

1649484623672.png

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Can`t wait to they shift it to August ( btw shifting things around - always a sign of desperation ) then it will be completely disappear.
Dear oh dear ! 4 new teams next year, further dilution of talent ( ha ! ha ! what talent I hear you say ), demands for equal pay and length of season with the men... one great big money-pit developing. What a shame.
afl paying the price for trying to be everything to everybody.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
A couple of hours after I posted above, and I can only assume because of the low-scoring fumbling unattractive farce that today`s aflw GF was, the recriminations have begun.
From the fumble-ball friendly muppet at SportsIndustry:

"Slam me all you like kids, but I feel that if the AFL wanted to start a professional womens league the least it could do is have a proper professional womens league instead of the half arsed variant we have now. Lets get in a full season, decent fixture and professional pay." SportsIndustry.

Bring it on, a longer season will only mean more injuries and second rate players debuting, fatigue in general due to the longer season and interest evaporating to zero.
I can see a great big money-pit developing.

siv

First Grade
Womens comp even when its gets to full rollout should still only be a 1 round series.

I would like someone to do a analysis on average body recovery time. For the girls it looks to take longer than a week

I suspect the girls will need a bye every 4th or 5th round

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's not just AFLW TV figures falling, the crowd numbers are dropping as well.
In 2021, the AFLW Grand Final had a crowd of 22K. In 2022, it was 14K but they managed to fudge it up to 16K.
The crowds for the season just gone are not pretty reading.

Menaiduck

Juniors
Womens comp even when its gets to full rollout should still only be a 1 round series.

I would like someone to do a analysis on average body recovery time. For the girls it looks to take longer than a week

I suspect the girls will need a bye every 4th or 5th round
You really do have a problem with women

Love the fumbleball friendly site SportsIndustry trying to explain the dramatic collapse in aflw crowds.

"Last round of 2020 until this season were largely affected by crowd restrictions and COVID. I dont really draw any conclusions from this - its going to be a while before things go back to how they were." SportsIndustry.

I`ve got a better explanation, it`s rubbish.

View attachment 60023
When this mess started I'm sure it was free entry.
I'm not 100% sure but I think they started charging an entry fee the second season .
No wonder crowds dropped off .
Once the novelty wore off & people were expected to pay to watch this rubbish the crowds went south fast.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
When this mess started I'm sure it was free entry.
I'm not 100% sure but I think they started charging an entry fee the second season .
No wonder crowds dropped off .
Once the novelty wore off & people were expected to pay to watch this rubbish the crowds went south fast.
True it was and even yesterday they were offering free public transport to the game if you had a ticket. That worked well, 30 % drop on last year. Massive kick in the teeth for fumble-ball house, the alarm bells must be ringing. The part I love is that there is no going back because it would be an absolute PR disaster. And they are going to an August start this year so expect crowds to drop even further.
Truth is they`ve never gotten over that 52 000 (free-entry mind you) in their second year, they really thought people were interested, goes to show though doesn`t it, even fumble-ball fans have their limits.

Latest posts