What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Wb1234

Referee
Unless Stephen Bradbury is being asked to hand back his gold medal then it doesn’t matter.

We shouldn’t care how or why it happened - at least to a point. Our biggest concern is how to put ourselves in the best position moving forward.
Nah that’s not what I mean

I mean when it was a fair contest rugby league was the easy winner

afl is only there because rugby league was decimated by super league

once the nrl begins expansion (which is now happening) afls days as number one are gone

league will reclaim its mantle
You are not understanding what he is saying.

A player has a contract with a club not the actual competition, so then it comes down to club licences. The AFL clubs would have had to invalidate their licence with the competition, and move to a rebel league. The players would then have had to decide to join or not. Without clubs going, players would have had to break contracts with those clubs which would have required them to go to court.

Super League happened because clubs decided to join that competition.
nrl players have contracts with clubs too

if Murdoch had really wanted afl he would’ve got it easily for the money he spent on league. Indeed the afl pay tv rights were sold for a pittance back then
Well you actually have to get to that point (moving it to a subscription service) in order for us to achieve that goal of beating fumbleball.

We could do that yet I don’t think V’Landys has the cojones or brilliance to actually successfully do this. He is more likely to look us in for a longer period.

I severely hope that I’m wrong but nothing he has done thus far suggests to me that he is capable of pulling it off
accusing vlandys of not having balls is the last thing to accuse him of

good old Pete is a bull in a China shop

wait till nrl adds team 18 and redoes the tv deal and let’s see if we beat the fumblers

my bet is we will

The nrl has decades of growth ahead of it. Where can the afl grow too ?

Colk

First Grade

once the nrl begins expansion (which is now happening) afls days as number one are gone

if Murdoch had really wanted afl he would’ve got it easily for the money he spent on league. Indeed the afl pay tv rights were sold for a pittance back then

wait till nrl adds team 18 and redoes the tv deal and let’s see if we beat the fumblers

my bet is we will

He did it to league because it was easier to do so for the reasons that have been discussed. Money has never been an object for Murdoch because he is a billionaire.

Also, if he didn’t value fumbleball he wouldn’t be paying them the money he currently is or has done.

I think V’Landys is total bluster but if you want to argue that he has cojones then he is just stupid. Again if he had the necessary skill or ability, he would have had the stadium agreements in writing and managed a better deal.

tri_colours

Juniors
You don’t think people who already like RL aren’t watching? Or do you think there are lots of people in qlnd who don’t yet like RL but will because THE Dolphins have joined? And if yes why dont they like RL now when it’s a heartland state? It’s like saying we lost north sydney region because there isn’t a nrl club based there, it’s nonsense.
Like I said earlier they love Rugby League, There is a big market for PTV , Qld do prefer to watch Qld more so than anyone else. And the Dolphins means more Qld teams on FTA - also there metro.

Perth Red

Post Whore

my bet is we will

How badly does Vlandys have to screw up before this fool sees through him? Yeh he’ll get us a better deal next time lol

footy75

Bench
Watching both Grand Finals, the whole event/production of the AFL just looks bigger and more professional by channel 7, or am I seeing things?

RL usually beats the AFL for the actual game itself though.

Wb1234

Referee
He did it to league because it was easier to do so for the reasons that have been discussed. Money has never been an object for Murdoch because he is a billionaire.

Also, if he didn’t value fumbleball he wouldn’t be paying them the money he currently is or has done.

I think V’Landys is total bluster but if you want to argue that he has cojones then he is just stupid. Again if he had the necessary skill or ability, he would have had the stadium agreements in writing and managed a better deal.
Like I said before nsw horse raceing bs vic racism

the Everest and the other race he started to surpass Melbourne spring derby

major achievements

plus managing equine flu impact on the sport

reanimate

Bench
One of Vlandys’ best achievements in NSW Racing was getting revenue generating ideas such as the race fields fees in place. That netted revenue for NSW Racing that they weren’t otherwise going to be able to collect from foreign owned bookies who based themselves in the NT.

It’s a shame he hasn’t been able to squeeze those who make money out of the NRL for more. That extra money he’s netted for Racing NSW has allowed them to push ideas like the Everest and the incursion into Racing Victoria’s dominant springtime season. In the world of the football codes, it’s the AFL who is going to have the extra cash to splash on encroaching on our territory.

Wb1234

Referee
One of Vlandys’ best achievements in NSW Racing was getting revenue generating ideas such as the race fields fees in place. That netted revenue for NSW Racing that they weren’t otherwise going to be able to collect from foreign owned bookies who based themselves in the NT.

It’s a shame he hasn’t been able to squeeze those who make money out of the NRL for more. That extra money he’s netted for Racing NSW has allowed them to push ideas like the Everest and the incursion into Racing Victoria’s dominant springtime season. In the world of the football codes, it’s the AFL who is going to have the extra cash to splash on encroaching on our territory.
He has

He squeezed bookies for an extra 8 million as a premium rate for origins and gf

his other achievements were the Everest and the other event and also getting over a hundred from govt to deal with equine flu

he’s the best politician in nsw but that’s not saying much

reanimate

Bench
He has

He squeezed bookies for an extra 8 million as a premium rate for origins and gf

his other achievements were the Everest and the other event and also getting over a hundred from govt to deal with equine flu

he’s the best politician in nsw but that’s not saying much
That 8 million is a drop in the bucket compared to the millions more AFL have raked in from the broadcasters. That’s where the real money was to be made and that’s where his biggest failing is to be found.

Wb1234

Referee
That 8 million is a drop in the bucket compared to the millions more AFL have raked in from the broadcasters. That’s where the real money was to be made and that’s where his biggest failing is to be found.
Nah they haven’t

there is very little difference currently between the two deals

if you are talking about the renegotiated deal that doesn’t start for two more years and contains over a billion in contra

with a 9th game the nrl will top the 500 million pa they get

Oh and another 8 million from the nsw govt to host the grand final lmao

mongoose

Coach
What was the AFL ch7 market Share? 90%?

NRL last night 46% market share.

So like with SOO it shows the move is to 9 now and streaming. Maybe the ratings needs to move with the times
Yeah I think FTA ratings are outdated. A lot of people I know don't have an TV aerial anymore - they would have watched it on 9now.

reanimate

Bench
Nah they haven’t

there is very little difference currently between the two deals

if you are talking about the renegotiated deal that doesn’t start for two more years and contains over a billion in contra

with a 9th game the nrl will top the 500 million pa they get

Oh and another 8 million from the nsw govt to host the grand final lmao
Yes, the new deal is what I’m talking about. Keep denying reality if it makes you feel better, even V’landys isn’t denying the reality, he’s taken to making excuses like this:
Mr V’landys is also keenly aware of the need to make a deal that provides value to the league and its media partners.

“Our mantra is everyone has to be viable, and we want to make the broadcasters viable,” he said.

“So the one thing that nobody’s understanding here is the AFL is saying all these amounts, but what if something happens, and they don’t get them? Like if the businesses become unviable?

“So what our mantra is, yes, we want to maximise our rights fees and get more than what the AFL have got. But at the same time, we want to make sure that the business model is sustainable. Otherwise, all sports will suffer.”
“Wha.. What if something happens??”

The AFL knows Fox is backed by one of the largest media empires in the world and their product is essential to their success in Australia. They went in with that mindset and squeezed them for max value, our head honcho made the idiotic decision to extend with them during a pandemic and didn’t bend them over a barrel, despite our product also being essential to their success.

Iamback

Coach
If FTA tv is slow to move with the times, then maybe it's time to change the anti siphoning laws.

I am not saying FTA is slow to move with the times, You can stream it online but the ratings haven't moved with the times.

Take the AFL ratings 3m people was 90% of the viewing audience. What did the other 21m people in Australia do?

NRL was 2.3m so far from 46%. so where is the other 18m people, I am not sure of the answer but the majority of the country isn't counted

Colk

First Grade
Yes, the new deal is what I’m talking about. Keep denying reality if it makes you feel better, even V’landys isn’t denying the reality, he’s taken to making excuses like this:

The AFL knows Fox is backed by one of the largest media empires in the world and their product is essential to their success in Australia. They went in with that mindset and squeezed them for max value, our head honcho made the idiotic decision to extend with them during a pandemic and didn’t bend them over a barrel, despite our product also being essential to their success.

This times x 1,000. He even stated in that Webster interview that Foxtel needed the content or they would be in trouble, implying that he knew just how valuable the product is to them.

Extending the deal for over seven years for essentially no extra money with that knowledge, suggests that he is either incompetent or he did it to favour News Limited.

We have also now learnt, as expected that they can’t amend the deal and there is no ace up his sleeve so to speak

He keeps changing the parameters of what can be done and offering excuses about what actually happened, which in turn suggests he doesn’t know what to do and deflecting.

How anybody can turn around and say with confidence that it will be fixed and he is the man to do it is beyond me.

Steel Saints

Juniors
The more PVL speaks, the more you start to realize that he is not the right person to be chairman. Surely club CEO's, and the rest of commission should come to that conclusion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vlandys might be like Churchill (bear with me). Great leader in a crisis, terrible leader in normal times..
He signed a sht tv deal in a crisis, allegedly against his CEO and CFO's advice. I wouldn't say that was great leadership? Under his watch

23/24 $402 v $473mill
25-27 $402v $643mill

hmmmmmm

Steel Saints

Juniors

The difference is the AFL are ruthless, and they'll get what they are aiming for. While the NRL and PVL are soft and just follow orders from Fox and Nine.