What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Perth Red

Post Whore
AFL averaged 3.1m in the afternoon. NRL will come in around 2.9m for the AU and with NZ would reach 3.1 or thereabouts.

Ratings would have been fine if it hadnt blow out early. Parra fairy tale would have a similar effect to the Western Bulldogs win a few years back
how long does someone have to watch to be counted? Id imagine if people turned off it wouldn't have been till half time. I think we were all hanging on till around then in the hope Eels would score and go into the break juts 2 tries down.

The_Wookie

Bench
some people couldn't see the nose on their face if it was pointed out to them! There is no growth for the game in NSW, there's very little in Brisbane. New markets is where the opportunity for growth sits. If this so called Sydney blockbuster GF doesn't show them that, along with the mammoth tv deal disparity, , well there's no showing some people.

Brisbane is a good call for the NRL, make no mistake, its a hugely underserviced market for rugby league and the long term derby prospects cant be under rated. the chance to get two big Brisbane audiences every week is valuable to the NRL and to its broadcasters.

Whether the next market is Perth or NZ - either works for broadcasters and timezones - doesnt really matter to me, as I think the audiences are roughly going to be the same. NZ also works from an international game development perspective.

The_Wookie

Bench
Low effort response

Rupert had 500 million to spend

he didn’t choose afl the football code he grew up with cause he knew it wouldn’t rate

money talks

Your comments are almost all low effort in this thread.

If you dont know anything about the licensing issue, just say so.

The_Wookie

Bench
how long does someone have to watch to be counted? Id imagine if people turned off it wouldn't have been till half time. I think we were all hanging on till around then in the hope Eels would score and go into the break juts 2 tries down.

reach counts anything longer than a minute
averages are done over 15 minute intervals

I dont get these breakdowns any more unfortunately.

Storm80

Juniors
AFL averaged 3.1m in the afternoon. NRL will come in around 2.9m for the AU and with NZ would reach 3.1 or thereabouts.

Ratings would have been fine if it hadnt blow out early. Parra fairy tale would have a similar effect to the Western Bulldogs win a few years back
Not really. Who played the Western Bulldogs again? Ah that’s right Sydney Swans the team strategically relocated to grow the game in foreign soil.

“The dual state showdown between Sydney Swans and Western Bulldogs resulted in 6.5 million football lovers tuning across Australia, with an average across the metro cities and regional homes of 4.089 million viewers, up 16 per cent on last year.”

Had that 2016 AFL GF been Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne or even Western Bulldogs v any other Victorian club - it would never have rated outside of Victoria. NSW wouldn’t have tuned in at all because like several Sydney NRL clubs - no one outside that region/district gives a shit about the Western Bulldogs.

You’re just reiterating my point - A national approach to NRL to ensure ratings remain high across the country. AFL pound for pound in no.1 in this country. They don’t need NZ ratings to compete or make it seem like a success.

In any event, if NZ is only giving 200,000 viewers for 2 west Sydney teams it’s a disaster. That’s why NRL need NZ2, Perth and Adelaide - at the expense of 2 Sydney clubs and the introduction of an 18th licence.

People in Sydney may think two West Sydney teams in the GF is the greatest thing to happen to the game ever, but it ain’t. All it does is highlight the weakness of the code for all to see.

Its no secret AFL are always happy when an interstate club (especially from Queensland or NSW) makes the GF. When it happens in NRL, all ya hear from fans and NRL HQ is “ahh I long for the days of a Bulldogs v Parra GF… f**k these interlopers from interstate”.

If you ain’t growing the game, you’re going backwards. It’s simples

Canard

Immortal
Where does 2020 (Melb in Lockdown and Storm involved) and 2021 ( Melb and Syd in Lockdown) rank in terms of all time ratings for the AFL and NRL GFs?

Seems to me that the NRL was about the same as 2019 (no lockdown) figures?

Perth Red

Post Whore
reach counts anything longer than a minute
averages are done over 15 minute intervals

I dont get these breakdowns any more unfortunately.
so if the avg audience is 2.3 mill is that people who watched the whole game or a certain portion of it?

The_Wookie

Bench
You know mine don’t own win anymore don’t you ?

your previous post was talking about nine

I dont care who owns WIN. Its where the RegTAM coverage is that matters.

But WIN clearly matters to Nine.

“We’ve obviously switched over to an affiliate deal with WIN and there’s a crossholding there, it means we are very close partner with WIN,” Mr Sneesby said.

“We were able to effectively gain the benefits of being a single company without owning WIN TV. We’ve already integrated opportunities across our sales teams, and a range of other operational things which give us advantage both for WIN and for Nine. Suffice to say, we’re extracting value from a very close commercial partnership without the need to buy WIN Television.”

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im guessing that for NRL audience reach for a GF:

Qlnd v sydney club rates best
then Sydney club v Melb
then broad appeal sydney club (like Souths or St's) v sydney club
then qlnd v Melb
finally regional or smaller suburb club like sharks or panthers v sydney club like we got this year
lastly the worse case would be small sydney club v small sydney club like Sharks v Manly or similar????

The_Wookie

Bench
so if the avg audience is 2.3 mill is that people who watched the whole game or a certain portion of it?

Every 15 minutes Oztam/RegTAM take a snapshot of the audience, the average of those intervals is what makes the average.

Ill post a sample when i get home for you

Storm80

Juniors

Rupert to his lawyers - “hey guys I have $500m to spend on setting up a rival league to prop up my brand new pay tv station in Australia. What do you reckon - AFL or ARL? Or can we possibly do both rival AFL and ARL competitions?”

Lawyers to Rupert - “ARL club and player governance framework is a shambles we can litterally sign up clubs and their players under ARLs noses.

AFL governance framework is water tight. We’d have to set up new clubs and might only be able to sign players out of contract. So that means no Collingwood or Carlton etc and most playing lists will be full of country league players with maybe one key marquee player if we lucky.”

Rupert “Right, so your telling me I can poach ARL clubs and sign all players and set up a quality rival competition - plus I already own the broncos - whereas in AFL I’d have to create 12 new clubs and have country journey men running around the park each week… Yeah, I’m no moron, let’s go with the ARL option thanks”.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Every 15 minutes Oztam/RegTAM take a snapshot of the audience, the average of those intervals is what makes the average.

Ill post a sample when i get home for you
cheers, think I've got it and how they get a final avg over the whole game. Its for all the different segments added together then an avg of that is worked out? So if 2mill watch the first half and only 1 mill the second the avg they report is 1.5mill?

The_Wookie

Bench
Where does 2020 (Melb in Lockdown and Storm involved) and 2021 ( Melb and Syd in Lockdown) rank in terms of all time ratings for the AFL and NRL GFs?

2020: 2.756m (inc BVOD)
2021: 3.596m (inc BVOD)
2020: 3.119m (inc BVOD)
2019: 2.725m (inc BVOD)
2018: 3.030m
2017: 3.399m
2016: 3.733m
2015: 3.739m
2014: 3.891m

The_Wookie

Bench
cheers, think I've got it and how they get a final avg over the whole game. Its for all the different segments added together then an avg of that is worked out? So if 2mill watch the first half and only 1 mill the second the avg they report is 1.5mill?
Essentially, reach is every unqiue individual viewer that tunes in regardless of duration.

If 100,000 of those tune in for the first half, but only 50,000 for the second half. Then the average viewership is 75,000.

Storm80

Juniors
Brisbane is a good call for the NRL, make no mistake, its a hugely underserviced market for rugby league and the long term derby prospects cant be under rated. the chance to get two big Brisbane audiences every week is valuable to the NRL and to its broadcasters.

Whether the next market is Perth or NZ - either works for broadcasters and timezones - doesnt really matter to me, as I think the audiences are roughly going to be the same. NZ also works from an international game development perspective.
It’s just a shame they didn’t select the right 2nd team in Brisbane to maximise interest.

It had to be a team south of the river. Dolphins will always be the nice quiet little brother that try’s hard but is never a genuine threat to the Broncos.

There’s a reason Broncos didn’t mind playing out of QEII, besides getting a better deal obviously. The South and west was always where the future population was going to be

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s just a shame they didn’t select the right 2nd team in Brisbane to maximise interest.

It had to be a team south of the river. Dolphins will always be the nice quiet little brother that try’s hard but is never a genuine threat to the Broncos.

There’s a reason Broncos didn’t mind playing out of QEII, besides getting a better deal obviously. The South and west was always where the future population was going to be
Vlandys making a decision based on best interests of News ltd? I'm shocked! Should have been South Brisbane Firehawks at Suncorp then eventually Redcliffe at a rebuilt Dolphin stadium if there was room in years to come. But hey ho.

Wb1234

Referee

Nah like I said Rupert could’ve started new teams like he did in rugby league

the arl tried to stop Rupert starting his comp and they ultimately failed

so again he spent 500 million on league when he would’ve signed the afl pay tv rights at the time for 50 years lmao

you should’ve seen how afl was perceived In Sydney in the 90s

it was a laughingstock

aerial ping pong was the nicest term used

tri_colours

Juniors
some people couldn't see the nose on their face if it was pointed out to them! There is no growth for the game in NSW, there's very little in Brisbane. New markets is where the opportunity for growth sits. If this so called Sydney blockbuster GF doesn't show them that, along with the mammoth tv deal disparity, , well there's no showing some people.

There is still plenty of opportunities in Qld and there Rugby League mad. Just like the Paciffic.

Iamback

Coach

Good call.

Good comparison as far as interest interstate too.

2015 is when the decline of FTA started, Storm being involved keeps QLD and Victoria interested. 2019 and this year lacked that

Latest posts