What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear Ben, time to sign the contract

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
I would agree with you EXCEPT that Sullivan waited to ask for the release until after Hunt had resigned. This tells me it's not about stifling his career or growth, it's purely about game time and money. He was happy to take a position in the halves if Hunt didn't sign irrespective of the rest of the team and quality of the roster.

To me, Sullivans request indicates an expectation that he deserves a more permanent first grade spot and more money now.

Possibly, it's hard to know. Ciraldo is unproven but does look to have the goods, and really, Sullivans ability to step up fulltime is still unknown. Not to mention his injury woes recently. I do think the Dragons have a plan, but it means he has to wait. If that's not something he can do, then he probably is better off moving on.

I don't think Hook is the answer as coach. But I do think he's a means to an end while the club works to setup the rest of the coaching staff. I think the shuffle in the lower grades and the assistant coaches is part of this search for a workable hierarchy.
I don't think sullivans request has anything to do with money i think he just doesn't want to wait another three years behind hunt he seemed to be okay with one but three years is to long we should not have resigned hunt and used his money to buy some forwards sullivan could be a ten year player hunt is near the end of his career.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I don't think sullivans request has anything to do with money i think he just doesn't want to wait another three years behind hunt he seemed to be okay with one but three years is to long we should not have resigned hunt and used his money to buy some forwards sullivan could be a ten year player hunt is near the end of his career.
As far as I’m aware Sullivan’s contract has a step up in payments starting 2024 so I don’t think this has anything to do with money. You can only assume some promises were made to Sullivan when he extended earlier this year. If true it would explain why he wants out if a promise has been broken.

I posted somewhere else, I can live with Sloan leaving because we are so flush with fullbacks, centres & wingers but quality halfbacks are much harder to replace.

True_Believer

Juniors
I'm sorry but I don't think, given the game time he's had and the injuries he's had, that he'd be ready by the end of next year. I also don't think, as I've said ad nauseum, that we should have 3 rookies in the spine. I don't think Amone is going to be ready to take control of the team by the end of next year either.

He might end up being a 10 year player but IMO he needs to be patient. No amount of forwards can offset a spine full of inexperience.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Yeah this is where the gap actually is. But given my thoughts on a 3/4 rookie spine, I wouldn't be putting Hunt in at 9. I've commented elsewhere on why I don't think he's a full season Dummy Half (26 games, defense etc). I can't comment on Liddle as I haven't seen anything other than a few highlights on youtube. I also don't think Macca is the solution, however I think one of those needs to be in the team (Liddle only because that's his chosen position and he does have first grade experience) but having Bud on the bench to share game time in that position OR coming on in the halves and Hunt filling the Dummy Half for those periods. That is providing Bud game time and achieving my staggered approach.
Thanks for the response. We may think a little different, but maybe not that much, and hearing different views is fine by me.

I think the idea of promoting Sullivan from the bench to build game time could work. Question, where does it end? Does Sullivan become hooker? Or Hunt? Or does this transition off the bench take 3 years?

when I worked thru this, I imagined that we move towards Amone and Sullivan halves. So I think, why not start there. Hunt can be hooker, but like Cameron smith, he can control the team from there. We need his kicking game, his control, his experience. So could an imaginative coach create a 3 halves system? where Hunt acts as dummy half 75% of the time, takes control when he needs/wants (as captain he calls the plays and overrides others) but others fill in when time/space is needed. Inthe beginning Sullivan spends less time, and liddle fills in (early or late). But as he develops his game time grows. The main difference here is that Hunt (& the team) would need to develop a different style, and this needs to start now

maybe this doesn’t work… but I don’t know how else it works when you have 3 quality halves and no quality hooker. (The former means we loose future players, the later is a huge hole)

matPORTS

Juniors
My 2c worth:

Hunt - needed to be re-signed, and deserved to be given the season he had (where would we have ended up without him)... particularly if our options at 9 for 2024/2025 are lean (I don't see any top quality hookers coming available over the next 12 months so we may be relying on Hunt & possibly re-signing Liddle depending on how he goes next year + anyone else coming through the juniors). My only other hope is that if others do step up in the system and put pressure on his position within the squad, he does the right thing and doesn't stand in the way (be it by a mutual consent to leave or early retirement).

Sloan & Sullivan - the bulls*** that these young fellas carry on with along with their managers (not just singling these guys out but all instances of this right across the NRL) is absolutely ridiculous. You are contracted long term. Now how about getting out there, ripping in during the pre-season, coming out in the trials and early next season (be it in reserve grade or off the bench in first grade) and making it impossible for the coach not to select you? It's one thing to come out on game day and show what you can do. Your application and attitude at training and general conduct off the field also counts for something. Asking for a release just goes to prove your off field attitudes. Guys - step up !!

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
My 2c worth:

Hunt - needed to be re-signed, and deserved to be given the season he had (where would we have ended up without him)... particularly if our options at 9 for 2024/2025 are lean (I don't see any top quality hookers coming available over the next 12 months so we may be relying on Hunt & possibly re-signing Liddle depending on how he goes next year + anyone else coming through the juniors). My only other hope is that if others do step up in the system and put pressure on his position within the squad, he does the right thing and doesn't stand in the way (be it by a mutual consent to leave or early retirement).

Sloan & Sullivan - the bulls*** that these young fellas carry on with along with their managers (not just singling these guys out but all instances of this right across the NRL) is absolutely ridiculous. You are contracted long term. Now how about getting out there, ripping in during the pre-season, coming out in the trials and early next season (be it in reserve grade or off the bench in first grade) and making it impossible for the coach not to select you? It's one thing to come out on game day and show what you can do. Your application and attitude at training and general conduct off the field also counts for something. Asking for a release just goes to prove your off field attitudes. Guys - step up !!
All fair enough, but I would add these qualifications:

1. if Hunt genuinely loves the club and wants the young guys to advance, as quoted in another thread, why doesn’t he at least agree to consider the hooker role?

2. any club should use all the talent available. It is so frustrating that old guys are being preferred over young guys to the point where the up and comers can‘t see much of a future with us.

3. why can’t Hook dare to contemplate some creative attacking options? Obviously, with Hunt, Sullivan, Amone, Sloane, Ramsey, the Faegais, and various others - there’s so much untapped potential… Are we just going to ignore it until it goes away.

the whole scene is one of stagnation, entirely of our own making.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Ben Hunt, played the FOMO game with our so called expert recruitment team and they bought it Hook, line and sinker.

Now, what's not clear is what is going on in the background amongst the playing group. Obviously, there are factions that are slowly but surely dividing the players. The media frenzy around players asking for a release, and some on more than one occasion, is just that "media frenzy", although I'm not saying it's not true the facts are somewhat extended past the truth.

I'm positive that if Ben Hunt doesn't play to full standard and doesn't start the season strong, then the supporters will be lining up ready and waiting to give it to him deluxe. However, I can see the excuse already written on paper that "he had a tough International campaign and needs time to get back to form". Yeah, right, thanks!!!

Dragon David

First Grade
Ben Hunt, played the FOMO game with our so called expert recruitment team and they bought it Hook, line and sinker.

Now, what's not clear is what is going on in the background amongst the playing group. Obviously, there are factions that are slowly but surely dividing the players. The media frenzy around players asking for a release, and some on more than one occasion, is just that "media frenzy", although I'm not saying it's not true the facts are somewhat extended past the truth.

I'm positive that if Ben Hunt doesn't play to full standard and doesn't start the season strong, then the supporters will be lining up ready and waiting to give it to him deluxe. However, I can see the excuse already written on paper that "he had a tough International campaign and needs time to get back to form". Yeah, right, thanks!!!

saintmar

Juniors

Ben Hunt will be copping left, right and centre next year.
His signing is a HUGE mistake especially given no one else REALLY wanted him.
IMO I think Ben and the club were lucky that even three players bothered to show up a the so called awards.

dungay dragon

Juniors

IMO I think Ben and the club were lucky that even three players bothered to show up a the so called awards.
Should've had it at Vaughanie's .Joint wouldve been packed to the rafters ..
All the formers inc Duffster , Corey and Co all making an appearance ..
Seriously .. Such a poor look .
Just wondering what our major sponsors are thinking 😮Albert needs to get onto the front foot and sort all this shit up , before the joint explodes ..............

Parko1310

Juniors
Not true.. Dolphins, Titans, Bulldogs all interested in Hunt.

RedVee_8

Juniors
As far as I’m aware Sullivan’s contract has a step up in payments starting 2024 so I don’t think this has anything to do with money. You can only assume some promises were made to Sullivan when he extended earlier this year. If true it would explain why he wants out if a promise has been broken.

I posted somewhere else, I can live with Sloan leaving because we are so flush with fullbacks, centres & wingers but quality halfbacks are much harder to replace.
Weidler in the Sun Hersld today states the club assured Sullivan and family at this resigning that Hunt would not be here post 23.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Well it's done now. We have to live with it and any consequences. Good or bad nothing can be done by us. Whatever money we have left hopefully enough to sign up some worthy prop forwards who are not has beens and rejects.

Someone posted that Sullivan will be staying at the Dragons for next year at least - see how much playing time he gets in first grade and how Hook uses him is the query.

Come Nov 1 we will see who they have signed up.
Great!!!!!!!!.....now we've got a talented kid that wants to go elsewhere and have to wait to see (a) how many runs he gets in 1st Grade (b) how much interest hes going to convey for the coming season (as well as Sloan) and (c) based on passed efforts what duds we acquire in Nov...FMD we are a professional outfit now....so much to look forward to again next year

To be honest, I don't know why all you whingey old sad sacks would bother watching the team next year if your expectations are already so low. It can't be good for your blood pressure, surely. I can't see your attitudes changing even if we have positive season. And if our season does not improve, well your woofer valves will certainly pop. If something pains you so much, give it up. Try something a little less stressful, like needlepoint, macrame, or cooking classes. I know many in here disagree with me, or don't like me, but that is fine. I will continue to live my life of sunshine, rainbows, and James Squires, all stress free, regardless of you chilling out or continuing with your anti Ben Hunt anti Dragons rants for the next 12 months. I am still concerned for your health and well being. I hate to see anyone pop a woofer....it is not pretty.

Mojo

Bench
I agree that the negativity is over the top but, fair dinkum, surely the great St George club can retain a top player like Hunt without managing to piss off a crop of young talent. How on earth do we make sows ears out of silk purses so consistently.

As far as I can see it’s still only media speculation that Sullivan and Sloane have requested releases since Hunt re-signed. Surely the club can produce a media release to clarify all of this.

Clearly it’s the coaches job to ensure that Hunt is heavily engaged in Bud‘s accelerated development.

There‘s a tonne of positive potential in this squad. All the supporters want is for ALL of the players, coaches, directors and executives to make this their singular focus AND make it publicly clear that this is indeed the case.

Maddragon99

Juniors
To be honest, I don't know why all you whingey old sad sacks would bother watching the team next year if your expectations are already so low. It can't be good for your blood pressure, surely. I can't see your attitudes changing even if we have positive season. And if our season does not improve, well your woofer valves will certainly pop. If something pains you so much, give it up. Try something a little less stressful, like needlepoint, macrame, or cooking classes. I know many in here disagree with me, or don't like me, but that is fine. I will continue to live my life of sunshine, rainbows, and James Squires, all stress free, regardless of you chilling out or continuing with your anti Ben Hunt anti Dragons rants for the next 12 months. I am still concerned for your health and well being. I hate to see anyone pop a woofer....it is not pretty.
I think in this instance the pessimism is justified, we weren’t near a top 8 team this year & we are going into 2023 with a weaker squad. On top of that we just paid a fortune to extend Hunt when we have a very exciting prospect signed & ready to take over in 2024. No wonder there’s so much distress among (older) fans who remember better days.

I think in this instance the pessimism is justified, we weren’t near a top 8 team this year & we are going into 2023 with a weaker squad. On top of that we just paid a fortune to extend Hunt when we have a very exciting prospect signed & ready to take over in 2024. No wonder there’s so much distress among (older) fans who remember better days.
Not if detrimental to your health. No amount of whinging or death riding our captain is going to changing things. I can't wait to see the the drivel that is gonna spill in here when or if Ben Hunt has even 1 off game or quiet game next season....which he certainly will. Anyway, each to their own.

Crush

Coach
Not if detrimental to your health. No amount of whinging or death riding our captain is going to changing things. I can't wait to see the the drivel that is gonna spill in here when or if Ben Hunt has even 1 off game or quiet game next season....which he certainly will. Anyway, each to their own.
Not sure why the talk of people’s health, blood pressure and heart condition?
It’s a sporting forum Dorothy, we all post on here for a bit of conversation about a topic we are all invested in, SGI.
Nobody is having a heart attack because of Ben Hunt, we are just discussing it, I’d say this forum is good stress relief for me.
Takes my mind off the more important issues.

Latest posts