What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What those advocating afl style expansion don't want u to know

Wb1234

Referee
The thing that makes me laugh the most is the people who talk about less Sydney clubs, as a solution to having Perth or Adelaide, to be like afl, are ususually fans of the cowboys raiders or other super league regional sides

literally if they took a break and thought about what they are saying, the nswrl and arl made a mistake bringing their sides into the competition, and should’ve gone with Perth and Adelaide instead

but the fans from Sydney never Would want a team in Perth or Adelaide over the cowboys or raiders

docbrown

Coach
The thing that makes me laugh the most is the people who talk about less Sydney clubs, as a solution to having Perth or Adelaide, to be like afl, are ususually fans of the cowboys raiders or other super league regional sides
The thing that gets me is that it's not even necessary. They're acting as if we can only have one or the other. You can add Perth and Adelaide and still have a spot for a 20th team. It's just death riding the NRL for no reason. People have been predicting the death of clubs for decades and they'll do it in the future too.

Wb1234

Referee
The thing that gets me is that it's not even necessary. They're acting as if we can only have one or the other. You can add Perth and Adelaide and still have a spot for a 20th team. It's just death riding the NRL for no reason. People have been predicting the death of clubs for decades and they'll do it in the future too.
Imo some people have a jealousy or a hatred of rugby league in Sydney

which makes their decision of watching the nrl nuts

End of the day this is what the nswrl grew into. Because it was the most successful rugby league comp on earth

without the nswrl success even brisbane now would probably be a fumble ball state

docbrown

Coach
Imo some people have a jealousy or a hatred of rugby league in Sydney

which makes their decision of watching the nrl nuts

End of the day this is what the nswrl grew into. Because it was the most successful rugby league comp on earth

without the nswrl success even brisbane now would probably be a fumble ball state
I hate certain NRL clubs but I want every NRL club to thrive because losing clubs is bad for the game in general. You're right. The NRL might not be perfect but you work with what you've got.

The same way I explain the horrible ratings elsewhere. The result was a foregone conclusion.

What's your argument? That Sydney NRL clubs should pull the same as the Broncos in Brisbane? Nobody is suggesting that. It's a strawman argument. That's like saying the Broncos should draw the same as the Knights in Newcastle. The Queensland teams are obviously going to be several times more popular than the Sydney NRL clubs in Queensland -- BUT -- that doesn't mean that there are no Sydney NRL club supporters in Queensland either or that they are insignificant. People only believe that if they're unaware of the reality or have an agenda to push.
A few years' ago the Broncos averaged 173k, Cowboys and Titans 157k, Storm 150k and everyone else 107k in Brisbane on Ch9. Queensland teams rate better in Sydney than Sydney teams do in Brisbane. If there were lots of Sydney fans in Brisbane then this wouldn't be the case.

And yet you still fail to acknowledge that receiving half the amount of prime time commercial TV exposure can affect sponsorship values. Do you understand how advertising works?
I'm pointing out the reason they have half as many FTA games is because they have far fewer fans willing to watch them play. You cannot say it's all down to less games and not having fewer fans. Having fewer fans is what drives down their sponsorship value.

Cowboys didn't have 17 FTA games but got $8.7m in sponsorship, making a mockery of your argument.

Colk

First Grade
The argument about the number of teams in Sydney is pretty redundant. There shouldn’t be any more and as Doc said, it doesn’t prevent from making good decisions about the next three sides (if it gets to that point).

Hopefully we just make those good decisions and Sydney clubs get bigger.

Didn't you say Sydney should keep all nine clubs but Brisbane should just have two?

A massive double standard and a sign of NSWRL bias.

Rugby league is more popular in Brisbane than in Sydney.

Sydney's population is only twice as big as Brisbane's, so how can you argue for Sydney to have more than four times as many teams?

Plus the finances of Sydney's clubs are poor compared to the Broncos, Dolphins and Cowboys, so there's no basis for Sydney to have more than four times as many teams.

There's just not enough rugby league fans in Sydney to support nine clubs. You ignore all of the evidence, but the numbers don't lie.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What year are these figures sourced from? And what is the year on year trend for this sponsorship?

I mean by your logic, the Bulldogs have less supporters then any club in the NRL, which is patently ridiculous.
2021, from relevant annual reports. Dolphins is from their press release.
I was surprised at bulldogs, either their sales and marketing team are crap or companies don’t want to be associated with them.

Based on one Covid affected year.

Is that enough data to make such sweeping changes?
you can go back to 2018&19 and the trend is the same. I wonder if the quality of corporate facilities at some of these clubs grounds puts sponsors off?

King-Gutho94

Coach
Unless it's financial situation is so peril I don't think any clubs die moving forward.

At the end of the day with social media these days there will be a call to arms if things became so desperate and a club is close to the vine. That fans would chip in to keep there club alive.

In saying that one club I wouldn't care if they are gone is Manly.

They were gone in 2000-2002 and it was enjoyable a shame the extinction only lasted 3 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes and no, in theory yes, in reality the existing clubs struggles have long been held as a reason for no expansion going all the way back to Gallop in 2006 ish statements. As the grant keeps going up to keep clubs afloat the cost of expansion becomes greater for the nrl. Bit of a furphy to say struggling clubs don’t impact the nrls ability to add more clubs, especially with the way the nrl is failing to grow its revenue as it should be.

Wb1234

Referee
Unless it's financial situation is so peril I don't think any clubs die moving forward.

At the end of the day with social media these days there will be a call to arms if things became so desperate and a club is close to the vine. That fans would chip in to keep there club alive.

In saying that one club I wouldn't care if they are gone is Manly.

They were gone in 2000-2002 and it was enjoyable a shame the extinction only lasted 3 years.

2021, from relevant annual reports. Dolphins is from their press release.
I was surprised at bulldogs, either their sales and marketing team are crap or companies don’t want to be associated with them.

you can go back to 2018&19 and the trend is the same. I wonder if the quality of corporate facilities at some of these clubs grounds puts sponsors off?
If I was running a major company I would want my product to be plastered on a team that gets saturation coverage in a large market. Sydney is a large market, but with nine clubs competing for market share within the Sydney RL community -- amid competition from Swans, Giants and Waratahs -- there's only limited space available for each club.

Iamback

Coach

Lets just say a single Sydney club does have $6m from sponsors, If all 9 have that we are talking $50m brought into the game via Sydney

Throw in the assets too and only an idiot would say it isn't strong

siv

First Grade
I still think they want conferences and 24 teams is the ideal two x 12. Play your conference home and away. Top five final system for both

tv will love it as it’s more derbies

the problem is I can’t think of 24 decent teams
Wont be hard just need 7

CC Bears
Ipswich
Perth
Adelaide
NZ Orcas
PNG
Pacific XIII

MugaB

Coach
Based on one Covid affected year.

Is that enough data to make such sweeping changes?
Of course it does... if it has the word cronulla or manly in it, this f**kwit goes to town about how shit they are... oh but if it st george or roosters then don't worry about it... fact is the dribbler cheerypicks everything to suit his narritave of rationalisation and has a massive hard on for the sharks atm... even tho sharks are on a massive winfall now, steady sponsors, 2nd largest junior base and growing largely into the bay area, where Stgeorge has lacked in its comp... this fkwit from bumfk logan would have shat on souths a decade ago, yet they have become a powerhouse club now.. his shortsighted over analytical view with data, spewing out opinions worse than peter fitzsimmons or that clive palmer fkwit ever would....
...the chineese are coming!!!! Vote1 Australia party

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lets just say a single Sydney club does have $6m from sponsors, If all 9 have that we are talking $50m brought into the game via Sydney

Throw in the assets too and only an idiot would say it isn't strong
Like anything, at some point it can become so diluted it loses its value. Yeh the totals good, but spread it too thin and it isnt helping, looking at what we can see at moment the corporate support for nine clubs is too thin. You either need to grow the corporate support or not spread it so thinly.

Colk

First Grade
Of course it does... if it has the word cronulla or manly in it, this f**kwit goes to town about how shit they are... oh but if it st george or roosters then don't worry about it... fact is the dribbler cheerypicks everything to suit his narritave of rationalisation and has a massive hard on for the sharks atm... even tho sharks are on a massive winfall now, steady sponsors, 2nd largest junior base and growing largely into the bay area, where Stgeorge has lacked in its comp... this fkwit from bumfk logan would have shat on souths a decade ago, yet they have become a powerhouse club now.. his shortsighted over analytical view with data, spewing out opinions worse than peter fitzsimmons or that clive palmer fkwit ever would....
...the chineese are coming!!!! Vote1 Australia party

Haha the Chinese are coming apparently. They want to go through the effort of invading a large country with a small decentralised population when they can just get what they want from us through trade

Wb1234

Referee
Haha the Chinese are coming apparently. They want to go through the effort of invading a large country with a small decentralised population when they can just get what they want from us through trade
The Chinese already own much of Australia anyway

Colk

First Grade