What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What those advocating afl style expansion don't want u to know

MugaB

Coach
Well that’s a furphy but overseas interests do yes. For example, American or British interests invest a lot more in Australia than China.

Nevertheless, Australia is so inconsequential to China that the idea of an invasion is ludicrous.
Invasion? My doctor, dentist, masseuse, my co workers, they are all chinese... whats to invade, they all love this country

Colk

First Grade
Invasion? My doctor, dentist, masseuse, my co workers, they are all chinese... whats to invade, they all love this country

I was just making a joke about the Clive Palmers and the Pauline Hansons of the world and others of that ilk

MugaB

Coach
I was just making a joke about the Clive Palmers and the Pauline Hansons of the world and others of that ilk
Yep... i agree but i'm also not joking, they love it here... nobody wants invasion especially not these guys.. they come from a communist run country... aus is dream

Iamback

Coach
Like anything, at some point it can become so diluted it loses its value. Yeh the totals good, but spread it too thin and it isnt helping, looking at what we can see at moment the corporate support for nine clubs is too thin. You either need to grow the corporate support or not spread it so thinly.

Isn't that what the hundreds of millions assets that clubs own comes in handy?

Take the $88m development Panthers are building, That can always be flogged off in a fire sale

Colk

First Grade
Yep... i agree but i'm also not joking, they love it here... nobody wants invasion especially not these guys.. they come from a communist run country... aus is dream

Yeah if you ever go to China, it is an experience. Interesting from a cultural viewpoint but for example you see guards with machine guns patrolling train stations with customs.

Definitely don’t blame those living in say Beijing and experiencing that every day from moving.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Isn't that what the hundreds of millions assets that clubs own comes in handy?

Take the $88m development Panthers are building, That can always be flogged off in a fire sale
It is and as long as people keep feeding pokies most clubs will be just ok. At least they are now starting to use their I’ll gotten gains to diversify their asset bases.
But that’s not the point under discussion, which is scale of corporate support for the game in sydney and the fact that at the moment there are too many mouths and not enough silver spoons And this is leading the nrl to having to keep upping the club grant to keep them sustainable.

Of course it does... if it has the word cronulla or manly in it, this f**kwit goes to town about how shit they are... oh but if it st george or roosters then don't worry about it... fact is the dribbler cheerypicks everything to suit his narritave of rationalisation and has a massive hard on for the sharks atm... even tho sharks are on a massive winfall now, steady sponsors, 2nd largest junior base and growing largely into the bay area, where Stgeorge has lacked in its comp... this fkwit from bumfk logan would have shat on souths a decade ago, yet they have become a powerhouse club now.. his shortsighted over analytical view with data, spewing out opinions worse than peter fitzsimmons or that clive palmer fkwit ever would....
...the chineese are coming!!!! Vote1 Australia party
Give the Chinese up to certain point, let's say Townsville.
Then it will be Get Rid of The Cows.
There's a spot for The Bengal Easts, everyone is happy!

Iamback

Coach
It is and as long as people keep feeding pokies most clubs will be just ok. At least they are now starting to use their I’ll gotten gains to diversify their asset bases.
But that’s not the point under discussion, which is scale of corporate support for the game in sydney and the fact that at the moment there are too many mouths and not enough silver spoons And this is leading the nrl to having to keep upping the club grant to keep them sustainable.

The agreement is 130% of the cap, that goes up and guess what so does the grant

As for the sponsorship, We have been telling people like you that Sydney is a rich city

Reflector

Juniors
The argument on this board by NSWRL troglodytes such as yourself for having nine clubs in Sydney and none in Adelaide and Perth is they have a massive national profile in Australia's richest city.

Broncos got $12.7m last year and Dolphins will get $10m next year. There are people on here who think Brisbane doesn't have enough commerce to support a second side. 😂

If that's the case then all nine Sydney clubs should be making more than $15m in sponsorship, yeah?

The fact they don't get anywhere close to the Cowboys' $8.9m in 2021 means the idiots who carry on about how well supported and rich the Sydney clubs are don't know shit.
Like who?

Most of Cronulla's supporter base is from the Sutherland Shire. Probably less than 2% of their supporters have no connection to Sutherland, but they're not attending games due to the tyranny of distance.

If the club has so much support outside of Sutherland then why not relocate them to Adelaide or Perth?

Their Sydney-based fans will still have plenty of opportunities to see then in Sydney.

At the very least the club could become the Sydney Sharks or Southern Sydney Sharks an play all of its home games at the SFS. The fact its fans throw a tantrum whenever this is suggested proves they don't have much of a supporter base outside of Sutherland.
Still got a few pages to catch up but this post is an actual thing of beauty. I reckon by the time you've walked from your bed to the dunny for your morning piss the sharks have already ruined your day just by existing.

Love your work buddy xx

Except there ain't!

Ch9 TV ratings for games not involving the Queensland teams and Melbourne are really poor in Brisbane. This year's all-Sydney GF was a flop in Brisbane.
Hey buddy, me again. This talk of grand final ratings just made me remember the highest viewed grand final this century was 2016, must have been a lot of Melbourne fans watching on i guess as the stadium was and I'll be conservative in my estimate here, 95% full of Sharks supporters.

Love you buddy ❤️

footy75

Bench
It is pretty simple. There are a number of better competitions overseas. The same would happen to the NRL under the same circumstances.

Yeah I get it EPL is the comp. Just amazes me that participation goes up so rapidly while interest and crowds go down. You would think it would at least stay same or build even if at a slow rate.

I remember a time when the A-League was very healthy. It was a good standard too.
Now more kids play than ever before and it seems to have less and less interest.

Hopefully for the sake of soccer here Football Australia can somehow rectify it.

Colk

First Grade
Yeah I get it EPL is the comp. Just amazes me that participation goes up so rapidly while interest and crowds go down. You would think it would at least stay same or build even if at a slow rate.

I remember a time when the A-League was very healthy. It was a good standard too.
Now more kids play than ever before and it seems to have less and less interest.

Hopefully for the sake of soccer here Football Australia can somehow rectify it.

It’s interesting isn’t it.

I think they have made some decisions which has made it worst.

1. Going to Paramount now when the competition has little traction was a bad one. For people who were casual viewers like myself the more games you can make accessible to us, the more chance I’m going to sit down to watch.

2. They have probably expanded too quickly. I get the strategy with the teams but maybe they just had to wait to make sure the interest was there first.

3. They probably need to go back to the marquee signing era. Nani is a good one for Melbourne Victory but the comp needs more of those players coming down. Players who people have seen in big European comps will make people tune in.

I think they have lost the casual viewer and they are quite important.

MugaB

Coach
Hey buddy, me again. This talk of grand final ratings just made me remember the highest viewed grand final this century was 2016, must have been a lot of Melbourne fans watching on i guess as the stadium was and I'll be conservative in my estimate here, 95% full of Sharks supporters.

Love you buddy ❤️
James Maloney, a remarkable country boy, went and played for the UP UPs and they win their 1st ever GF, his father was a captain/coach at a country club, growing up watchin your dad play RL, imagine saying you're not important as a tv viewer...

James Maloney, a remarkable country boy, went and played for the UP UPs and they win their 1st ever GF, his father was a captain/coach at a country club, growing up watchin your dad play RL, imagine saying you're not important as a tv viewer...
The only important numbers are how many people from far north qld tune in for grand finals. The numbers don't lie

1. Going to Paramount now when the competition has little traction was a bad one. For people who were casual viewers like myself the more games you can make accessible to us, the more chance I’m going to sit down to watch.

2. They have probably expanded too quickly. I get the strategy with the teams but maybe they just had to wait to make sure the interest was there first.

3. They probably need to go back to the marquee signing era. Nani is a good one for Melbourne Victory but the comp needs more of those players coming down. Players who people have seen in big European comps will make people tune in.

It's a funny one, i watch a lot of premier league and used to watch spanish, italian games a fair bit before life got in the way of spending time on the lounge watching games at all hours haha. But have never had any interest in the A League and couldn't give a stuff about the national side these days either, couldn't even give you a reason why that is either and most if not all people i know that follow the sport are the same.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The agreement is 130% of the cap, that goes up and guess what so does the grant

As for the sponsorship, We have been telling people like you that Sydney is a rich city
Well it was, caps gone down during covid $1mill and grant went up $2.5mill.

Players eba currently being re-negotiated then the clubs will have their begging bowls out and we’ll see where it all ends up.

not denying sydney rich but it’s not translating sponsors for Sydney clubs clearly.

Well it was, caps gone down during covid $1mill and grant went up $2.5mill.

Players eba currently being re-negotiated then the clubs will have their begging bowls out and we’ll see where it all ends up.

not denying sydney rich but it’s not translating sponsors for Sydney clubs clearly.
@Iamback is unable to stay on track. He makes up shit and derails the topic as soon as he's been proven wrong.

The fact that the nine clubs from Australia's wealthiest city are unable to generate much money from their football operations proves Sydney cannot support so many teams, yet there are idiots on here who'll argue until they're blue in the face that all clubs are necessary. Some of them have convinced themselves that the Sydney clubs are th richest. Arguing with them is like trying to convince a nutcase that they need help.

Canard

Immortal

They didn't have a decision to make though did they? They just had to accept any offer.

Latest posts