What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off season 2022-23

Blair

Coach
I'm in the minority but I hate boxing with a passion. UFC even more so. A sport where it is the explicit aim to cause a brain injury on someone, where it's celebrated in fact - the more dramatic, the better.
Me too. I'm a 20th Century boxing fan. I really did love it. In 1999 I stopped, Lewis v Holyfield II was my last hurrah. Two great champions and a fitting end.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
My Parra mole told me this morning that 'all clubs particulary worry at this time of year about young players that don't have a family to go home to'. It's trouble waiting to happen.

I also asked whether Papali'i was off to the Tigers and he said yes. He added he won't be missed due to being too slow, with no lateral movement, missing 12 crucial tackles in the GF after being targeted by Penrith. Parra want changes next year, pace and mobility are key elements they need.
If he was staying I imagine they’d be singing off a completely different song sheet. Dally M 2nd rower of the year and a big focal point of their attack. Sure he missed 11 tackles in the GF, he also made 48

Makes me more confident they’ll fall back into oblivion if that’s the thinking inside the place

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Bloody hell. knew the bloke was busted but not that busted.
It’s amazing what some of these blokes put themselves through. Understandable now to read all that and understand why Fifitas running style changed so much

Watmough was another that absolutely destroyed his body, it was absolutely unbelievable that Parra signed him to 4 year, 2.4 mil deal after playing 280+ games in his style, he played 4 and they had to pay him the full amount

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If he was staying I imagine they’d be singing off a completely different song sheet. Dally M 2nd rower of the year and a big focal point of their attack. Sure he missed 11 tackles in the GF, he also made 48

Makes me more confident they’ll fall back into oblivion if that’s the thinking inside the place
Agreed. I know it's not under the intensity of a GF, but they beat Penrith twice (and 3 out of 4 times over last two regular seasons). And Papalii was a huge part of that. Isaiah was playing his first GF, and like the rest around him maybe got overawed a bit. Trying to say they're throwing their game style out of the window in search of something else is a disaster waiting to happen

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Rumour - Knights are trying to get Reuben Garrick to ask for an early release from his Manly deal

Plan being Garrick at 1 and Ponga at 6, with their hope to have Brooks at 7

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Will Ponga (more likely Ponga Sr) throw his toys?
You’d think they’d have consulted him about it. With his concussion issues I think it is madness to park him in the front line with big second rowers charging at him for 80mins. You could argue that he hasn’t mastered fullback consistently at NRL level so why would he succeed at 6 ? If it goes pear shaped and he goes back to 1, then you’ve got 550-600k on the wing with Garrick

Apparently Garrick has voiced his desire to get off the wing. Manly CEO publicly stating they’ve offered him a very attractive 4 year deal with a promised move to the centre’s

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Interesting yarn. Sloan and Sullivan desperate to get out of the Dragons and away from Griffen, have reportedly been told to cool their jets and Griffen won’t be there in 2024

JJ

Immortal
You’d think they’d have consulted him about it. With his concussion issues I think it is madness to park him in the front line with big second rowers charging at him for 80mins. You could argue that he hasn’t mastered fullback consistently at NRL level so why would he succeed at 6 ? If it goes pear shaped and he goes back to 1, then you’ve got 550-600k on the wing with Garrick

Apparently Garrick has voiced his desire to get off the wing. Manly CEO publicly stating they’ve offered him a very attractive 4 year deal with a promised move to the centre’s
Ponga is at an interesting point - does he end up like Johnson, or does he end up more like Lockyer... you'd have thought he can offer plenty from fullback with the right structure and game plan... with the likes of Teddy and Turbo it's not like fullbacks play second fiddle to anyone

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Ponga is at an interesting point - does he end up like Johnson, or does he end up more like Lockyer... you'd have thought he can offer plenty from fullback with the right structure and game plan... with the likes of Teddy and Turbo it's not like fullbacks play second fiddle to anyone
Think the ball is probably in Kalyn’s court there, all comes down to attitude, and he is about to reach the point where he grows up and matures like Mitchell seems to have done a touch this year, or go down the Johnson path of deflecting and coasting

Reactions: JJ

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Think the ball is probably in Kalyn’s court there, all comes down to attitude, and he is about to reach the point where he grows up and matures like Mitchell seems to have done a touch this year, or go down the Johnson path of deflecting and coasting
He needs a club with a good mentoring structure beyond his dad IMO. I don’t think Newcastle is it.
to compare him to Johnson again
Johnson had a meteoric rise under the Cleary/Ackland firm, then stagnated through the Bluey-Iro-Elliot-McFadden-Kearney circus before actually progressing at Cronulla (albeit hampered by injury) then back to the Warriors and same old crap.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Craig Young steps down from his role as Dragons chairman, after copping heat for using the club letterhead to give a reference for Brett Finch saying what a great bloke he is, the charges against Finch are absolutely vile and he deserves everything that he gets

Garrick agrees to 4 year Manly extension

Gildart released from the Tigers to join the Dolphins

Reactions: JJ

Blair

Coach
Craig Young steps down from his role as Dragons chairman, after copping heat for using the club letterhead to give a reference for Brett Finch saying what a great bloke he is, the charges against Finch are absolutely vile and he deserves everything that he gets...
From an article I've just read about the Finch case:

'Finch won a premiership with Melbourne Storm in 2009'.

I feel a bit petty pointing out that: no he didn't!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Craig Young steps down from his role as Dragons chairman, after copping heat for using the club letterhead to give a reference for Brett Finch saying what a great bloke he is, the charges against Finch are absolutely vile and he deserves everything that he gets

Garrick agrees to 4 year Manly extension

Gildart released from the Tigers to join the Dolphins
One of the greatest attempts at pulling wool over people's eyes of all time...I went on a child sex line to try and get drugs. Yeah, OK pal. And I go to the bottle shop for bread and milk.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
One of the greatest attempts at pulling wool over people's eyes of all time...I went on a child sex line to try and get drugs. Yeah, OK pal. And I go to the bottle shop for bread and milk.
The blokes been a mess for years, real shame as he had the ability for a decent media career but blew it on both networks and has just continued to plumb new depths