What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW TV ratings killing AFLW

Homo man69

Juniors
Lol at all the AFLW fans having melt downs over Steve Price's comments on The Project last night. They keep saying the game just needs more time. There doing everything they can to take over the NRLW eg disney doco but people are not going to watch if the standard is pathetic

10$ Ferret

Staff member
There are a lot of RL people blowing up over Price's comments as well.
Unfortunately his way of saying things cuts people and even sadder is that he is right and people are not acknowledging that the process the AFL has decided to take is going to give you poor standard games.
There is no point in people burying their head in the sand simply because you "can't" criticise the women's game.

Nuke

Staff member
Forgive the ignorance, what what was the gist of what Price said?

I don't tend to watch tv barely at all.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Forgive the ignorance, what what was the gist of what Price said?

I don't tend to watch tv barely at all.

He basically said it was not an elite sport, the scores were too low and schoolboy ALF was better quality

TheRam

Coach
Abdo was on the CH9 Sunday Footy Show today and waxed lyrical about the deal they have done with Ch9 to show all NRLW games free and live in primetime. Which is obviously a great thing for the game. He also said that the salary cap for the girls is going to go from around $350K to $1.5m during the duration of the deal. Which to me means that they have struck up some kind of separate deal, right?

Does anyone know how much the NRLW is getting in TV rights and what its duration is?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Abdo was on the CH9 Sunday Footy Show today and waxed lyrical about the deal they have done with Ch9 to show all NRLW games free and live in primetime. Which is obviously a great thing for the game. He also said that the salary cap for the girls is going to go from around $350K to $1.5m during the duration of the deal. Which to me means that they have struck up some kind of separate deal, right?

Does anyone know how much the NRLW is getting in TV rights and what its duration is?
I think that we are being a little mislead with this `new deal`, " free and live in prime time" only means they are being streamed free on 9Now. In fact there are only 3 games - one in the first round and one each from the last two regular season rounds - being shown on Nine`s main FTA channels. And as we know it is much less likely that casuals will tune in if they have to go looking on streaming platforms.
It also annoys me no end because I`d be very surprised if the NRLW games don`t rate more that the god-awful super rugby that 9 shows every week on its` FTA channel.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
I think that we are being a little mislead with this `new deal`, " free and live in prime time" only means they are being streamed free on 9Now. In fact there are only 3 games - one in the first round and one each from the last two regular season rounds - being shown on Nine`s main FTA channels. And as we know it is much less likely that casuals will tune in if they have to go looking on streaming platforms.
It also annoys me no end because I`d be very surprised if the NRLW games don`t rate more that the god-awful super rugby that 9 shows every week on its` FTA channel.

How disappointing. Do you know if we are being paid for the NRLW rights and if so how much?

Also I'm sure Fox are going to televise all the NRLW games right?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
How disappointing. Do you know if we are being paid for the NRLW rights and if so how much?

Also I'm sure Fox are going to televise all the NRLW games right?
I doubt it very, very much if any money has changed hands. I suspect the deal is that it just won`t cost the NRL anything to have all the women`s games televised in some form or other.

TheRam

Coach
I doubt it very, very much if any money has changed hands. I suspect the deal is that it just won`t cost the NRL anything to have all the women`s games televised in some form or other.

If true that is very disappointing. I mean why shouldn't the Broadcasters have to pay something. They are going to get plenty of eyeballs watch for sure. Why are the getting a free ride? We never seem to get a leg up when it comes to the rights deals.

Well I hope it does even better then expected and they are forced to cough up something.

Do the AFLW get anything? If they don't that would be understandable, that version of their rot is so bad it would render even the sharpest of minds feeble and useless. Dementia by halftime.

Brick Tamland

Juniors

Not sure where you're getting that from - this article suggests 45 of the 48 games will be on ch 9's main channel:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...propels-womens-sport-towards-equal-prominence

... This is what makes broadcast deals such as the NRLW’s so important. Of the 48 games that will be shown, 45 of those will be on Nine’s main channel, leading to more casual viewers finding the match, a higher likelihood that it may be switched on in a crowded pub and providing an incentive for Nine to invest in the broadcast product, which will make it more appealing to those who tune in for the first time. While the use of streaming services continues to rise, with 68% of Australians subscribed to at least one, the urgency and time-specific nature of sport means these older-style broadcast deals still hold great importance...

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Not sure where you're getting that from - this article suggests 45 of the 48 games will be on ch 9's main channel:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...propels-womens-sport-towards-equal-prominence
I sincerely hope that you are right but the initial announcement by Nine and the NRL is extremely vague around the definition of `live and free` with the `free` aspect only meaning you can stream it for free on 9 Now.
But as I said, there will be three definitely on their linear option: one game from the first round and one each from the last two rounds, and this kind of makes sense because it is when they`d think they can draw the largest viewership.
I think the above correspondent has fallen into the same trap as many when reading the initial announcement.

Brick Tamland

Juniors
I sincerely hope that you are right but the initial announcement by Nine and the NRL is extremely vague around the definition of `live and free` with the `free` aspect only meaning you can stream it for free on 9 Now.
But as I said, there will be three definitely on their linear option: one game from the first round and one each from the last two rounds, and this kind of makes sense because it is when they`d think they can draw the largest viewership.
I think the above correspondent has fallen into the same trap as many when reading the initial announcement.
The NRL website lists the tv coverage for each game in each rd.

Each game in every round has ch 9, 9 now, kayo and foxtel.

Some curious and possibly revealing entries in Sunday's Fox ratings -

AFLW Pre Game 36k
AFLW Post Game 36k
AFLW Fremantle v West Coast 25k
AFLW Sydney v GWS 24k

Which means 11 or 12k viewers watched the pre-game show, then switched off the game, then came back for the post-game show.

siv

First Grade
Anyone have the viewers that used to watch NSW Cup on Fox & Ch9

I suspect that many just turn on early before a NRL game, as lower grades aren't being broadcast in those timeslots anymore

Seems to be same tactic they used in crowd numbers

I think the interesting numbers would be NRLW games when NRL game was on

TheRam

Coach
Some curious and possibly revealing entries in Sunday's Fox ratings -

AFLW Pre Game 36k
AFLW Post Game 36k
AFLW Fremantle v West Coast 25k
AFLW Sydney v GWS 24k

Which means 11 or 12k viewers watched the pre-game show, then switched off the game, then came back for the post-game show.

Anyone have the NRLW ratings figures please?

TheRam

Coach
Is this true? If so they still seem to be blitzing us and their attendance figures are also very impressive too. Better then anything the NRLW has thus far produced.

According to the AFL’s presentation, TV audiences for AFLW had fallen from an average of 180,000 per match in the competition’s first season (2017) to just over 53,000 for season seven.

Is this true? If so they still seem to be blitzing us and their attendance figures are also very impressive too. Better then anything the NRLW has thus far produced.

According to the AFL’s presentation, TV audiences for AFLW had fallen from an average of 180,000 per match in the competition’s first season (2017) to just over 53,000 for season seven.

It may well be because the AFLW and the AFL has teams in both competitions with similar length of competitions, where as there are only 8 teams currently in the NRLW and they only play a 9 round regular season.

I've watched a little AFLW and the skill disparity is quite marked between teams. Some look crisp and professional, whilst many of the teams play is so slow and plodding in nature it looks like what you'd expect/see in games down in kids games.

By co0mparison, whilst NRLW matches are a bit slower than NRL games pace wise, the skill levels in my opinion is comparatively higher than in the AFLW.

Latest posts