What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

Perth Red

Post Whore
West Coast Eagles - the most profitable sports club in Australia
John Stensholt Former Rich Editor
Mar 11, 2018 – 11.45pm
West Coast Eagles are the most profitable sports club in Australia, an analysis of the financial reports of the teams in the big codes reveals.​
The financial accounts the club recently lodged with the corporate regulator for the year to October 2017 show the club Eagles made an operating surplus of almost $5.4 million last year from $64 million revenue.​
Though that surplus was down from $6 million in the previous year, the Eagles balance sheet is surely the strongest in the AFL and across any sports code.​
The only AFL club to get near the Eagles in the profit stakes was Essendon. The Bombers recorded a profit of slightly more than $5 million but their revenue included about $3.97 million in donations from supporters via the Australian Sports Foundation.​
AFL clubs combined for $24.5 million from slightly more than $1 billion revenue, the annual reports show. The club profits included a $5.27 million profit for St Kilda, though that included $8 million in revenue for its Moorabbin training ground revamp.​
Most NRL clubs recorded losses last year, with the notable exception of the ASX-listed Brisbane Broncos, which made a $2.75 million net profit from $46.5 million revenue. In rugby union, the ACT Brumbies made a small $14,361 profit in 2017 and the Queensland Reds a $22,263 surplus.​
Market control
The financial statements of the 18 AFL clubs reveal all sorts of interesting morsels, such as 2017 grand final winner Richmond having a cash balance of almost $10 million and derived $8.6 million from its Aligned Leisure community health and fitness centre management business.​
Meanwhile, the combined $48 million the GWS Giants and Gold Coast Suns received in AFL distributions last year is almost equal the $50 million administrators say having the two expansion teams in the competition is worth in additional broadcast revenue annually.​
Operating in a football-mad market in Perth, and with only cross-town rivals Fremantle to compete with locally, is clearly an advantage for West Coast. But the club still has made big profits year after year while paying $137 million in the West Australian Football Commission in dividends and rent since being founded in 1987.​
So strong has the financial performance of the Eagles been that the club has accumulated $21.8 million in cash on its balance sheet and another $42 million of fixed interest and equity investments.​
The twist compared with most other clubs, though, is that the Eagles are about to spend a chunk of their money on the big move into their new training and administration facilities this time next year.​
West Coast is shifting its headquarters to a $61.5 new facility at Lathlain Park, seven kilometres south-east of the Perth CBD, which will include training facilities, a community hub and space for the Wirrpanda Foundation, founded by former Eagles player David Wirrpanda, and the local Perth football club.​
Long-term security
Eagles chief executive Trevor Nisbett says the club is contributing $35 million to the project, believed to be the biggest spend by a sports club given many clubs' facilities are usually built with government money in conjunction with community and other sports organisations.​
"It's a project that we've probably been working on for a good 20 years," Nisbett says. "It will certainly secure the club for the long term and we're very grateful for state and federal government and other support for it. So the next thing for us will be looking for some support of the benefactors out there that are supporters of the club."​
The Eagles have launched a fundraising campaign for about $8 million via the sports foundation, donations for which are tax-deductible. Nisbett believes raising the sum will ensure the Eagles are "future-proofed" in a financial sense after their $35 million Lathlain spend.​
In the nearer term, though, is the move this season to the new 60,000 capacity Perth Stadium (Optus has the naming rights to the venue) along with Fremantle.​
An agreement for the move was only struck in October and protracted negotiations with the state government and the venue operators.​
The Eagles have about 50,000 seated members at the stadium and there is another 1385 stadium members aligned with the club, leaving about 8000 tickets for general sale each home game Nisbet says.​
"It's an exciting period for our members, corporate supporters and sponsors and the like. But it's been frustrating and we're still getting in touch with prospective members. We didn't have much time to be organised and we're still dealing with things such as restricted views in some seats. But it should end up being significantly better off there in the future."​
That means, according to Nisbett, the Eagles should be – after a likely dip this season due to some up-front moving costs – at least no worse off from the move. Which should mean those huge profits continue to flow to the Eagles for many years to come yet.​
John Stensholt is a former editor of the BRW Rich 200 and Young Rich Lists.
And that was when they were at subi, now they are at optus they earn even more!
2019 they had $88mill revenue from football operations and made an $8mill profit after giving the grassroots $1.8mill. $100mill in net assets. all without pokies.

Canard

Immortal
No difference between manly and Redcliffe, but does the comp need another small club like manly?

parra are a big club as they have a large population within a 20km of a state of the art stadium that fans can easily get to from right around that radius.

souths are like Collingwood. Over a century people from their traditional area have spread out right across the city and generations of fans have been born and moved around. If souths or Collingwood were admitted to their comps this season calling themselves that would see them appeal to a very small fanbase.

even if dolphins call themselves Moreton bay dolphins to try and connect with the 500k people,in that region Redcliffe is 40km from the edge of that area and Suncorp is 40km from redcliffe region of that area. There in may lay the problem if they don’t appeal to people within a 25km radius of suncorp. Time will tell. There may well be tens of thousand of active rl fans around Suncorp waiting for a team, any team. We shall see.

Souths were a f**king basketcase until there Private sale,what makes them popular is on field success coupled with excellent branding and marketing.

With the Dolphins location, How is Fremantle any different? Or Port Adelaide for that matter?

It's really bizarre that you (and others) have developed a strict criteria about where any new expansion club can be geographically located and named.

It's got to be with 25km of the city centre or otherwise it's a failure. Do you think that the only people that attend and support Broncos matches are confined to this area??

The Dolphins have been a juggernaut in the BRL for decades, and have had far more support and success then Easts.

They are instantly my 2nd team because of the shit takes LU consistently has about them.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Easts location would of hurt them, You'd be fighting for corporates, Members with the Other Brisbane sporting teams. Basing themselves just outside in a growth corridor helps them get in new money.

Pneuma

First Grade
And that was when they were at subi, now they are at optus they earn even more!
2019 they had $88mill revenue from football operations and made an $8mill profit after giving the grassroots $1.8mill. $100mill in net assets. all without pokies.
This is so exciting. You seem to really love afl. Do you have an NRL team there? What are they called? The Perth Nuffies?

Dragonwest

Juniors
This is so exciting. You seem to really love afl. Do you have an NRL team there? What are they called? The Perth Nuffies?

Seriously I get it, some people don't like Perth Red's point of view. However, the expansion section of this forum has been completely ruined, not by him, but the 10 other blokes piling on with crap comments like this destroying any reasonable discussion on the threads. You have to wade through pages of crap to get any reasonable link or commentary.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
L
Souths were a f**king basketcase until there Private sale,what makes them popular is on field success coupled with excellent branding and marketing.

With the Dolphins location, How is Fremantle any different? Or Port Adelaide for that matter?

It's really bizarre that you (and others) have developed a strict criteria about where any new expansion club can be geographically located and named.

It's got to be with 25km of the city centre or otherwise it's a failure. Do you think that the only people that attend and support Broncos matches are confined to this area??

The Dolphins have been a juggernaut in the BRL for decades, and have had far more support and success then Easts.

They are instantly my 2nd team because of the shit takes LU consistently has about them.

You could probably throw the Roosters in here as well as they were on the verge of merging in 1998 now they are a powerhouse.

Pneuma

First Grade
Seriously I get it, some people don't like Perth Red's point of view. However, the expansion section of this forum has been completely ruined, not by him, but the 10 other blokes piling on with crap comments like this destroying any reasonable discussion on the threads. You have to wade through pages of crap to get any reasonable link or commentary.
You are very generous. This bloke has been whinging endlessly about the same topics for years. Tell me he doesn’t ruin the crowds threads every year? Tell me doesn’t hate Sydney Clubs. Tell me he doesn’t hate V’landys. And tell me he Doesn’t hate pokies and horse racing for the reason he hates Sydney clubs and V’landys. He ruins these threads mate.

Wb1234

Referee
He’s just repeating the same bs he’s been saying for 20 years

and turned most of the forum against a Perth nrl team with his death riding of the game

mongoose

Coach

my only issue with the Dolphins is that I think any new Brisbane club should be aiming for 25k+ crowd average. A team planning to play games in such a limited suburban venue is a waste of time. Brisbane is a big city with almost 2.5 million people, why wouldn't you aim to be the biggest club you could possibly be?

Pneuma

First Grade
He’s just repeating the same bs he’s been saying for 20 years

and turned most of the forum against a Perth nrl team with his death riding of the game
Worst thing is we all think a Perth team is a good idea. We are just so sick of his whinging he’s turned us all off it.

Pneuma

First Grade
my only issue with the Dolphins is that I think any new Brisbane club should be aiming for 25k+ crowd average. A team planning to play games in such a limited suburban venue is a waste of time. Brisbane is a big city with almost 2.5 million people, why wouldn't you aim to be the biggest club you could possibly be?
Agree with all of this. A new Brisbane must be aiming for regular big crowds and at least 25000 a game. And this should be in its first season when all of the momentum is there..

Iamback

Coach

Where would the members and corporate come from if they were solely an inner Brisbane team?

Canard

Immortal
I'd be surprised if they play more then a couple of games at Redcliffe (if at all) after the first season.

But Yes, I'm a firm supporter of all Brisbane games being at Lang Park

Wb1234

Referee
Worst thing is we all think a Perth team is a good idea. We are just so sick of his whinging he’s turned us all off it.
His whole mantra that we have to copy afl is wrong

each sports has its strength and weaknesses

rugby league would only be a wateredown
Version of afl and he seems happy with that

rugby leagues strengths are the eastern seaboard, png and nz

Perth will only ever be a nieche market and a Perth club will do very little overall to make the game bigger

nz2 or png offer way more benefits imo but it is what it is

adelaide offer nothing

next he will want a team in Tasmania too because you know …. Afl

Pneuma

First Grade

Perth will only ever be a nieche market and a Perth club will do very little overall to make the game bigger

adelaide offer nothing

None of this logic will ever stop him whinging about it

Canard

Immortal

adelaide offer nothing

None of this logic will ever stop him whinging about it

None of this is logic.

It's either trolling or insular thinking.

Expanding our game into the largest city in Australia that we currently don't have a team is a niche to be pursued.

The Storm gets crowds and members as good as most of the NRL, so I'll take niche for a chance to expose the game to a larger market.

Perth Red

Post Whore
None of this is logic.

It's either trolling or insular thinking.

Expanding our game into the largest city in Australia that we currently don't have a team is a niche to be pursued.

The Storm gets crowds and members as good as most of the NRL, so I'll take niche for a chance to expose the game to a larger market.
RL in Perth has always been stronger than in Melbourne. No reason a well run Perth club over the next 20 years cant be as big or bigger than the Storm have become. But yeh its just a niche of 2.2 million and growing with no value add lol.

Latest posts