What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Wb1234

Referee
It’s interesting the sad man from Perth derided the value of regional ratings despite the fact a major network has said the opposite. He seems to enjoy playing a double game. We clearly outrated our major opponents last year so he’s complains about the value of the tv rights. This is despite the fact it’s pretty clear the amount of content we provide at this time is less than our opponents, including womens football and our game is played over a shorter time span disallowing the level of advertising our opponent can leverage. His agenda is absolutely clear. He’s a misery guts who finds a negative in every positive for the game. With the season approaching prepare for 7 months of endless complaining about crowds. Complaints about small venues. Complaints about modern venues with smaller crowds. Complaints about regional venues. Complaints about grassy hills. It’s a relentless never ending agenda of negativity.
If expanding into afl states would make rugby league go to another level then we would’ve seen it already

One of the most successful clubs of the nrl era are from Melbourne, the biggest afl market. It’s impact on our tv deals has been marginal at best

yet somehow all of a sudden adding two more afl States (much smaller mind you) will transform rugby league like never before

the real growth in terms of tv deals will come from two more brisbane teams and a second nz team

no other bids will add anything much to tv deals other than those 3

Brisbane has the potential to be on par with Sydney with 3 massive clubs who are the strongest the league

Pneuma

First Grade
If expanding into afl states would make rugby league go to another level then we would’ve seen it already

One of the most successful clubs of the nrl era are from Melbourne, the biggest afl market. It’s impact on our tv deals has been marginal at best

yet somehow all of a sudden adding two more afl States (much smaller mind you) will transform rugby league like never before

the real growth in terms of tv deals will come from two more brisbane teams and a second nz team

no other bids will add anything much to tv deals other than those 3

Brisbane has the potential to be on par with Sydney with 3 massive clubs who are the strongest the league
You know I don’t totally agree with this. Melbourne give our game enormous brand recognition. Good crowds, excellent ratings, excellent culture imho, and a foothold in an important market. I support a Perth team because the state is going to grow population and wealth wise exponentially. Adelaide not for a decade. NZ2 yes as well as PNG. Brisbane whatever.

Wb1234

Referee
You know I don’t totally agree with this. Melbourne give our game enormous brand recognition. Good crowds, excellent ratings, excellent culture imho, and a foothold in an important market. I support a Perth team because the state is going to grow population and wealth wise exponentially. Adelaide not for a decade. NZ2 yes as well as PNG. Brisbane whatever.
I’m talking about something tv companies value

they don’t mind the storm but it’s nothing like the dolphins for example

dolphins and the south Queensland jets will be very valuable for future tv deals

Pneuma

First Grade
I’m talking about something tv companies value

they don’t mind the storm but it’s nothing like the dolphins for example

dolphins and the south Queensland jets will be very valuable for future tv deals
Not sure about that. Tv companies in Australia like one town teams with over 5 million people and so do sponsors. Playing down Melbourne’s success doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. But we’ve discussed this before and won’t agree on this one.

Wb1234

Referee
Not sure about that. Tv companies in Australia like one town teams with over 5 million people and so do sponsors. Playing down Melbourne’s success doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. But we’ve discussed this before and won’t agree on this one.
4.9 million of them are afl fans

who don’t watch the game regularly on tv

just like the swans in Sydney

Brisbane could have a live game with a beisbane side thur Friday and Sunday and be a ratings winner for nine

Pneuma

First Grade
4.9 million of them are afl fans

who don’t watch the game regularly on tv

just like the swans in Sydney

Brisbane could have a live game with a beisbane side thur Friday and Sunday and be a ratings winner for nine
You keep basing your viewing figure on fta. That is a big mistake when half our audience is watching on fox and kayo. And if you want play that game based on fta figures 4.75 million people in Sydney don’t watch the game regularly on tv. And I’m wrong too.

Wb1234

Referee
You keep basing your viewing figure on fta. That is a big mistake when half our audience is watching on fox and kayo. And if you want play that game based on fta figures 4.75 million people in Sydney don’t watch the game regularly on tv. And I’m wrong too.
Not a bad argument

but how many people watch form Melbourne ?

if fox is getting a lot of viewers from melb why are our fox tv deals absolutely awful ?

the reality is we get big tv deal due to viewers in nsw qld and nz

Pneuma

First Grade
Not a bad argument

but how many people watch form Melbourne ?

if fox is getting a lot of viewers from melb why are our fox tv deals absolutely awful ?

the reality is we get big tv deal due to viewers in nsw qld and nz
You can’t blame Melbourne for the alleged poor tv deal (which I don’t think is poor).
And saying ‘the reality’ and then expressing an opinion is disingenuous.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha, I nearly fell of my chair :) NRL is the least ambitious sport in the country when it comes to expansion, as can be seen by the fact its the only professional sport without a team in Perth.

There's stats on media spend, and the regional spend is tiny, much much smaller than the population % split. Why? Only TV would know.
'ABS Regional Population Data suggests that despite 36% of the country living outside metro markets, ONLY 10% of national media budgets are spent regionally.'
This article is about advertising specifically in regional markets as distinct from metro markets. So how is it relevant to FTA TV budgets?

Isn't an ad carried by Nine's NRL coverage seen by viewers in both metro and regional areas alike? In NSW, a client will assume the potential audience is 8-9 million not just the 5-6 million who live in Greater Sydney.

If I`m missing something, feel free to enlighten me.

Iamback

Coach
This article is about advertising specifically in regional markets as distinct from metro markets. So how is it relevant to FTA TV budgets?

Isn't an ad carried by Nine's NRL coverage seen by viewers in both metro and regional areas alike? In NSW, a client will assume the potential audience is 8-9 million not just the 5-6 million who live in Greater Sydney.

If I`m missing something, feel free to enlighten me.

No you have it spot on

Pneuma

First Grade
No you have it spot on
Let’s remember Captain Negative had his ass handed to him on a platter by the Wookie some weeks ago! That really pissed him off and he still doesn’t know anything about how the TV ratings work. The only reason he down writes the regional ratings is because the NRL does well there. Same as it ever was.

The_Wookie

Bench

A client wont assume anything. They'll buy specific airtime in specific markets or national rollout across metro/regional markets depending on arrangement.

Sydney ads arent always shown in regional areas unless they are part of the agreement between Nine and WIN for simultaenous broadcasting, most advertisements will be market dependent. Nine will have partners for its NRL broadcasts which get shown with the programming, but most ads in regional areas will be local businesses or companies that have specifically bought regional advertising, like car yards, lawyers, recreational facilities, bakeries and the like.

Under the 2021 affiliation agreement, WIN will pay an affiliation fee of around 50% of its regional advertising revenue to Nine and provide airtime to Nine to allow promotion of Nine’s assets across WIN’s television and radio network.

Nine said it would integrate WIN Television’s sales team into Nine’s in an effort to give advertising partners one point of contact to buy Nine’s TV audiences across metro and regional Australia as the media company further advances its “total television” strategy.

Pneuma

First Grade
A client wont assume anything. They'll buy specific airtime in specific markets or national rollout across metro/regional markets depending on arrangement.

Sydney ads arent always shown in regional areas unless they are part of the agreement between Nine and WIN for simultaenous broadcasting, most advertisements will be market dependent. Nine will have partners for its NRL broadcasts which get shown with the programming, but most ads in regional areas will be local businesses or companies that have specifically bought regional advertising, like car yards, lawyers, recreational facilities, bakeries and the like.

Under the 2021 affiliation agreement, WIN will pay an affiliation fee of around 50% of its regional advertising revenue to Nine and provide airtime to Nine to allow promotion of Nine’s assets across WIN’s television and radio network.

Nine said it would integrate WIN Television’s sales team into Nine’s in an effort to give advertising partners one point of contact to buy Nine’s TV audiences across metro and regional Australia as the media company further advances its “total television” strategy.
I posted an article to that effect somewhere else. It seems to be a slightly volatile changing environment as FTA struggles a bit compared to the past. A more direct marketing approach?

Latest posts