What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If perth is such a can't miss home run for nrl expansion..?!

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah, but a lot of clubs were closed in the "mad scramble for 14 teams" after that split season ended - for various reasons.

The fact that a club was closed does NOT mean it was a failure - in fact, more likely a move out of self-interest, rather than the long term good of the game.
So you want the bears balmain and Steelers back ?

Pippen94

First Grade
Why did the western force collapse after a good start ?

why couldn’t they afford travel costs when toulose had to fund them in super league

I don't support clubs covering cost of travel for opposition, but given reletative commerical strength of NRL compared to superleague it would handicap a team more over there then here. Particularly when ppl talk about the business opportunities in wa

flippikat

Bench
It only “failed” because things were against it in the first place. The Reds had to pay for opposing teams to come to WA, something other clubs didn’t have to do. In the long run wouldn’t be sustainable, so they were already being screwed from the start.
The failure of Super League was their death bell. They picked the wrong side and, as a result of the merger between SL and ARL, were culled to make way for a Melbourne team which was a far more attractive proposition going forward.
The creation of the Storm is an often overlooked factor here - a Melbourne team was being prepared by News Ltd for season 2 of Superleague, only to be carried-over into the newly born NRL's first season - and the prospect of assembling a decent squad from the get-go must've weighted into some decisions in late 1997.

Wb1234

Referee
They didn't collapse. Sanzar decided to trim the comp and the ARU had to cut a team. They chose wrong.
Really ?

with crowds under 5k

doesn’t sound sustainable to me

the reality is other football codes are competing with a juggernaight and one of the biggest football clubs in Australia

Wb1234

Referee
I don't support clubs covering cost of travel for opposition, but given reletative commerical strength of NRL compared to superleague it would handicap a team more over there then here. Particularly when ppl talk about the business opportunities in wa
We are told the cowboys and Perth went to super league because they couldn’t afford the travel costs and news ltd saved them from bankruptcy

In hindsight the arl probably should have only added the warriors and crushers at the time

flippikat

Bench
So you want the bears balmain and Steelers back ?
No, because that would exacerbate the saturation of Sydney.

I do think the rationalization of Sydney was ill-executed however, and if it was better planned & co-ordinated we could EASILY have had some axed clubs (or at least their brands) live on at top level to this day.

Wb1234

Referee
No, because that would exacerbate the saturation of Sydney.

I do think the rationalization of Sydney was ill-executed however, and if it was better planned & co-ordinated we could EASILY have had some axed clubs (or at least their brands) live on at top level to this day.
Yeh that’s the answer I expected

Bukowski

Juniors
Really ?

with crowds under 5k

doesn’t sound sustainable to me

the reality is other football codes are competing with a juggernaight and one of the biggest football clubs in Australia
Well they're back in the comp so....... reality

Pneuma

First Grade
Slightly off point but this is NRL WA’s website and it’s a shocker.
The clubs section has multiple broken links, the weekly draws are almost unreadable, and there don’t appear to be any draws available for 11s and unders comps at all. I tried to use the website last year to keep an eye on their comps but it’s a cluster feck.
It’s almost impossible to work out whether the alleged comps outside of Perth actually exist or not.
Such gross amateurism doesn’t bode well for this body to manage a professional team in the future. The NRL Vic site is a thing of beauty in comparison

flippikat

Bench
Yeh that’s the answer I expected
Sorry to be predictable, but as at 2023 I fail to see the point in bringing back clubs from the dead, in the middle of a city that already has half of the spots in the top tier.

It's not gonna grow the game as much as teams in places that are totally unrepresented at the top level.

Now, if some of the options pondered in the aftermath of the peace settlement came to fruition we could have had a result that preserved more of those clubs, more of those brands - but that time has passed.

It only “failed” because things were against it in the first place. The Reds had to pay for opposing teams to come to WA, something other clubs didn’t have to do. In the long run wouldn’t be sustainable, so they were already being screwed from the start.
The failure of Super League was their death bell. They picked the wrong side and, as a result of the merger between SL and ARL, were culled to make way for a Melbourne team which was a far more attractive proposition going forward.
Cowboys were also slugged with paying the travel and accommodation costs for all teams who travelled to Townsville, including their own when playing away. It cost the Cowboys about $800k in 1995. The Reds were slugged with the same stipulation and probably had to pay as much or more than the Cowboys. It bankrupted both clubs and forced them to sign with News Ltd to survive.

I wouldn't say Super League "failed". It drew better attendances than the ARL and had the superior teams.

Were Brisbane, Auckland, cowboys paying for flights or just reds?!
Superleague merged with ARL. Nobody has ever determined who was winner..
Cowboys had to pay $800k on flying opposition teams to and from Townsville and accommodation. They also had to cover their own flight and accommodation costs when playing away from home.

News Ltd won the war. They got everything they wanted.

Pneuma

First Grade
Cowboys had to pay $800k on flying opposition teams to and from Townsville and accommodation. They also had to cover their own flight and accommodation costs when playing away from home.

News Ltd won the war. They got everything they wanted.
Could you write that a third time in this thread please? Repeating the same points over and over really adds to the quality of the discussion

Latest posts