What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
When was the last fixture....
Origin last year, 2019 Nrl games and nines.
WA govt had bought two games a year for 20-22, then covid hit. We have a double header purchased for this year.
They should stop wasting money on nrl games and give it to nrlwa for grassroots instead. Nrl won’t fund them any decent grassroots money.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Origin last year, 2019 Nrl games and nines.
WA govt had bought two games a year for 20-22, then covid hit. We have a double header purchased for this year.
They should stop wasting money on nrl games and give it to nrlwa for grassroots instead. Nrl won’t fund them any decent grassroots money.
You're learning lol.

Governments buying games makes expansion less likely, not more. Just ask Tasmania and Canberra.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Ipswich has less than 250,000 people. An NRL team from Ipswich would require support from Logan and southern Brisbane to have any hope of drawing enough money from sponsorship, corporate hospitality, membership and ticketing to compete with the other NRL clubs in Queensland.

I don't think I could support a team from Ipswich. The Jets are one of the few BRL teams that I really dislike due to the low brow nature of its fanbase. I've seen Ipswich fans smoking near the Arthur Lovell Stand at Kougari Oval even though it's forbidden. The people who were smoking looked like drug addicts and criminals. I've been to North Ipswich Reserve and seen how abusive the locals are towards outsiders. This is not a group of people that mix well with others and few people would want to associate with them.

The only team that has the capability of attracting support from a wide area is the Brisbane Firehawks.
Definitely agree that Ipswich couldn't go it alone, a South-West team could work though, huge population area

Perth Red

Post Whore
For those still not convinced that news ltd, not the ARLC chose the location for Brisbane2:

Speaking with the Courier Mail, V’Landys tipped his hat to his competitor and their Queensland expansion but vowed that he plans to go to “war” in protecting the rugby league heartland.
“I will give due credit to the AFL,” he said.
“They have quietly kept us warm and fuzzy and held our hand while they are invading us.
“Queensland is our turf and I will protect it. The AFL have been very smart and strategic by moving into the western corridor (of Brisbane), but they can’t sit back and think I will accept that.

So his answer was to put a club in the far north corridor to combat AFLs push into the western corridor? Hmmmmm.

For those still not convinced that news ltd, not the ARLC chose the location for Brisbane2:

Speaking with the Courier Mail, V’Landys tipped his hat to his competitor and their Queensland expansion but vowed that he plans to go to “war” in protecting the rugby league heartland.
“I will give due credit to the AFL,” he said.
“They have quietly kept us warm and fuzzy and held our hand while they are invading us.
“Queensland is our turf and I will protect it. The AFL have been very smart and strategic by moving into the western corridor (of Brisbane), but they can’t sit back and think I will accept that.

So his answer was to put a club in the far north corridor to combat AFLs push into the western corridor? Hmmmmm.

It makes no sense. If he wanted to hit the Lions head on then he would have chosen the Firehawks. They're literally based just a few kilometres from one another and both have their claws in Logan.

Easts Tigers won't want anything to do with a team called "The Jets".

Ipswich Jets don't have the money.

Ipswich doesn't have the population to support a team. Its current population is just 233,302.

Logan has 350,740 residents.

The only way a southern team works is if it incorporates Ipswich, Logan and the suburbs that the Tigers have ties with.

Pippen94

First Grade

Ipswich doesn't have the population to support a team. Its current population is just 233,302.

The only way a southern team works is if it incorporates Ipswich, Logan and the suburbs that the Tigers have ties with.

In 2013 favorite for expansion was western corridor (jets) with concept of stadium at Springfield right between Logan & Ipswich. Site now has afl ground instead.
Second favorite was actually central qld & pundits saying two qld teams so maybe that still happens..

In 2013 favorite for expansion was western corridor (jets) with concept of stadium at Springfield right between Logan & Ipswich. Site now has afl ground instead.
Second favorite was actually central qld & pundits saying two qld teams so maybe that still happens..

It would be great if the dickheads at the ARLC let Wests Ashfield rebrand the Wests Tigers as the Western Sydney Magpies. That way we can bring in the Brisbane Tigers at some stage after the West Coast Pirates have been introduced. Call them the Brisbane Bengals. North Sydney can come back as.rhe Adelaide Bears on the provision the club is based in Adelaide full time.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Ok 'The' Fire-Jet-Hawks it is

Perth Red

Post Whore
South Brisbane Scorpions has a ring!
Reality is until News Ltd Sell the Broncos and f**k off out of the game they wont let another club in that will challenge their Brisbane fiefdom. Hence why they insisted on a far flung northern suburb club for club 17.

Pippen94

First Grade

Jets bid was Ipswich, Logan, Toowoomba..

Perth Red

Post Whore
Last edited:

Latest posts