What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
F1 just the latest example of casting off the old shackles. For years everyone said usa not interested in F1, new company takes over and low and behold America is now falling over itself to host races and selling 400k tickets a race.

Sometimes you just have to have faith in your product and a good sales strategy.
And sometimes you have to consolidate what you have before taking a risk. The game was in a perilous state post super league war.

Melbourne are now secure.
The Queensland heartland shored up.

Now its time to look further afield.

Colk

First Grade
And sometimes you have to consolidate what you have before taking a risk. The game was in a perilous state post super league war.

If they go to PNG that’s probably the ballsiest move of them all.

Interesting how it would or could work.

Perth Red

Post Whore

That was 25 years ago, there’s only so long you can keep using it as an excuse. Games been independent for a decade now.
We’re literally only just this year seeing some movement with another heartland club added. It’s been a long time coming!

Like I said what happens next is the really interesting thing and will give some strong indications of if the game has moved forward at all.
Being hamstrung by Vlandys tv deal which has ripped $100mill plus a year out of nrl revenue isn’t going to help us take some risks though

Colk

First Grade
Melbourne doesn’t have 9 afl teams ?

and no team in north qld Newcastle csnberra Wollongong or Auckland

yep I say so

They have teams in five states as opposed to three. So I would say their footprint is better.

But meh I hate that sport and we should not compare ourselves with it. I don’t even think that they are that well run - better run than us over the last 30 odd years sure but that isn’t hard.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nrl needs to get its koohunas out and add 3 more clubs in next ten years. Perth for next tv deal, land a $550milltv deal and revenue goes up over $100mill, that’s more than enough to then add Adelaide and Wellington or south brisbane. get to a 20 club 5 metro reach nrl on $1bill revenue by 2033 and the game will be heading in the right direction.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
That was 25 years ago, there’s only so long you can keep using it as an excuse. Games been independent for a decade now.
We’re literally only just this year seeing some movement with another heartland club added. It’s been a long time coming!

Like I said what happens next is the really interesting thing and will give some strong indications of if the game has moved forward at all.
Being hamstrung by Vlandys tv deal which has ripped $100mill plus a year out of nrl revenue isn’t going to help us take some risks though
Yep we get it, 2 million posts about V'landys is enough.

Colk

First Grade
Nrl needs to get its koohunas out and add 3 more clubs in next ten years. Perth for next tv deal, land a $550milltv deal and revenue goes up over $100mill, that’s more than enough to then add Adelaide and Wellington. get to a 20 club nrl on $1bill revenue by 2033 and the game will be heading in the right direction.

3? That’s progressive. I think you could possibly do it over a couple of TV deals

Perth Red

Post Whore
3? That’s progressive. I think you could possibly do it over a couple of TV deals
It would be.
perth for 2028 tv deal
Adelaide plus Wellington or brisbane for 2033 tv deal.
or something more radical, sign a ten year deal like paramount offered afl for $600mill a year with a staggered introduction o f the three clubs over the ten years. this is actually a less risky approach and allows the nrl to be far more strategic in how it goes about it.

MugaB

Coach
If they go to PNG that’s probably the ballsiest move of them all.

Interesting how it would or could work.
Aus govt chip in, but i still think to base it in cairns, cant be a premeirship threat, when you cant recruit marquees to live in png

Perth Red

Post Whore
Aus govt chip in, but i still think to base it in cairns, cant be a premeirship threat, when you cant recruit marquees to live in png
Makes total sense to base a png/pi team in north qlnd lol.

as gizzard as the idea is Wellington or Auckland would be the “obvious” choice for base with games split betweeen nz and png.
it seems so preposterous that I can only think Vlandys is paying lip service to the govt in mentioning it.

MugaB

Coach
Makes total sense to base a png/pi team in north qlnd lol.

as gizzard as the idea is Wellington or Auckland would be the “obvious” choice for base with games split betweeen nz and png.
it seems so preposterous that I can only think Vlandys is paying lip service to the govt in mentioning it.
Pvl loves it when others pay for a service he wont have to... you can take that to the bank

Besides keeping all bids interested is the way forward especially when it comes to pvl speaking, i very much doubt he will double down on the rusted afl states comment, when they are yet to tender the 18th team

Last edited:
If we had the games early 90’s leadership with todays money and profile the game could be anything. Club 18 decision is going to say a lot about if the nrl has grown up or remains same old same old.

The game's early 90s leadership is what caused Super League. Arthurson and Quayle favoured the Sydney clubs and set the interstate clubs up to fail. They handed the pay TV rights to Packer for nothing. They were very much like V'landys.

Colk

First Grade

I respectfully disagree on the location thing. Why are people in Cairns going to watch a PNG/Pacific side after the novelty factor wears off? There’s nothing in it for them.

They are going to have to play a majority of games outside of PNG/Islands for this to work.

At least if they are based in NZ where there is a large Pacific Islander diaspora there is at least some kind of support to tap into.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I respectfully disagree on the location thing. Why are people in Cairns going to watch a PNG/Pacific side after the novelty factor wears off? There’s nothing in it for them.

They are going to have to play a majority of games outside of PNG/Islands for this to work.

At least if they are based in NZ where there is a large Pacific Islander diaspora there is at least some kind of support to tap into.
No stadium, no fans, not appealing to players and no corporates. Makes total sense to base a png or PI club in cairns lol

it’d have to be Auckland and mostly a PI side and can’t see warriors liking that.

MugaB

Coach

Again youre missing the point, its a team for the region

Latest posts