What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Glenneel

Bench
Watching from the nosebleed section last night, what I saw was the Sharks doing a lot of movement off the ball when they were in possession. Their line speed was twice the speed of ours, they were making metres slot easier than us.

The biggest worry was watching their 3 first half tries where I'm pretty sure each of those try scorer's literally, and I mean literally and not just for hyperbole sake, had not a hand laid on them. That's unforgivable in first grade IMO.

We seriously lack speed in our backline. Our fastest players are our 2 halves. Not good... Murchie and Doorey look so unfit it's embarrassing - hands on hips for entire sets. I get they were not signed as top 17 players, but if you've signed a contract and you're not sure if you're going to crack a spot in the top grade because there are more talented blokes in front of you, then surely, fitness is an area that you can nail in the off season.

Hodgson has either lost all confidence in his body/knees and that is why he has shelved his running game, or he has been coached not to run and to just distribute... Judging by Rheeds game (small sample size) so far this year, I think it's the latter ...
Think Murchie and Doorey were signed to be top 17.

the phantom menace

First Grade
If its "absolute desperation", why hasnt Moses signed somewhere? It gets back to options doesnt it. If Moses doesnt sign with us, we are back to Brooks/Doueihi with noone else available for 2024. If Moses leaves Parra, your options are?
Seems to me that Tigers and Parra have the same or similar options and the offers are close enough that Moses hasnt signed yet.
"Absolute desperation" in terms of the Tigers high offer, rather than a "feelgood homecoming" which is just spin for the media.

But yes, Moses is fortunate his off-contract timing doesn't coincide with a plethora of other options for his own retaining club (or any other suitors), and he has astute management which is milking it for as much/long as they can get.

Our options for 7 without Moses are Brown or Arthur - Gutherson can be brought into the halves to partner Brown if we sign/keep healthy a fullback option, and then Arthur remains a back-up.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Which (when Lane and Matterson are fit and less selfish respectively) means Doorey and Murchie are bench options - the new Kaufusi and Makatoa (who I know is still there, but this season is no longer being used for more than 10mins as it is).

eels_fan

First Grade
I think BA was banking on Marty Taupau who had verbally agreed from what I heard before a 11th hour approach from Brisbane the day before he was due to sign with us.

I think our best hope is to pickup Sirronen, promote Cini for depth and then look for another prop that isn’t getting game time at another club.

Maka, Momo, Greig and Ogden are all not top 17 players. They can be extended replacements, but they can’t be in our regular choice team.

RCG
Hodgson
Paulo
Lane
Doorey
Hoogood

bench of

Matto
Murchie / Carty
Sirro
*insert genuine prop here.*

Glenneel

Bench
I think letting Brown go is a mistake, though clearly Brad holds a grudge and therefore looking like the absolute amateur he actually is, Brad takes things personally in my opinion, and puts himself and his family ahead of the team, Brown if he goes to the Roosters may well win a comp

U don’t go from SOO to shit overnight, even allowing for injuries
With our lack of decent middles (except for our starters) atm it would be a mistake imo. We need punch off the bench for at least 30 mins and if Nrown can get back to something like his best its what we badly need. Maybe then BA will know how to use the bench properly.