What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don't think we where better than anyone in the 8 bar Canberra.
28 nil before Penrith out cue in rack. Total humiliation
Storm and Roosters had lots if injuries also.
Where we ever a chance? We had the 7th best points differential and as Pou says that's a better indicator
So it was luck making the finals 4 year in the row, including 2 top 4 finishes…..

Gazzamatta

Coach
Clarkson a typical pommy tosser. In fact i would argue one of the biggest going around.

I can't stand him the way he mocked the bushfires here back in 2020 when he basically said Australia deserves it and we are an island not meant for human habitation was a downright disgrace.

I know where i would rather live and it ain't UK.
To be honest hes my least favourite character but its got me giggling. The only thing Ive watched recently as funny is BAs media calls.

King-Gutho94

Coach
So who put the squad together that made the finals 4 years in a row and made a GF?

Was that a shit squad?
We had a team good enough to win it in 2021 & 2022.

We got unlucky in 2021 didnt help the fact we didnt have a backup half for 5 weeks after Origin when Moses did his back and we lost our spot in the 4.

We re-grouped should have beaten Penrith if not for some refereeing decisions but we made it hard on ourselves by not making the Top 4. We were 9-1 to start the year after 10 rounds and came 6th at the end of the regular season.

2022 was a major stuff up simply because we put ourselves in a situation having to travel to Townsville for a prelim final by losing to the Tigers & Bulldogs in not horrendous inexcusable performances that premiership sides don't toss up.

We probably turn up to GF day with more petrol in the tank if we had 2 x finals including a prelim final by finishing top 2.

Gazzamatta

Coach
He does like to run the ball. And he does seem to make ok inroads when he does strength wise. I reckon one more off season and 5kgs will.be enough to have him ready. He will probably still put on a couple more after that.
It did cost me $35 to witness it due to the greed of the peanuts running the game. Unsure I'd ever go to another nsw cup game again. Add in a pie,drink and public transport and it was $60 with a half empty belly.
Ashols
Go to the next game at Blacktown. Free entry and a great little field with grandstand.
The other option is to wait for The COE which should be finished shortly after the West Sydney Airport opens.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We had a team good enough to win it in 2021 & 2022.

We got unlucky in 2021 didnt help the fact we didnt have a backup half for 5 weeks after Origin when Moses did his back and we lost our spot in the 4.

We re-grouped should have beaten Penrith if not for some refereeing decisions but we made it hard on ourselves by not making the Top 4. We were 9-1 to start the year after 10 rounds and came 6th at the end of the regular season.

2022 was a major stuff up simply because we put ourselves in a situation having to travel to Townsville for a prelim final by losing to the Tigers & Bulldogs in not horrendous inexcusable performances that premiership sides don't toss up.

We probably turn up to GF day with more petrol in the tank if we had 2 x finals including a prelim final by finishing top 2.
So if the 2021 and 2022 squads were good enough to win it, MON has done a good job in putting that squad together?

King-Gutho94

Coach
Where we ever a chance? We had the 7th best points differential and as Pou says that's a better indicator
If your talking about 2022 Cowboys & Sharks had a soft of the soft draws they really didn't deserve to be there and it showed in there finals performances. One of them had to host a prelim final because they finished 2nd and 3rd and from memory the Cows won in GP 34-32 or something it was a soft final.

We beat Storm twice, Penrith twice & roosters once. They were probs the 3 best teams on Paper in 2022. And we went 5-1 in the regular season against them.

I think we were deserving of a GF place that season overall. The way Penrith played who was going to beat them.

What stuffed us was the 2 pathetic performances against the Tigers & Bulldogs who were both dead last when we played them. Should have been Top 2 and we avoid Townsville a week before the GF

King-Gutho94

Coach
So if the 2021 and 2022 squads were good enough to win it, MON has done a good job in putting that squad together?
Decent job up to the 2022 GF they weren't many complaints.

It was more questions to do around BA's coaching and if we he had what it takes to win a premiership.

Buckets is part of the problem were currently in and i think would it best for the club if BA & Buckets both go so we have a fresh set of eyes on both of those crucial roles to rebuild the joint.

I actually think the HOF shouldn't be a yes man for the coach but at the same time have a good enough relationship with to challenge each other.

Frank Poniessi would be perfect but unfortunately he wont ever leave Melbourne unless were prepared to offer him a godfather other to try and convince him to uproot and move to Sydney even then it would be unlikely.

Last edited:

yy_cheng

Coach
MA may be / may not be ready for the NRL at this stage, but he will have no problems physically handling it. It aren’t like he is a defensive liability in NSW cup where the boys are just as big as the NRL.

Plus he is only 19, and is taller than Mahoney…..his size will be fine.

Size doesnt matter, its your will. This goea for matt and the opposition running at him

The panfer backups arent big but have a lot of will.

Sivo is huge but has no will

hindy111

Post Whore
So it was luck making the finals 4 year in the row, including 2 top 4 finishes…..

With our squad what would be acceptable?
We had halves of Dylan and Moses
Two origin level props at the time and Gutherson who was a top 5 fullback in that era. And e very good dummy half.
Did we over achieve? We put together a nice squad. It was poorly coached and barrelled out easily in most finals campaigns.
We then extended guys for to long and the rest is history.

Eelementary

Post Whore
MA may be / may not be ready for the NRL at this stage, but he will have no problems physically handling it. It aren’t like he is a defensive liability in NSW cup where the boys are just as big as the NRL.

Plus he is only 19, and is taller than Mahoney…..his size will be fine.

I'm one of Matt's biggest fans here, because I genuinely think he is a special player.

But I do think he is too light/scrawny for regular NRL footy at this stage.

He has the brains, and the skill, to be a very, very good dummy-half - but he needs to add a bit of muscle to his frame, and it's not just so he doesn't get rag-dolled - it's so bis body can cope with the rigours of NRL footy better.

Legal Eel

Juniors
With our squad what would be acceptable?
We had halves of Dylan and Moses
Two origin level props at the time and Gutherson who was a top 5 fullback in that era. And e very good dummy half.
Did we over achieve? We put together a nice squad. It was poorly coached and barrelled out easily in most finals campaigns.
We then extended guys for to long and the rest is history.
This really is an outstanding and very reasonable summary!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So the seventh best team is hardly a shit squad. And winning a preliminary final in Townsville isn’t something to cry about. It was an awesome game.

Latest posts