What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Colk

First Grade
So if 10k Sydney people become season ticket holders and they get a few million pa in sponsors from the north shore this is a bad thing for a Perth nrl team ?

It only matters if Perth, Adelaide or PNG or whomever accept it. That’s who the team is for - that’s the target market. Not Sydney. If those areas suspect that this team isn’t built for them but instead is built to satisfy some boomers back in Sydney they simply won’t buy into what is being sold to them.

And before you contest that means league can’t succeed in those areas then, I would contest that would be same for anything. People won’t buy anything if it is not marketed or addressed to them or suspect that they don’t care about them as a consumer.

Answer this: Hypothetically would you argue that a team in Newcastle or Canberra or Brisbane worked if nobody in those places followed it but a few thousand people in Sydney did?

Wb1234

Referee
Really hard to know why they are being so strident with their non-negotiables, a) really believe Perth haven`t got a hope without them; b) over inflated sense of self-worth, c) lot of noise to appease their Bears fans d) ambit claim like you say, and we`ll negotiate from there.
What people say for public release and what happens behind close doors when negotiations are serious are totally different

The Great Dane

First Grade
Current feeder club arrangements FYI

View attachment 71542

Bears recently split from the Roosters I'm assuming because of their NRL ambitions (and I'm sure will re organise a new arrangement with someone if they end up not getting their way)

Redcliffe prior to the NRL dolphins was affiliated with the Warriors

The Hunters are the only side not affiliated with an NRL club, and IMO this should be pushed by the NRL to happen, which then gives you that funnel from PNG straight into the NRL

Bring in Perth and set the hunters up as the affiliated QCup side, 2 birds 1 Stone, no need for the parasite Bears, and we can continue to wait for PNG to develop as a nation until its ready for a fully fledged team that I'm sure will one day be a powerhouse
In actuality the Roosters split from the Bears as part of PVL's push for a reserve grade and three games on matchday.

It's actually a really big problem for the Bears and other independent NSW Cup sides, but that's a tangent.

Iamback

Coach
Not if Perth negotiate they won’t own it fully

That is it. All Bears have said is they are talking to bid teams.

They have said their terms, Either the bid teams like it and they partner up or the relevant bid teams go alone.

No where have Bears said they will own or run the license

Iamback

Coach
Really hard to know why they are being so strident with their non-negotiables, a) really believe Perth haven`t got a hope without them; b) over inflated sense of self-worth, c) lot of noise to appease their Bears fans d) ambit claim like you say, and we`ll negotiate from there.

If they are dropping a few million in to the side, No doubt the Bears name will move some extra merch particularly to older fans. Then I gets the Leagues Club and the board want something in return

Iamback

Coach
It only matters if Perth, Adelaide or PNG or whomever accept it. That’s who the team is for - that’s the target market. Not Sydney. If those areas suspect that this team isn’t built for them but instead is built to satisfy some boomers back in Sydney they simply won’t buy into what is being sold to them.

And before you contest that means league can’t succeed in those areas then, I would contest that would be same for anything. People won’t buy anything if it is not marketed or addressed to them or suspect that they don’t care about them as a consumer.

Answer this: Hypothetically would you argue that a team in Newcastle or Canberra or Brisbane worked if nobody in those places followed it but a few thousand people in Sydney did?

Would either of those teams been successful without the strong junior system and roots they have?

That is the main thing the Bears bring a ready made junior development program. No doubt will add a few top juniors from Perth amongst other signings

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
If they are dropping a few million in to the side, No doubt the Bears name will move some extra merch particularly to older fans. Then I gets the Leagues Club and the board want something in return
Yeah and I suppose after their last debacle they are making it very clear what the rules will be this time.

Iamback

Coach
Yeah and I suppose after their last debacle they are making it very clear what the rules will be this time.

Blacktown council was shafted by GWS after dropping $300m on a ground so it is good business sense.

Atleast they are making it clear, Any potential partner knows the cost of doing a deal. It is then up to Perth, PNG etc to decide if it will work for them

greenBV4

Bench
So if 10k Sydney people become season ticket holders and they get a few million pa in sponsors from the north shore this is a bad thing for a Perth nrl team ?
You think there's 10k old bears fans in Sydney that would buy season tickets or a Perth team?? Have you seen the membership numbers for teams based in Sydney full time

Vibing

Juniors
You think there's 10k old bears fans in Sydney that would buy season tickets or a Perth team?? Have you seen the membership numbers for teams based in Sydney full time
People see what they want to see
Perth fans will see their team , Old NS fans will see their team. Everyone is happy.

IDK if there'd be 10K , but there'd be plenty.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
That’s not how negotiations work

people make ambit claims then negotiate to a middle ground
That is it. All Bears have said is they are talking to bid teams.

They have said their terms, Either the bid teams like it and they partner up or the relevant bid teams go alone.

No where have Bears said they will own or run the license

What are you talking about? They have said it on multiple occasions.

Go read this article. It clearly states that one of their non-negotiables is that the licence sits with North Sydney. There are a multitude of other examples.

I think you are believing what you want to believe at this point in time. Now it could all be for show and they will fold on these demands but that’s a view based on hope rather than any particular evidence.

This article and others where they have clearly stated the same exact thing are why people are against it. They can’t be trusted if this is what they want.

Wb1234

Referee
What are you talking about? They have said it on multiple occasions.

Go read this article. It clearly states that one of their non-negotiables is that the licence sits with North Sydney. There are a multitude of other examples.

I think you are believing what you want to believe at this point in time. Now it could all be for show and they will fold on these demands but that’s a view based on hope rather than any particular evidence.

This article and others where they have clearly stated the same exact thing are why people are against it. They can’t be trusted if this is what they want.
It’s a view based on the real world not this forum where people make conspiracy theories and run with them

the colours logo and 2 home games at nso are more important than sole ownership

with png they do have a greater chance of sole ownership Perth will never give them 100 percent ownership

Wb1234

Referee
The 2 biggest clubs in Sydney, based there full time, in modern stadiums, have 30k members (not season pass holders)

But a Perth team wanting to play a handful of games at a dilapidated Park footy ground will get 10k from Sydney?

Yeah unlikely
Smallest club has 13k

talking nonsense as usual

Latest posts