What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 - Rabbitohs vs Storm: Friday 31st March 8pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Time to move onto the next game as we enter the fifth week of the competition, jeez that's gone quick! We've got another game at home as we take on the mob from Melbourne. That's right, we take on the Storm this Friday night in what is sure to be another blockbuster. We all know our record against the Storm is diabolical. It's the worst of any team against any other team in the comp and for whatever reason over the years, we just haven't been able to get the job done against them. That was a bit different last time we met in 2022 as we came through for a rare win. Can we make it two in a row this weekend? Now that would be something extremely rare.

This is a game where we can probably not be so stressed about our injuries because the Storm are in the same boat, if not, worse. They've been absolutely smashed by injuries and although they got some troops back last week, they're still under-strength. However, that does not mean we take them lightly, this is the Melbourne Storm we're talking about here. They're always gonna turn up and are always going to be in the contest. They'll be looking to build on their win last week, so we need to be ready for an ambush. Their biggest threat is clearly Munster, he's just returned from injury and will be ready to go. The other is Harry Grant. Thankfully, Hughes is suspended but we're still going to have our hands full with the other two. Shut them down, which is a lot easier said than done, and it'll go a long way to winning. if we can get on top through the middle, which I think is a lot more possible this week given their injuries, that will really help us be able to do that.

For us, it's also about building on last week. We may have got a great result in the end, but the 80 minutes was certainly not the kind of performance we want. The boys are better than that and we need to show that this weekend. Priority number one should be the errors, we really need to cut them down massively. It's been our biggest problem all year so far and we can't continue to do it, or Melbourne will make us pay. I want to be completing at above 80% on Friday night, that needs to be the focus. Secondly, keep that defence humming along. If we can do both these things, our attack should flow. Significantly, we'll get Sele back for this one which gives us a huge boost! Hopefully he can get through the game. His addition is huge though because of the impact he brings, and it allows us to put Keaon, one of our biggest weapons, back to the edge. So yea, Hame in is huge. I just want to see a really focused and consistent performance this week.

Going to be a cracker of a week hopefully, the buildup will be interesting. We have an opportunity to go out and further our way up in this comp to start the year, gotta go out and take it. Let's get into it!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Thank f**k we get another home game. I'll be at this one.

Also who the f**k decides our draw? They obviously hate us.

I have been so impressed with the boys in defence and i hope we keep it up. The Storm havent been playing well but i expect them to turn it up on Friday as we have a poor record against them. I think Hughes is still out for them which is huge.

If Host drops another ball ill run onto the field and pull him off myself.

Also that storm left edge is pretty weak defensively. If we can afford it id love to havd Koloa back on that right edge but we've got so many middles out that might not happen.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 5 vs the Storm,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Suluka-Fifita
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Koloamatangi
12. Chee Kam
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Host
16. Sele
17. Moale

The backline is self-explanatory. But in the pack, Hame returning is a big inclusion. If I was JD, I'd be resisting the urge to start him though, just ease him back in off the bench. DSF can start and he'll do a job, Hame can bring the impact off the pine. Tom will probably start again. Although we all like him off the bench, we got two great stints out of him starting last week so time to repeat that again please Tommy.

Hame's return allows Keaon to go back to his edge which is also huge, and I think Cheeks will start as the left edge backrower with Hosty and Cartwright on the bench. Davvy keeps his spot for now.

Some has suggested that Taaffe come back in, but I think we're better off with four forwards again. It's been working well. Plus, although we have plenty out, Melbourne's pack is arguably more depleted than ours, so I see this game being won up the middle. We need four forwards.

Looking forward to team list Tuesday!!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Thank f**k we get another home game. I'll be at this one.

Also who the f**k decides our draw? They obviously hate us.

I have been so impressed with the boys in defence and i hope we keep it up. The Storm havent been playing well but i expect them to turn it up on Friday as we have a poor record against them. I think Hughes is still out for them which is huge.

If Host drops another ball ill run onto the field and pull him off myself.

Also that storm left edge is pretty weak defensively. If we can afford it id love to havd Koloa back on that right edge but we've got so many middles out that might not happen.
The NRL keep saying the draw is "random", selected by "a Computer"
Everyone knows that's BS.
How does a computer, year in and year out, select all the good teams to all play each other at the first 1/3 of the comp, and again in the final stretch, all the shit teams to play each other at the beginning, and the end, and NO good teams playing shit teams until round 6-8?
That's laughable if that's "random"

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Suluka-Fifita
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Koloamatangi
12. Chee Kam
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Host
16. Sele
17. Moale

The backline is self-explanatory. But in the pack, Hame returning is a big inclusion. If I was JD, I'd be resisting the urge to start him though, just ease him back in off the bench. DSF can start and he'll do a job, Hame can bring the impact off the pine. Tom will probably start again. Although we all like him off the bench, we got two great stints out of him starting last week so time to repeat that again please Tommy.

Hame's return allows Keaon to go back to his edge which is also huge, and I think Cheeks will start as the left edge backrower with Hosty and Cartwright on the bench. Davvy keeps his spot for now.

Some has suggested that Taaffe come back in, but I think we're better off with four forwards again. It's been working well. Plus, although we have plenty out, Melbourne's pack is arguably more depleted than ours, so I see this game being won up the middle. We need four forwards.

Agreed.
I want 4 forwards on the bench.
It ain't like Taafe is a Benji Marshall....

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
How does a computer, year in and year out, select all the good teams to all play each other at the first 1/3 of the comp, and again in the final stretch, all the shit teams to play each other at the beginning, and the end, and NO good teams playing shit teams until round 6-8?

It really feels like our opening draw probably alongside Parramatta is one of the hardest in the comps. If some things didnt go our way we might have been 0-4 to start the season.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Suluka-Fifita
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Koloamatangi
12. Chee Kam
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Host
16. Sele
17. Moale

Taafe tore up in NSW cup against Manly so it will be interesting to see if they keep giving him big minutes there for a little bit.

handyman2190

Bench
Taafe tore up in NSW cup against Manly so it will be interesting to see if they keep giving him big minutes there for a little bit.
Parramatta are apparently looking to put king gutho in the centres and are looking for a fullback, daine lawry has been mentioned ,but dont be surprised if they try for taafe,i wouldnt want to lose him

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round Five against Storm: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/28/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-five-against-storm/

Team list Tuesday!! Let's goooo!!

A decent and much more settled line up this week, almost exactly as I predicted! The only changes from last week's line up is DSF starting, Keaon going back to an edge and Hame coming in on the bench in a huge inclusion. Other than that, we're settled which is great to see.

Happy to see that JD has opted to go with a four forward bench because I believe that's what needs to happen moving forward.

It's a good side that is more than capable of getting one over the Storm. Bring on Friday!!

Runrabbit14

Juniors
Parramatta are apparently looking to put king gutho in the centres and are looking for a fullback, daine lawry has been mentioned ,but dont be surprised if they try for taafe,i wouldnt want to lose him
Couldn’t agree more as Taafe has enormous potential but just needs regular game time under his belt.
He has been a wonderful clubman and would be cruel to loose him.
He is still unsigned and I keep checking for any news on him re-signing ??

handyman2190

Bench
Couldn’t agree more as Taafe has enormous potential but just needs regular game time under his belt.
He was interviewed after the nsw match last week he said he wanted to play good footy so he could be re signed end of the season.
But i think this is a mistake, he was being groomed to replace cody,he isnt really a FB, and he showed against manly how good a 5/8 he is, he should be signed immediately

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round Five against Storm: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/28/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-five-against-storm/

Team list Tuesday!! Let's goooo!!

A decent and much more settled line up this week, almost exactly as I predicted! The only changes from last week's line up is DSF starting, Keaon going back to an edge and Hame coming in on the bench in a huge inclusion. Other than that, we're settled which is great to see.

Happy to see that JD has opted to go with a four forward bench because I believe that's what needs to happen moving forward.

It's a good side that is more than capable of getting one over the Storm. Bring on Friday!!
Agreed.
for me, the biggest plus is moving Keon back to the edge.
I'm a bit surprised Chee Kam is moved to the bench, not arguing it, just raising my eyebrow a bit

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
He was interviewed after the nsw match last week he said he wanted to play good footy so he could be re signed end of the season.
But i think this is a mistake, he was being groomed to replace cody,he isnt really a FB, and he showed against manly how good a 5/8 he is, he should be signed immediately
I'm just wondering what the front office are thinking about Karapani and Kalo Kalo, and if maybe they envisage one of them becoming the FB, and Latrell becoming the 5/8.
A bit far into the future, so not something I'm gonna worry about too much at this stage.
A more pressing recruitment need is middle forwards......

callmack1

Staff member
Agreed.
for me, the biggest plus is moving Keon back to the edge.
I'm a bit surprised Chee Kam is moved to the bench, not arguing it, just raising my eyebrow a bit
Yea man I tend to agree. I think at the end of the Season, everything and everyone going well, I'd have Hosty ahead of Cheeks but I thought that right now, Cheeks would get the nod. Hosty is still easing his way back in whereas Cheeks has been really good for four Rounds now.

I'm not complaining either, just not what I expected like you.

big hit!

Bench

It's not a 'draw'. It's a 'FIXture'.

It's all about maximising broadcast rights, and you do that by having all the top teams playing each other early, and again in the run in to finals. The 6 week Origin period is where they have less appealing games because players are missing from clubs, and everyone is focus on rep footy.

YouKnowImRight

Juniors

I don’t see much hope for him, perhaps he’ll be more useful as a 14 when Cook retires & Mamouzelos will struggle to play 80 for a while
if the stars align I hope Jye Gray stays at the club & partners Illias

Latest posts