What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
Correction. St George would have survived the criteria. They thought that the merge would guarantee their future long term though.

If you remember the times Penrith with the largest junior league in the game was due to be axed under the criteria. What a travesty that would have been.
Balmain don’t choose to merge Penrith miss out Balmain make it

westerntiger

Juniors
Yes I'm the same
But Perth Tiger's
Western suburbs Magpies stand alone club
South western Sydney
Both Clubs would thrive
😊
Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

Melbourne Bears,
Adelaide Roosters,
Saigon Rabbitohs

Let's not pretend that the Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra Dragons merged for the good of the game. They did so because they were offered a large sum from the NRL and a guaranteed place in a 14 team competiton. If the clubs met the criteria then they wouldn't have merged. North Sydney and Manly merged for similar reasons.

MugaB

Coach
Balmain don’t choose to merge Penrith miss out Balmain make it
Nope that doesnt change the order
If balmain don't choose the merger, Norths bears, wests magpies, and souths rabbits all disappear..
Penrith were always safe you had to make the 14.
Balmain were 14th.... tigers = dumb still holds true in 2023

P.s. Wb1234 also cannot calculate

Wb1234

Referee
Nope that doesnt change the order
If balmain don't choose the merger, Norths bears, wests magpies, and souths rabbits all disappear..
Penrith were always safe you had to make the 14.
Balmain were 14th.... tigers = dumb still holds true in 2023

P.s. Wb1234 also cannot calculate
Nah you guys would’ve been booted

taipan

Referee
The game was semi-professional back then and relied on gaming machine revenue. It was possible for a club with a small fanbase to excel on the field with a Leagues Club that was packed to the rafters with pokies.

The chairman of the Dragons was looking at merging with the Roosters before Super League because the club was struggling to generate revenue.

St George and Illawarra merged because they didn't meet the criteria needed to gain a licence in the rationalised 14 team competiton.

@The Great Dane became a Raiders fan when the Bears were omitted.

North Sydney Bears never had a large fanbase. The problems on the North Shore stem from the Bears refusing to allow any other club to adopt the region. You cannot expect people to "move on" when the Bears are giving false hope to the few thousand people who want them to return.

Their crowds increased because the club went from being cellar dwellers to grand finalists. They experienced a similar rise in attendances during the 80s when they made the finals. It proves there was always latent support for an AwFuL club that was successful on the pitch. Immigration from Victoria also helped.

Rugby league fans won't become fumbleball fans unless they already like the game.

I live less than 100m from the Lions@Springwood Social Club. I've never gone to it. There's no Queensland Cup team in Logan. It didn't stop me from going to Wynnum Manly games until my health became an issue.

Titans don't have a Leagues Club. No money from gaming means they rely on ticketing, membership, sponsorship and corporate hospitality. There are plenty of Sydney clubs who make just as little from these revenue streams. The difference is the Sydney clubs are backed by Leagues Clubs with gaming machines.
The Dragons relied too much on the Poker machines- via the Taj Mahal as it was known then, that's how they got some of the best players..They certainly after 1967 didn't have problems with crowds. A Roosters/Dragons merger would not be a geographically suitable match.
St George also merged due to geographical matchmaking.The demographics then were not a real issue, they are now. Eventually I believe the Dragons will end top at Wollongong a growing area with many young families.
Depends what you call a large fan base for the Bears ATT. They certainly had a bigger junior league than at present, Their crowds at NSO especially when they played Manly packed them in.And the Roosters were hardly crowd pullers at times, with SFA junior league.
For every Bear's fan you can name who follows another team,I can name one who gave up, met some of them whilst repping ,followed union or on the rare occasion the Ducks.I know of people who flicked the code because of mergers particularly St George Illawarra.Two sides two every story.
The Bears were dudded because of the delay on the CC Stadium,then the dumbass merger with the Eagles.

Initially the Swans had bandwaggoners , but they(according to their CEOs have grown their supporter base from Sydney people.I know my ex next door neighbour(still a friend LOL) was invited to a Swan's game by a Melbourne friend ,and he and his family became members.So it does happen.
Geoff Prenter (a rusted on Leaguie) the early Editor Of RL Week, went over to the Swans when Murdoch took over circa 1996/7.Where did South's fans go when they got the flick? Certainly not to other clubs judging by crowds then.
In Melbourne some AFL fans have become Storm fans whilst holding AFL memberships.So sh*t does happen.
You are always going to get rusted on fans(like you and me) who won't look elsewhere, then there are the casuals who go to more than one sport , and then there are the non sport types who get invited along to a code game.
Oh and for the record I was brought up on soccer, then had 6 years of playing and watching union at high school, and was invited by my future father -in-law to watch the Dragons.I was hooked.

I can assure you flicking the Sharks and the same goes for my league loving mates ,will not encourage us to go to another club. Certainly not St George. Tribalism plays a hell of a part, and yes some are prepared to follow another club ,but not the majority.
It is absurd to believe that flicking any Sydney club (and that is where the Tv ratings dominate and where Commerce is big ,is going to grow a supporter base.You are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The Sharks league's club was hardly a money making enterprise even with pokies.Same with the Knights ATT.
The GC has 600k people and a bloody good stadium,I've been there on hols.They have a good junior league also.
When the Broncos went to SL their crowds dropped , people are protective of their clubland I can assure you when the Sharks decided to go to SL apart from friendships being destroyed ,some people then stated they wanted nothing to do with SL.
I attended the Leagues Club the night the club decided to go to SL, I heard the responses of some.I stuck with the club and in fact attended the SL game at the SFS 3/3/97 Sharks v Raiders 22,683 crowd.
I've got a fair idea of the effect of clubs near death's door, culling of clubs (Sharks was on the chopping block),the impact of SL and tribalism look no further than Souths.
That's why I don't want to see any club here or there being chopped because it hurts the fans(And Souths showed that).The crowds and comp so far has shown there is no need to rationalise ,even union wont chop a club.
No reason for the code not to add additional clubs to include another Brisbane side and Perth and a 20th.

The SL war educated me to the fact rl fans don't like to be treated like media pawns ,who decide where and when team should be.They have SFA idea of tribalism, they only know the almighty dollar.
Another rant by me at a late hour.

MugaB

Coach
Don’t worry if Balmain had made the cut Penrith still could’ve continued as a parramatta feeder team in the nswrl
Troll dun bad...

Still waiting on the equation...
Just admit you can't count... and we'll leave it at that..
Otherwise this will just drag on for pages and days...
I like your posts generally WB, a little sydney bias, but generally funny... but today you messed up, ive called you on your bluff, and am now awaiting how you think the criteria ranking differ if balmain don't merge

The final rankings were:
Dragons/Steelers merge, so they got the free pass

1 Brisbane,
2 Newcastle,
3 Melbourne,
4 Canterbury,
5 Cronulla,
6 Sydney Roosters,
7 Parramatta,
8 North Queensland,
9 Auckland,
10 Canberra,
11 Manly,
12 Penrith,
13 Balmain,

Regardless of any mergers these guys get cut

14 North Sydney
15 Western Suburbs,
16 South Sydney.

Now if norths and souths merged aswell as the wests/tigers then you have a case, but they didn't

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
The Dragons relied too much on the Poker machines- via the Taj Mahal as it was known then, that's how they got some of the best players..They certainly after 1967 didn't have problems with crowds. A Roosters/Dragons merger would not be a geographically suitable match.
St George also merged due to geographical matchmaking.The demographics then were not a real issue, they are now. Eventually I believe the Dragons will end top at Wollongong a growing area with many young families.
Depends what you call a large fan base for the Bears ATT. They certainly had a bigger junior league than at present, Their crowds at NSO especially when they played Manly packed them in.And the Roosters were hardly crowd pullers at times, with SFA junior league.
For every Bear's fan you can name who follows another team,I can name one who gave up, met some of them whilst repping ,followed union or on the rare occasion the Ducks.I know of people who flicked the code because of mergers particularly St George Illawarra.Two sides two every story.
The Bears were dudded because of the delay on the CC Stadium,then the dumbass merger with the Eagles.

Initially the Swans had bandwaggoners , but they(according to their CEOs have grown their supporter base from Sydney people.I know my ex next door neighbour(still a friend LOL) was invited to a Swan's game by a Melbourne friend ,and he and his family became members.So it does happen.
Geoff Prenter (a rusted on Leaguie) the early Editor Of RL Week, went over to the Swans when Murdoch took over circa 1996/7.Where did South's fans go when they got the flick? Certainly not to other clubs judging by crowds then.
In Melbourne some AFL fans have become Storm fans whilst holding AFL memberships.So sh*t does happen.
You are always going to get rusted on fans(like you and me) who won't look elsewhere, then there are the casuals who go to more than one sport , and then there are the non sport types who get invited along to a code game.
Oh and for the record I was brought up on soccer, then had 6 years of playing and watching union at high school, and was invited by my future father -in-law to watch the Dragons.I was hooked.

I can assure you flicking the Sharks and the same goes for my league loving mates ,will not encourage us to go to another club. Certainly not St George. Tribalism plays a hell of a part, and yes some are prepared to follow another club ,but not the majority.
It is absurd to believe that flicking any Sydney club (and that is where the Tv ratings dominate and where Commerce is big ,is going to grow a supporter base.You are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The Sharks league's club was hardly a money making enterprise even with pokies.Same with the Knights ATT.
The GC has 600k people and a bloody good stadium,I've been there on hols.They have a good junior league also.
When the Broncos went to SL their crowds dropped , people are protective of their clubland I can assure you when the Sharks decided to go to SL apart from friendships being destroyed ,some people then stated they wanted nothing to do with SL.
I attended the Leagues Club the night the club decided to go to SL, I heard the responses of some.I stuck with the club and in fact attended the SL game at the SFS 3/3/97 Sharks v Raiders 22,683 crowd.
I've got a fair idea of the effect of clubs near death's door, culling of clubs (Sharks was on the chopping block),the impact of SL and tribalism look no further than Souths.
That's why I don't want to see any club here or there being chopped because it hurts the fans(And Souths showed that).The crowds and comp so far has shown there is no need to rationalise ,even union wont chop a club.
No reason for the code not to add additional clubs to include another Brisbane side and Perth and a 20th.

The SL war educated me to the fact rl fans don't like to be treated like media pawns ,who decide where and when team should be.They have SFA idea of tribalism, they only know the almighty dollar.
Grotd doesn't care about you or your story/rant, you are just one of many insignificant southern sydneysiders that make a small percentage of the numbers he wants the NRL to enforce some new criteria he has created.... in his own mind...
Now that dragons are the new shit team on the block this season, its time for him to pummel us with posts of culling them or relocating them far away, so that after every club has one by one dissolved away, he can see his fantasy (and figment of his imagination) Logan Scorpions play the last remaining team in the NRL the North (or just) QLD cowboys, then can delete his account here on LU, and ride offinto the sunset, counting all the potatos he comes across, see he has a potato deficiency, and speaking to them helps his mind make sense of the world around him, Potatos!!!

Wb1234

Referee
Troll dun bad...

Still waiting on the equation...
Just admit you can't count... and we'll leave it at that..
Otherwise this will just drag on for pages and days...
I like your posts generally WB, a little sydney bias, but generally funny... but today you messed up, ive called you on your bluff, and am now awaiting how you think the criteria ranking differ if balmain don't merge

The final rankings were:
Dragons/Steelers merge, so they got the free pass

1 Brisbane,
2 Newcastle,
3 Melbourne,
4 Canterbury,
5 Cronulla,
6 Sydney Roosters,
7 Parramatta,
8 North Queensland,
9 Auckland,
10 Canberra,
11 Manly,
12 Penrith,
13 Balmain,

Regardless of any mergers these guys get cut

14 North Sydney
15 Western Suburbs,
16 South Sydney.

Now if norths and souths merged aswell as the wests/tigers then you have a case, but they didn't
You’ve switched 12 and 13

give us a link

what I read it was Balmain 12 and Penrith gone

Buddy you know manly and norths merged ?

it was called the northern eagles

I can see a third team in Brisbane and one in Perth. Both teams will provide the Australian broadcasters with valuable content. The question is does the ARLC choose Adelaide or NZ 2 for the 20th team?

Adelaide is the 5th largest market in Australia but will require investment from the ARLC. None of the clubs will accept an expansion club that requires extra funding on top of the annual grant.

New Zealand 2 would be great for RL in New Zealand, but where does the team go?

Auckland cannot sustain a second team. No other market in New Zealand is big enough to support a team.

That's leaves us at 19 teams. The ARLC will probably choose one more and leave it at that doe some time. We know Ch9 want a third Brisbane team. WA Gov want a team.

If love to see the Bears relocate permanently to Adelaide or Christchurch. That would give us 20 teams.

MugaB

Coach
You’ve switched 12 and 13

give us a link

what I read it was Balmain 12 and Penrith gone

Buddy you know manly and norths merged ?

it was called the northern eagles

And that doesn't mean that manly and norths are safe, it just meant that the license that would have gone to MANLY just went to that merger instead
Grotd posted the link on the last page
Screenshot_20230330-064018_Samsung Internet.jpg

Penrith were the 2nd most profitable just behind Canterbury... jumping to SL was the smartest thing they ever did, norths were one of the 1st they asked, and they rejected it... dumb!!

Regardless even if the panthers and tigers were swapped as you recalled, it doesn't matter, both teams would have remained, and still the bottom 3 of wests, norths and souths would have been jettisoned... again you need to brush up on your calculation

flippikat

Bench
They need to save Canberra for gws imo

that’s inevitable
Is it? AFL seem set on keeping the Giants & Suns where they are, so they keep a Sydney derby and a SEQ derby.

It'd be a huge public backdown if they move either - and practically an admission of failure.

RedVee_8

Juniors

St George were runners up in 92,93,96 (much to my pain) which was a strong performance and helped in the criteria calculations. The JV was about future proofing the club, unfortunately the structure was not (imo) created wisely, leading to the current apathy. It was also presented to us members as au fait accompli and with no vote.

Pneuma

First Grade
Grotd doesn't care about you or your story/rant, you are just one of many insignificant southern sydneysiders that make a small percentage of the numbers he wants the NRL to enforce some new criteria he has created.... in his own mind...
Now that dragons are the new shit team on the block this season, its time for him to pummel us with posts of culling them or relocating them far away, so that after every club has one by one dissolved away, he can see his fantasy (and figment of his imagination) Logan Scorpions play the last remaining team in the NRL the North (or just) QLD cowboys, then can delete his account here on LU, and ride offinto the sunset, counting all the potatos he comes across, see he has a potato deficiency, and speaking to them helps his mind make sense of the world around him, Potatos!!!
GROTD=POTATO

Perth Red

Post Whore

“WA HAS STRONG FOUNDATIONS TO SUPPORT AN NRL FRANCHISE”: PERTH BID​

Written by Oliver Kellner-Dunk

For many fans Perth is the NRL’s logical next step for expansion and the league’s plan to have 20 teams by 2032 has made it a real possibility.

Earlier this month it was revealed that the NRL is looking to add three new clubs to the competition by 2032 to try and overtake the AFL and become Australia’s number one sporting code.

Perth has not had their own Rugby League team since 1997 and figures from within the past five years suggest that Western Australia’s capital city is once again ready to be a major part of our game.
In 2018, the NRL hosted a round one doubler header at the then brand new Optus Stadium in Perth that drew a crowd of over 30,000 and by the end of the year the NRL reported that grass roots participation rates in Western Australia had gone up by over 15%, a bigger increase then any other state or territory in Australia.

Since then Optus Stadium has hosted two sellout State of Origin fixtures with club Rugby League set to return to Perth later this year also.

Considering the NRL’s decision to take competition games and State of Origin to Perth it would make sense to assume that the league is building towards allowing the city to have their own team.
Last October advocates for a Perth-based NRL team heard the news they had been waiting to hear for a long time as the Western Australian government launched a bid for their capital city to be the home of a future NRL team led by politician Peter Tinley who put out the following statement.

“There are so many West Australian rugby league fans who are looking forward to the day when they can support a WA-based team,” Tinley said.

“WA has strong foundations to support an NRL franchise with participation in the sport behind only NSW and Queensland, and encouragingly, nearly a quarter of all registered players are female.

“I look forward to seeing the development of a strong third-party bid and working with them in securing an NRL franchise for Western Australia.”
Momentum is building behind Perth’s crusade to join the NRL, making it more of a case of when as opposed to if they will be successful.

jim_57

Staff member
Is it? AFL seem set on keeping the Giants & Suns where they are, so they keep a Sydney derby and a SEQ derby.

It'd be a huge public backdown if they move either - and practically an admission of failure.

Agreee. Wishful thinking to believe GWS or Suns will be going anywhere anytime soon. AFL doesn’t have all that many expansion options left so they definitely aren’t going to let either of their latest 2 die or relocate without a fight.

Latest posts