What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southern Bears

Wb1234

Referee
That's precisely it.

The NZ TV market has one bidder with cash - Sky

The FTA channels either can't match them (taxpayer owned TVNZ), or aren't willing to try (TV3 owned by Discovery, but unlikely to get in a bidding war), so Sky can pretty much name their price, and FTA will be happy with whatever crumbs Sky drops their way.

Totally different dynamic to Australia, as we have no anti-syphoning laws & no current pay TV sports competitor to Sky.
Using that logic sky could pay the nzru half what they currently do

an extra team is valuable to sky nz

Wb1234

Referee
I don't doubt that it's valuable, but there's no competitive market for rights here.
The way super rugby is dieing I would suggest the 95 million they pay for union will be cut hugely next time

sky isn’t a charity

the nrl might be a way for them to grow their business

Perth Red

Post Whore
Using that logic sky could pay the nzru half what they currently do

an extra team is valuable to sky nz
The nzru deal doubled on the previous one based on the competition from spark, that no longer exists. I suspect both the nz nrl and nzru deals will be smaller come next deals

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
There’s an argument that $80milln a year for the countries top sport is undervalued, that’s what happens when there’s no competition.
It was 95 million wasn’t it plus they got 5 percent equity in sky nz but their shares have collapsed in value

Perth Red

Post Whore
Obviously you didn’t get my point

6 pm is already covered by other nrl clubs

the fact Perth can host it during the day vs twilight elsewhere is irrelevant
No,it’s not, it means better crowds and a better game usually. It also means every other week other clubs don’t have to be playing at home in another fan unfriendly spot.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It was 95 million wasn’t it plus they got 5 percent equity in sky nz but their shares have collapsed in value
Depends which article you read, some have it at $400 some $500 none suggested that includes or excludes the $20mill value of the 5% shares in sky nz.

either way it’s a massive uplift on the previous ru deal due to spark. like our uplift with them. No spark no significant uplift, no matter how many nz clubs nrl admits.

Wb1234

Referee
No,it’s not, it means better crowds and a better game usually. It also means every other week other clubs don’t have to be playing at home in another fan unfriendly spot.
Scrape scrape

this is why networks aren’t keen on Perth they don’t offer much to them

the most you could say is even if broadcasters have little value in them Initially ten years down the track they will have added some real value and added to the perception of a national comp

it’s a case of waiting a long time though for the payoff unlike the dolphins or similar

Perth Red

Post Whore
Scrape scrape

this is why networks aren’t keen on Perth they don’t offer much to them

the most you could say is even if broadcasters have little value in them Initially ten years down the track they will have added some real value and added to the perception of a national comp

it’s a case of waiting a long time though for the payoff unlike the dolphins or similar
* in my opinion

between perth, Wellington or Port Moresby my moneys on perth being the preferred choice for Australian networks!

reality is a ninth game will need a new time slot. it’s either Sunday 6pm or Monday night. The odds are Sunday night. Perth provides the perfect location for that slot. Bigger crowds, better footy and scenic sunsetting over the backdrop of the city. We got this lol

Wb1234

Referee
Y
* in my opinion

between perth, Wellington or Port Moresby my moneys on perth being the preferred choice for Australian networks!

reality is a ninth game will need a new time slot. it’s either Sunday 6pm or Monday night. The odds are Sunday night. Perth provides the perfect location for that slot. Bigger crowds, better footy and scenic sunsetting over the backdrop of the city. We got this lol
You know the new team doesn’t actually have to play in the new timeslot yeh ?

impact on the next tv deal won’t be deciding the next team in. The dolphins will be doing that

the ninth game will be worth pretty much the same out of the 3 contenders to Australian tv

Perth Red

Post Whore
Y

You know the new team doesn’t actually have to play in the new timeslot yeh ?

impact on the next tv deal won’t be deciding the next team in. The dolphins will be doing that

the ninth game will be worth pretty much the same out of the 3 contenders to Australian tv
Maybe, but that’s suggesting there’s no value add to Australian tv of adding an australian capital city with 2.2million people in it.
Or any disadvantage to them of Having anew club from another country with the added problem of production that doesn’t draw well In australia.

ps Politis disagrees With you.

Wb1234

Referee
Maybe, but that’s suggesting there’s no value add to Australian tv of adding an australian capital city with 2.2million people in it.
Or any disadvantage to them of Having anew club from another country with the added problem of production that doesn’t draw well In australia.

ps Politis disagrees With you.
I didn’t say they have no value I said little value initially

and there’s also benefits for sponsors from being more National

but in terms of Australian tv my point stands all 3 are marginal propositions with Perth slightly better than the rest

the ninth game plus the dolphins plus the other extra content is why the aust tv deal gets a big increase

not because Perth png or nz2 go up (nz tv will go up with nz2)

Bukowski

Juniors

but in terms of Australian tv my point stands all 3 are marginal propositions with Perth slightly better than the rest

the ninth game plus the dolphins plus the other extra content is why the aust tv deal gets a big increase

Now you have perth as better than the rest. Lol

flippikat

Bench
Depends which article you read, some have it at $400 some $500 none suggested that includes or excludes the $20mill value of the 5% shares in sky nz.

either way it’s a massive uplift on the previous ru deal due to spark. like our uplift with them. No spark no significant uplift, no matter how many nz clubs nrl admits.
Exactly. Sky only have to pay enough to make any deal "just out of reach" for TVNZ & TV3

Most importantly TV3 because if TVNZ get into a bidding war for sports rights there'll be cries over here of it "Wasting taxpayers money" even if the money is coming from ad revenue.

Thing is, TV3's owners Discovery have shown little interest in a bidding war with Sky for sports rights.. and seem happy to just get whatever they can get as a spinoff FTA deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore

So you agree perth would be the favourite for the tv companies out of the realistic choices for club 18, glad we got there in The end lol

nope the big increase will only come if there’s competition for the rights.

my guess would be $450mill if no serious competition. Anywhere from $500-600mill if there are two or more serious bidders. We’ve seen ch9 have no appetite for increasing just for fta and fox will screw us any way they can as they have done for last 30 years.

Vee

First Grade
People say Perth brings an extra time slot which is kinda bs

which tineslot do they bring that isn’t already being met by other club

the warriors do bc not many clubs want to play midday on Sunday

Sunday 5pm (WA) - 7pm EST

Wb1234

Referee
So you agree perth would be the favourite for the tv companies out of the realistic choices for club 18, glad we got there in The end lol

nope the big increase will only come if there’s competition for the rights.

my guess would be $450mill if no serious competition. Anywhere from $500-600mill if there are two or more serious bidders. We’ve seen ch9 have no appetite for increasing just for fta and fox will screw us any way they can as they have done for last 30 years.
No only brisbane jets would make both fox and nine pay a lot more

450 million lmao

550 is a pass mark

Latest posts