What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
But, SE Asia isn't in NSW or Qld???

Would require effort, this is something the NRL has shown reluctance to give unfortunately

Vlandys might mention it to the media off handedly though, so it'll give a month of press until the next idea comes along, then never happen
We were waiting for John ribot to keep his promise and make rugby league big in China but sadly that was just hype
Problem with that is it will continue to restrict expansion to NSW or Qlnd only. It’s not currently financially viable to run a second grade club without pokie or NRL club funding.
great way for a new club to get ready

almost like your p and r which you love

Problem with that is it will continue to restrict expansion to NSW or Qlnd only. Its not currently financially viable to run a second grade club without pokie or NRL club funding.

Obviously it isnt a hard rule, But i think it is a reasonable request for NZ/Perth/etc.

If Aukland, Port Morsby and Fiji can manage it, surely a committed NRL bid could as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Obviously it isnt a hard rule, But i think it is a reasonable request for NZ/Perth/etc.

If Aukland, Port Morsby and Fiji can manage it, surely a committed NRL bid could as well.
Like i said its not financially viable without pokie funding or NRL club support. Fiji arent in NSW cup, PNG are in Qlnd cup only because the NRL and Govt is funding it, Auckland has the funding and player pool of the Warriors. Without a pokie den or an NRl club already linked then perth, Adelaide, or anywhere else isnt joining NSw or qlnd cup.

The second tier is not set up for it, its a pseudo reserve grade and cannot generate revenue to support a club needing $2-3million a year revenue juts to get smashed every week because all the good players are signing for clubs with direct NRl pathways.

And Burleigh has been a feeder club for the Titans since their inception, so not sure what you think would have been any different??

I think there is value in the institutional experience of running the small operation and expanding later.

Dont forget that Searle’s mismanagement sent the club broke. Often the experience seems to team clubs how not to f*k things up too badly.

a good little additional value is also the brands history. The dolphins feel like an established brand that I just hadnt heard of, the Titans felt very new (thats not a good thing)

Canard

Immortal
I think there is value in the institutional experience of running the small operation and expanding later.

Dont forget that Searle’s mismanagement sent the club broke. Often the experience seems to team clubs how not to f*k things up too badly.

a good little additional value is also the brands history. The dolphins feel like an established brand that I just hadnt heard of, the Titans felt very new (thats not a good thing)

The Bears had nothing like the history or asset's the Dolphins had.

The Storm is a good comparison. We went there is 1998 with almost zero interest, and built the fan-base one fan at a time (the Storm Clouds book is a great read on this. The club would literally go door to door in the suburbs with the most Kiwi expats and try to sell memberships/tickets). Now there are one of the most valuable clubs in the comp.

Some of the cities in SE asia could unlock some unimaginable TV deals/ sponsorships and the region is close enough to just extend the NRL.

I was a teacher in China years back and some of those kids today are enormous (Shows what a decent diet can do for your health) so the potential is there. Get the NRL into the region and use that as the flagship to drive participation and interest
There's plenty of Australians, New Zealanders, Brits and Polynesians in Singapore. A Singaporean NRL club could tap into this community.

The growing rugby union community would also be a good target. A Polynesian rugby union club called Asia Pacific Dragons is based in Singapore.

Melbourne had a rugby union scene similar to Singapore's back in 1998.

The only way the NRL will increase its revenue stream from sponsorship and broadcast rights is by expanding into large metropolitan regions. Brisbane 3, Perth and Singapore will make the game richer and stronger.

I've been advocating for expansion into Singapore for quite some time. I've copped a lot of shit from braindead trolls who think we need more teams in Sydney. They'll probably target you next, but don't like the morons get you down. Just put them on ignore.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's plenty of Australians, New Zealanders, Brits and Polynesians in Singapore. A Singaporean NRL club could tap into this community.

The growing rugby union community would also be a good target. A Polynesian rugby union club called Asia Pacific Dragons is based in Singapore.

The only way the NRL will increase its revenue stream from sponsorship and broadcast rights is by expanding into large metropolitan regions. Brisbane 3, Perth and Singapore will make the game richer and stronger.

I've been advocating for expansion into Singapore for quite some time. I've copped a lot of shit from braindead trolls who think we need more teams in Sydney. They'll probably target you next, but don't like the morons get you down. Just put them on ignore.
Would be my fave away game. As close as Sydney, on same time zone. Be great for me lol

jim_57

Staff member
Fiji??

The Hunters survive on Australian government funding only.

Kaiviti Silktails are in Ron Massey Cup. Their plan is/was to get to NSW Cup but their results aren’t exactly backing it up at the moment. They have had a reasonable amount of players signed to other NSW/QLD Cup sides in their short existence.

jim_57

Staff member

No chance Perth, Christchurch/Wellington would do it until they won the bid. Even then they’d probably be better just partnering with an existing club than trying to set up a reserve grade team for a couple years. Very few of those players would get an NRL contract, like we saw with Redcliffe.

It would make more sense to look in to a club in those comps after their NRL team is established.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No chance Perth, Christchurch/Wellington would do it until they won the bid. Even then they’d probably be better just partnering with an existing club than trying to set up a reserve grade team for a couple years. Very few of those players would get an NRL contract, like we saw with Redcliffe.

It would make more sense to look in to a club in those comps after their NRL team is established.
In an ideal world NRL would have a strategy that would see a 5 year development and funding plan for a new club entering that isnt an established NSW or qlnd cup club. U18's first then U20's then a reserve grade then first team launch. That way the club is developing 16/17 year olds to be ready for first grade at launch or with in a year or two of launch

But NRL and strategy are strange bed fellows

Perth Red

Post Whore
Kaiviti Silktails are in Ron Massey Cup. Their plan is/was to get to NSW Cup but their results aren’t exactly backing it up at the moment. They have had a reasonable amount of players signed to other NSW/QLD Cup sides in their short existence.
yeh funded by Australian govt

Like i said its not financially viable without pokie funding or NRL club support. Fiji arent in NSW cup,

Still running a local team in a NSW comp

PNG are in Qlnd cup only because the NRL and Govt is funding it,

So they have good government connections and they are able to effectively ise the resources they have effectively enough to keep getting more funding

Auckland has the funding and player pool of the Warriors.

fair point, still shows they are able to organise their sh*t

Would be my fave away game. As close as Sydney, on same time zone. Be great for me lol
Singapore is a beautiful city with amazing architecture. I'd love to visit its botanical gardens. There's a family of Australian swans living there.

Adding Singapore to the rugby league universe would be great for the game.

Canard

Immortal

It's an ill conceived pie in the sky idea, and no amount of sock puppets purporting to support makes it any more feasible.

It shows you have no understanding of the city's culture or climate

The Great Dane

First Grade
Ive personally come around on the idea of promoting Reserve grade operations (I think the Dolphins hit the right balance with the soft rebrand)

It means we have the operations in place and we just look to expand (rather than going from 0 to 100 in one go). I do wonder how the Titans would have gone if we gave the licence to Burleigh or Logan instead of Searle (or required Searle to launch a reserve side a few years in advance)
That's nice and all, but it's got nothing to do with what I said lol.

I was proposing that the NRL own and operate the second NZ side in the NRL premiership for themselves. That would give them direct control over the direction of the club, and make sure that it's well supported.

In other words they should manufacture the club for themselves like the AFL and other leagues around the world have manufactured clubs to fill markets in the past, then sell it to private owners once it's established. Basically the exact opposite of what you're proposing lol.

BTW, it's only a matter or time before the Dolphins are underperforming compared to the potential that was in Brisbane for a second NRL side, just like the Titans were very successful initially then fell away, and I'm going to laugh my arse off when it happens. RL never learns.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Still running a local team in a NSW comp

So they have good government connections and they are able to effectively ise the resources they have effectively enough to keep getting more funding

fair point, still shows they are able to organise their sh*t
No it's football politics bordering on sportswashing, and it won't last.

Running independent NSW and Qld Cup sides is a loss making enterprise, and you're not going to see second tier semi-pro sides popping up all over joint until that changes.

It's not going to change anytime soon either because PVL has made it a personal crusade to try and turn the NSW cup into a glorified reserve grade for the appeasement of a handful of boomers in Sydney.

MugaB

Coach

Ignore this you 20230210_130548.jpg
POTATO

Latest posts