What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
He did say it would have the capacity to have a Metro station there, there is no station planned for the SFS but it could be added, i think that what the erotic gamer was alluding to.
The metro west line is being built with the ability to be extended to the Moore park precinct. The SCG trust want it to be a part of the line from day 1.

Tigers have a real issue.
I used to live in Campbelltown and now live in the Balmain area.
From my experience, Tigers fans from the South-West don't travel into Leichhardt games. Fans from the Inner West don't travel out to Campbelltown games. In fact from what I can see around where I live is that no one really gives a shit about the Tigers unless there is a game on at Leichhardt. There are some diehard supporters who get into the (numerous) pubs to watch the games, but I see more people walking around in Swans gear going to the SCG in Balmain/Rozelle these days than in Tigers gear heading out to Campbelltown.

Homebush seemed like a reasonable option for both sets of fans to get to, but no one likes it out there.

Campbelltown never really gets great crowds, but they never got 'premier' games there. Always Canberra, Cowboys, Knights, Titans. Rarely any big Sydney derbys, they were always saved for Homebush or Leichhardt. I haven't seen Parra play there since 1999, and there are heaps of Parra fans out in the area. Same with Souths. Never really got a fair go.

The bullshit about Leichhardt being the 'spiritual home' and the '8th wonder of the world' is just that - bullshit. I was there last Saturday night. I went to get a beer 10 minutes before halftime. I got back to my seat just before the second half kickoff. That is not how 21st century fans of a professional sporting league should be treated.
Love Leichhardt oval but would not want my team playing out of there. Nostalgia is a hindrance to progress

Pneuma

First Grade
Tigers have a real issue.
I used to live in Campbelltown and now live in the Balmain area.
From my experience, Tigers fans from the South-West don't travel into Leichhardt games. Fans from the Inner West don't travel out to Campbelltown games. In fact from what I can see around where I live is that no one really gives a shit about the Tigers unless there is a game on at Leichhardt. There are some diehard supporters who get into the (numerous) pubs to watch the games, but I see more people walking around in Swans gear going to the SCG in Balmain/Rozelle these days than in Tigers gear heading out to Campbelltown.

Homebush seemed like a reasonable option for both sets of fans to get to, but no one likes it out there.

Campbelltown never really gets great crowds, but they never got 'premier' games there. Always Canberra, Cowboys, Knights, Titans. Rarely any big Sydney derbys, they were always saved for Homebush or Leichhardt. I haven't seen Parra play there since 1999, and there are heaps of Parra fans out in the area. Same with Souths. Never really got a fair go.

The bullshit about Leichhardt being the 'spiritual home' and the '8th wonder of the world' is just that - bullshit. I was there last Saturday night. I went to get a beer 10 minutes before halftime. I got back to my seat just before the second half kickoff. That is not how 21st century fans of a professional sporting league should be treated.
That was my experience a few years ago. To make matters worse it was raining. A completely overrated experience

Wb1234

Referee
It’s still a pain to get to allianz with public transport

it’s better than the walk from central to allianz

Homebush can be bad with some train lines too

In the tigers the club has a poor identity as it is at least focusing on two regions is better than focusing on none

mergers are just stupid it should’ve been survival of the fittest

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s still a pain to get to allianz with public transport

it’s better than the walk from central to allianz

Homebush can be bad with some train lines too

In the tigers the club has a poor identity as it is at least focusing on two regions is better than focusing on none

mergers are just stupid it should’ve been survival of the fittest
People have been whinging about the bears dropping out for decades and still want to create stupid scenarios for them to be back. At least mergers avoids that!

siv

First Grade
Mate the tram is limited to the route it is on with only bus and other train connections. Hardly ideal for most families coming from all other directions throughout the greater metropolitan area.

Time is the key and convenience. If you need to make numerous connections and/or pit stops waiting for those connections while looking after the kiddies in winter at night, maybe rain or cold out, hardly ideal is it?

Or stay at home and put the kids on the lounge, order 2 or 3 pizzas and the fridge and loo are just a few feet away, hopefully not in the same place and the hassle and expense is just a bad nightmare, gone like magic at a fraction of the price.

Guess what most of Sydney does when the footy is on?

I think you know what the answer is right?

Like I keep saying, this is the 21st century, we are lazy and soft. No convenience and luxury, then no or minimal attendance only when the conditions are just right and the crowds reflect that perfectly.
Also heard the design of the SFS tram stop - one platform, makes it a dogs breakfast trying to get onto after the game, as it is servicing both directions

Fans are preferring to extra walk long distances than catch the tram

Noting that the tram stop isnt designed to service the northern SFS but the southern Fox studios

Very different to old 1960s trams that used to line up in groups of around 50 back to back on Driver Ave to ferry passengers after a game

In fact if can you walk direct to central faster than walk to the tram and wait to get on after a game

siv

First Grade
People have been whinging about the bears dropping out for decades and still want to create stupid scenarios for them to be back. At least mergers avoids that!
Mergers dont work

Compare St Merge and Wests-Tigers constant internal bickering situation to the powerhouses of Souths and Easts who chose not to merge

Evan Manly are a much stronger brand than the old Northern Eagles

Many venues had a mid 70s upgrade. All of those venues need a revamp that havnt had one for recently

Leichhardt and Brooky need their main western stands enlarged and rebuilt. I would do those fixes before touching the hills

Wests Tigers will go back to the future by axing its big-stadium strategy for a shock return to suburban ground football — and the club will seek private investors to save dilapidated Leichhardt Oval.

The Tigers plan to dump playing games at Accor Stadium and CommBank Stadium next season for a full-time return to Leichhardt and Campbelltown Stadium, the club’s traditional home grounds. The club is also desperate to secure funding to upgrade Leichhardt Oval, and is now looking to private equity after the previous state government reneged on a handshake funding agreement.

The major development comes after Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis last year said that “by the end of 2023 there will be no further elite sports played” at Leichhardt Oval unless funding is provided. It will be wonderful news for Wests Tigers fans, coming after they crammed the famous old ground to cheer on a 66-18 win over North Queensland on Saturday night.

LOCKING UP THE HOME FRONT

A plan, expected to be ratified by the club’s board, would see five games each played at Leichhardt and Campbelltown from next season. A Magic Round home match would be contested in Brisbane next year with another to be played at the club’s rural partner, Tamworth.

Wests Tigers’ move comes amid an ongoing push for major sporting franchises to ditch suburban grounds for high-capacity arenas. Tigers officials know the move would cost the club financially.

“Leichhardt and Campbelltown stadiums are woven into the fabric of Wests Tigers. We figure, moving forward, they will be our predominant, if not dominant home grounds,” Hagipantelis said. “We would be looking at playing almost all of our home games at Campbelltown and Leichhardt, perhaps from next year. That would (mean) moving away from CommBank and Accor."

“We take one game to Tamworth and have a home game next year at Magic Round so we could be looking at a five-five (game) split (between Leichhardt and Campbelltown). The club may even cost itself money by avoiding these larger stadiums but our focus is on what is in the best interests of the club and we believe that is a local stadium policy."

“I anticipate that next year this will be the programming and it will be resolved by the board in the not-too-distant future. CommBank Stadium is an incredible facility but it is not a home ground for Wests Tigers and never will be. Accor Stadium has also proven to be incredibly useful and valuable to us from an economic perspective.

“But we need to consider what’s best interests for the club, our team, NRLW and pathways programs and we truly believe those interests are best served by returning to our traditional home grounds. Our strength is in our supporter base and that stretches from the inner-west all the way to the southwest.”

PRIVATE INVESTMENT PUSH

There is a general agreement that Leichhardt and Campbelltown require a refurbishment in line with other NRL grounds – and that could mean private investment.

“We all readily acknowledge that Leichhardt needs work and it’s not of NRL standard as far as change rooms and corporate facilities,” Hagipantelis said. "There was, of course, a promise of $50m which the Government reneged on and, unfortunately, there isn’t an election – state or Federal – for quite some time so it will be difficult for us to bring any pressure to bear on government to fund any upgrade to Leichhardt Oval."
“But we are in earnest discussions with council – Campbelltown, Liverpool and the Inner-West – about what can be done to raise funding and we are prepared to explore all options, including private equity into the stadiums, if available, to help fund refurbishments of those stadiums.
“We would even be open, and in fact encourage, private equity. We’re exploring those opportunities; investors who are prepared to invest in the redevelopment of a stadium for a return on that investment whereby they would have an equitable holding in those facilities, an ownership share."
“There would be some arrangement made where they receive a return on their investment as a joint venture with council, who are open to discuss the opportunity but there would be a detailed and lengthy process to get through from a council perspective."
“I can’t envisage any scenario where Wests Tigers will not play at Leichhardt Oval in the future. Leichhardt Oval is an institution and it will always figure largely in the Wests Tigers calendar so the suggestion we will never play another game there has got no basis or merit whatsoever.”
MAN BEHIND LEICHHARDT SCOREBOARD
He was the busiest man in Sydney on Saturday night but Big Baz wouldn’t have had it any other way.
Barry Maguire, 59, is the much-loved scoreboard attendant at his treasured Leichhardt Oval.
Given Leichhardt’s famous old scoreboard is manual, Maguire was flat out on Saturday evening as his Wests Tigers posted 11 exhilarating tries, and 11 goals, in a historic 66-18 rout of North Queensland.

Maguire — nicknamed Big Baz — has been working inside the dark and cramped Leichhardt Oval scoreboard — located behind the Wayne Pearce Hill — for 23 years. He is a Leichhardt institution.

“Saturday was the best night I have ever been involved with at Leichhardt Oval,” Maguire said. “The crowd there was absolutely unbelievable. Each time I went to put up a score they started roaring (in anticipation). We want 40, we want 50, we want 60 – it just kept going and going. Normally I’m copping it from the opposition fans because we’re getting flogged."

“The scoreboard inside is tiny and dark but, mate, I wouldn’t want to be in any other place. It couldn’t have been a better night. It was sensational. Everyone always says to me that I have the best seat in the house and truly it is, especially at night, all the people in front of the hill, unbelievable, mate. You can feel the atmosphere.”

Maguire was born and bred in Balmain but now lives in Warwick Farm and works for Doors Depot in Smithfield.

His good mate, Tigers legend Steve ‘Blocker’ Roach, added: “Baz’s fingernails would have nearly fallen off putting the scores up. He is a champion, salt of the earth. He’s a mad Tigers supporter. He has been around the club as long as I can remember.”

Last week, Maguire was given life membership of the Balmain Tigers. Sadly for Maguire, Wests Tigers won’t play another game at Leichhardt Oval this season.

Oh f*ck off….

In the same breathe, they say “LO is not up to standard … we are playing here full time! Yay”

I thought the Balmain faction died when the LC went to shit, what happened?

Wb1234

Referee
The existing Sydney Olympic Park rail line will stay once the Metro station opens?
I meant getting a train to Olympic park itself
Lots of people have to go to central and change

at least people in the inner west don’t have to go to lidcombe now and change back to get to Olympic park

Jonno

Juniors
Im just wondering if both the current heavy rail line and the metro will be operating at Sydney Olympic Park at the same time or will they eventually close the heavy rail link?

Wb1234

Referee
Im just wondering if both the current heavy rail line and the metro will be operating at Sydney Olympic Park at the same time or will they eventually close the heavy rail link?
Nah

the light rail should’ve just linked to existing train station not run along it

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mergers dont work

Compare St Merge and Wests-Tigers constant internal bickering situation to the powerhouses of Souths and Easts who chose not to merge

Many venues had a mid 70s upgrade. All of those venues need a revamp that havnt had one for recently

Leichhardt and Brooky need their main western stands enlarged and rebuilt. I would do those fixes before touching the hills
arguable. It worked for at least one of them, otherwise theyd just be a feeder club like Bears, longing for a fairytale return to the big time, constant media nostalgia about bringing them back.

Both mergers have won a comp since and both are financially viable. If the Tigers and Dragons can ever get it together on the field they could both be Sydney powerhouses, especially if they stop making stupid decisions about where to play games.

LO, Campbelltown, Shark park, Kogorah, Brookvale. None are really fit for NRL in 2023 and beyond and unless they are getting a full or substantial rebuild shouldnt have tax payers money wasted on them, imo.

wazdog

Juniors
Mergers dont work

I think the Tigers is a strong brand, however, when you look at the jersey they have:
- Wests Tigers logo on the chest
- Old Magpies logo on the upper side of each sleeve
- Old Magpies and Balmain logos on the back

To me that really brings to life the factions that still exist in the club.

IMO they should just have the current Wests Tigers logo on the front and represent tradition and their past with the home jersey for LO being mainly orange (Tigers), the home jersey for Campbeltown being mainly black Magpies) and a white based jersey for away.

Latest posts