What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
That's nice and all, but it's got nothing to do with what I said lol.

I was proposing that the NRL own and operate the second NZ side in the NRL premiership for themselves. That would give them direct control over the direction of the club, and make sure that it's well supported.

In other words they should manufacture the club for themselves like the AFL and other leagues around the world have manufactured clubs to fill markets in the past, then sell it to private owners once it's established. Basically the exact opposite of what you're proposing lol.

BTW, it's only a matter or time before the Dolphins are underperforming compared to the potential that was in Brisbane for a second NRL side, just like the Titans were very successful initially then fell away, and I'm going to laugh my arse off when it happens. RL never learns.
When has the nrl ever owned a club other than when they went broke

the conflicts of interest alone would be worse than when news ltd owned half the game and approved the tv deals they signed

Wb1234

Referee
In an ideal world NRL would have a strategy that would see a 5 year development and funding plan for a new club entering that isnt an established NSW or qlnd cup club. U18's first then U20's then a reserve grade then first team launch. That way the club is developing 16/17 year olds to be ready for first grade at launch or with in a year or two of launch

But NRL and strategy are strange bed fellows
That’s up to bidders to fund

Perth had no issues before paying for a side (can’t remember which junior comp it played in)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Still running a local team in a NSW comp

So they have good government connections and they are able to effectively ise the resources they have effectively enough to keep getting more funding

fair point, still shows they are able to organise their sh*t
Fiji are in nsw Comp only because the Australian govt is funding them. And on,y because the govt has a pacific strategy.

my point stands, no one’s running a second tier club unless they have a pokie den, govt or nrl club funding it. simply is t viable for a stand alone club to be in a comp that doesn’t generate revenue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s up to bidders to fund

Perth had no issues before paying for a side (can’t remember which junior comp it played in)
Big difference between cumins putting in $400k a year to support jnr development and expecting someone to pump in millions a year without any guarantee that it’s leading somewhere. Literally no one does that.

Wb1234

Referee
Big difference between cumins putting in $400k a year to support jnr development and expecting someone to pump in millions a year without any guarantee that it’s leading somewhere. Literally no one does that
Fiji are in nsw Comp only because the Australian govt is funding them. And on,y because the govt has a pacific strategy.

my point stands, no one’s running a second tier club unless they have a pokie den, govt or nrl club funding it. simply is t viable for a stand alone club to be in a comp that doesn’t generate revenue.
The aust govt has a pacific strategy you say

hmm I wonder how this will affect expansion of the nrl

shame the govt don’t have an Indian Ocean strategy lmao

The Great Dane

First Grade
When has the nrl ever owned a club other than when they went broke

the conflicts of interest alone would be worse than when news ltd owned half the game and approved the tv deals they signed
The NRL's never done it, but it's not unusual in the industry. The AFL for example owns five of it's clubs; Swans, Giants, Suns, Crows, and Power.

They also wouldn't run it directly, they'd create a subsidiary to run it independently of the head office, and ideally sell that subsidiary to private owners once the business is established.

Last edited:
It's an ill conceived pie in the sky idea, and no amount of sock puppets purporting to support makes it any more feasible.

It shows you have no understanding of the city's culture or climate

Do you live there? Even if you do, do you intimately know every suburb?

You sound pretty confident in making a sweeping generalisation about a city of 5mil and a region of 20mil.

“Nah, none if them are interested…”

It's an ill conceived pie in the sky idea, and no amount of sock puppets purporting to support makes it any more feasible.

It shows you have no understanding of the city's culture or climate
I'm well aware of Singapore's climate. It's one degrees north of the equator.

So what?

It doesn't stop rugby union and soccer from being played in Singapore, does it?

It's f**ken ironic that you're advocating against a team from Singapore because it's in the tropics.

You do realise that Townsville is located in the tropics, right?

Townsville is cooler than Singapore during the middle of the year, but it's still much hotter than Sydney. I've seen braindead fans of Sydney clubs demand the Cowboys be kicked out for being in the tropics.

Singapore has a beautiful indoor stadium to mitigate the humidity, so your argument has no validity.

You say Singapore's culture is not conducive to supporting a rugby league team. The exact same f**ken argument was used against expanding into Melbourne during the 1990s.

You talk about "pie in the sky" ideas, yet you want a team in Adelaide before Brisbane 3. Adelaide is a small-sized, dyed in the wool fumbleball city with few expatriates from Queensland and New South Wales. An argument can be made that Adelaide is more parochial in its support for fumbleball than Melbourne. You're going to see a third team in Brisbane long before Adelaide is considered as a candidate for expansion.

Just admit you don't have a clue and give it up. First you said rugby union made "zero traction". I refuted that claim by showing you the strong junior rugby union scene from U5s to U17s. You then diverted attention to seniors. @Perth Red and I showed you that the country has strong men's and women's national competitions. Now you're shifting the goalposts to climate and culture.

The Cowboys' bid in 1992 was well behind Brisbane 2, Perth and Auckland. It had no stadium that was up to ARL standard. The only reason they got in was because Arthurson agreed to let all four bids in at once.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach

So what?

It's f**ken ironic that you're advocating against a team from Singapore because it's in the tropics.

Townsville is cooler than Singapore during the middle of the year, but it's still much hotter than Sydney. I've seen braindead fans of Sydney clubs demand the Cowboys be kicked out for being in the tropics.

Singapore has a beautiful indoor stadium to mitigate the humidity, so your argument has no validity.

You say Singapore's culture is not conducive to supporting a rugby league team. The exact same f**ken argument was used against expanding into Melbourne during the 1990s.

You talk about "pie in the sky" ideas, yet you want a team in Adelaide before Brisbane 3. Adelaide is a small-sized, dyed in the wool fumbleball city with few expatriates from Queensland and New South Wales. An argument can be made that Adelaide is more parochial in its support for fumbleball than Melbourne. You're going to see a third team in Brisbane long before Adelaide is considered as a candidate for expansion.

Just admit you don't have a clue and give it up. First you said rugby union made "zero traction". I refuted that claim by showing you the strong junior rugby union scene from U5s to U17s. You then diverted attention to seniors. @Perth Red and I showed you that the country has strong men's and women's national competitions. Now you're shifting the goalposts to climate and culture.

The Cowboys' bid in 1992 was well behind Brisbane 2, Perth and Auckland. It had no stadium that was up to ARL standard. The only reason they got in was because Arthurson agreed to let all four bids in at once.
Potato posturing....
No one has ever said the cowboys should be kicked out for being in "the tropics" more evening games would be better in the early months of the season though, through better sheduling should be the go tho

Canard

Immortal

So what?

Clearly you've never been to either Townsville or Singapore, if you think their climates are similar.

Singapore's humidity is oppressive (regulary in the high 80s), Townsville is positively temperate in comparison.

The "indoor" stadium doesn't remove any humidity issues, its just a roofed dome, thats unlikely to be suddenly available for 12 games of NRL.

A dozen or so amateur Union teams involving ex-pat Kiwis, Saffas and Aussies is NOT the same running a professional sporting team. Union has zero traction in terms of cultural support and media interest.

The NRL barely averages 17k in Australia, and you want to expand to a country that is 8 hours flight time from Sydney, what will have zero corporate support, zero government backing, zero local interest, zero potential junior development and rely solely on NRL backing, and relocating current NRL players.

The logistics don't stack up in anyway, its a ridiculous pie in the sky idea, and this would be an endless money pit.

Any Australian capital city is going to be a way more sustainable expansion location than South East Asia on all criteria.

What the f**k does this have to do with anything under discussion here?

Clearly you've never been to either Townsville or Singapore, if you think their climates are similar.

Singapore's humidity is oppressive (regulary in the high 80s), Townsville is positively temperate in comparison.

Townsville is not temperate.

The "oppressive" humidity doesn't stop soccer and rugby union from being played in Singapore.

The "indoor" stadium doesn't remove any humidity issues, its just a roofed dome, thats unlikely to be suddenly available for 12 games of NRL.

What evidence do you have that Singapore's world class stadium wouldn't be able to accommodate 12 NRL games?

A dozen or so amateur Union teams involving ex-pat Kiwis, Saffas and Aussies is NOT the same running a professional sporting team. Union has zero traction in terms of cultural support and media interest.

It has enough cultural traction to entice local children from 5 and up to actually play the game!

That's something Melbourne and Adelaide have struggled to do.

You wouldn't have a clue about the media and culture of Singapore.

The NRL barely averages 17k in Australia, and you want to expand to a country that is 8 hours flight time from Sydney, what will have zero corporate support, zero government backing, zero local interest, zero potential junior development and rely solely on NRL backing, and relocating current NRL players.

There's more money in Singapore than Sydney. You cannot say there would be zero corporate support from the Singaporean business sector. That's just your narrow-minded opinion.

Ironically, there are Sydney clubs who struggle to gather support from the corporate sector. You want all of them to stay in the NRL. I've shown you the financial reports. Stop playing dumb.

Rugby union has proven it is possible to get kids and adults in Singapore to play their game. There's no reason rugby league cannot do the same.

Melbourne still relies on expatriates to play rugby league. It hasn't stopped the Storm from putting most Sydney clubs to shame in an overcrowded landscape that didn't know the difference between rugby league and rugby union before 1998.

The logistics don't stack up in anyway, its a ridiculous pie in the sky idea, and this would be an endless money pit.

It's an 8 hour flight. Far better than travelling to Las Vegas.

Are you scared that the Cowboys would struggle to recruit talent if there's a team in Singapore?

In another post you said a third Brisbane team would kill the Cowboys. I think you're just fear mongering because you have an irrational fear of expansion hurting the Cowboys.

Any Australian capital city is going to be a way more sustainable expansion location than South East Asia on all criteria.

All of the criticisms you've levelled at Singapore apply more to Melbourne, yet we have a successful team there. Bugger all white kids in Victoria play the game. The only people who do play it are expatriates. Rugby league had zero traction in Melbourne's media and culture before 1998. News Ltd and ARL had to bankroll the Storm for 20 years. News Ltd had to bankroll Cowboys and Reds at one stage.

What the f**k does this have to do with anything under discussion here?

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. It's a miracle that the Cowboys gained admission at all and survived in the 1990s. They're now the second biggest rugby league club in the world, generating more revenue from football operations than every club bar Broncos. If naysayers like you got their way then the Cowboys never would have gained admission in the ARL. Stop being so bloody negative and drop the hysterical fearmongering.