What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
The game is growing but there is a limit to Australia.

Take TV money. You have maybe 20% of the country that likes sport. That is 4 million people.

From that depending on where they are born cricket or soccer are likely to be 1st choice. So they subscribe to optus etc.

So it will get to the stage where the local market hits the wall, If you can counter that with external money that allows the sport to continue growing.

The aim and hope is to make money on that. If that $200m turns in to $300m over that time and keeps making money longer term then it is money well spent
Disagree, our tv rights are 50% under valued. Increase the games footprint and following in australia and there’s $150mill ayear!
International rl is a massive undervalued revenue stream
SL v nrl club competitions
more events to sell

weve plenty of revenue growth in australia and nz yet

how many hundreds of millions get spent gambling on nrl in aus? Nrl gets a return of around $40mill a year on that. How much realistically do you think the American market will be?

Pneuma

First Grade
Disagree, our tv rights are 50% under valued. Increase the games footprint and following in australia and there’s $150mill ayear!
more events to sell

how many hundreds of millions get spent gambling on nrl in aus? Nrl gets a return of around $40mill a year on that. How much realistically do you think the American market will be?
Whinge whinge whinge. It never ever ends.

Wb1234

Referee
So PVL is trying something to get a new revenue stream & the same anti PVL poster just keeps ranting with his anti PVL agenda.
Is he worried that PVL might succeed where his beloved leader failed badly in CHINA .
Smell the fear
Exactly afl had a crack at nz and China and failed miserably

heck they tried afl on a rectangular field another spectacular failure

this venture in america will be a success it’s not afl they will be watching

Personally I just look at a venture into the US market this way:
If you're going to do it, do it full on.
Do not be half arsed about it. Commit and keep that commitment.
Do not turn around after year 1 or 2, keep going until the 5 is up. If it fails so be it, you've had a real shot. But if it does succeed then the world has opened up in a way that others would only dream.
Over there they have no concept between "Rugbys".
Let's make them see what we are:
"RFL" - RUGBY FECKING LEAGUE.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I think one of the things we have going for us in this venture is that it pretty neatly dovetails in with the end of the NFL season. We all know, or certainly I do, what a hole in my life the end of the NRL season leaves, I`ve no doubt there is a lot of NFL supporters who have the same feeling craving for their contact sport fix.
Now whether a one-off double header is enough to engage enough American fans to make it worthwhile is certainly debatable. But making it for five years is a start, and if they can turn into some sort of Australian extravaganza ( much gnashing of teeth at fumbleball house at this one) then who knows.

taipan

Referee
On the first part we’ve been over those excuses ad nauseum. The afl has traditionally had around 10-15% larger tv deal than nrl, with more nrl content and a supposedly valuable second brisbane side he managed to allow them to widen that gap to nearer 40% in 2025!

yeh by all means take risks, but one’s that actually are likely to grow the game. if this does anything to grow the game I’ll happily eat my hat. but yeh let’s pss away the games money whilst slashing grass roots funding and still having a pathetic asset base despite billions of $’s revenue in last ten years, because you never know.……..
Until such time as you and I agree that both codes are different in terms of Tv ad revenue due to 4 qtrs v 2 halves, we are pointing Percy and p*ssing in the wind.And number of teams/clubs.
Well there is a chance of growing the game in the biggest (or bigly sporting market) in the known universe.And your last para sums it up, you are jumping the gun by definitively saying it's p*ssing money away. You were not at the negotiations/ discussions with PVL and Aber Dabba Do and Yankee promoters/venue operators/media types .
This is not flipp'n Nauru.
Seriously mate, I'd hate to have you as point scout in a Ranger platoon in the jungle, you'd want to do the scouting from base camp as the enemy advances further.
Remember the Pommy Special services motor " Who dares wins".
I'll add another motto" Who sits on their a*se playing safe gets haemorrhoids".

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Proud Samoan man Dwayne Johnson talking about spending millions buying a fifth tier English soccer club. He would’ve been the one to marinate.
The guy knows a reasonable amount about rl ,via his Sth pacific heritage and seeing the game.Hell even the Wiggles are ell known in the Land of the Free.Head Wiggle a mad Tiger's fan.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
more events to sell

Ahh the old undervalued BS.

Where is this endless stream of money coming from? Again you have a tiny population here as such networks have limits to what they can spend

You are doing and apples v oranges comparison with AFL to come to that.

last year alone US punters spent $60 billion on sports betting. Australia is 0.5% of that that is how big the market is over there

You can watch NRL games over there, Increasing the profile increases Ratings. In turn means they pay more.

For a reference point. The 6 nations final was watched by 550k over there. No reason NRL can't get similar for big games.

such a result is adds 25% to the ratings but is a very very small % of 330 billion that live in the US.

That is why the push to play over there as has been the case ever since Souths played Leeds in 2011

Iamback

Coach
Until such time as you and I agree that both codes are different in terms of Tv ad revenue due to 4 qtrs v 2 halves, we are pointing Percy and p*ssing in the wind.And number of teams/clubs.
Well there is a chance of growing the game in the biggest (or bigly sporting market) in the known universe.And your last para sums it up, you are jumping the gun by definitively saying it's p*ssing money away. You were not at the negotiations/ discussions with PVL and Aber Dabba Do and Yankee promoters/venue operators/media types .
This is not flipp'n Nauru.
Seriously mate, I'd hate to have you as point scout in a Ranger platoon in the jungle, you'd want to do the scouting from base camp as the enemy advances further.
Remember the Pommy Special services motor " Who dares wins".
I'll add another motto" Who sits on their a*se playing safe gets haemorrhoids".

Not to mention reports are the NRL deal reported is cash only.

The A League only survives on foreign investment, Eventually BBL will take the Indian money too.

RL needs to try and get on or risk falling behind

Wb1234

Referee
Nrl deal can be worth more than afl

so Perth red is kind of right

game length is one factor favouring afl there are many others that don’t like 30 percent less ratings and no origin

afl ratings are terrible it’s not even close

Perth Red

Post Whore
Origin and audience size is in our favour. And none of what he keeps saying explains why the tv revenue gap is going from an historical 10-15% gap to around 40% gap 2 years time.

instead of wasting time and money in Vegas we should be implementing a 20team expansion strategy covering all 5 metro areas that lands us a $600 mill deal. That’s $200mill a year more than now and puts anything usa will likely deliver in the shade.
but hey what do I know

Iamback

Coach
Nrl deal can be worth more than afl

so Perth red is kind of right

game length is one factor favouring afl there are many others that don’t like 30 percent less ratings and no origin

afl ratings are terrible it’s not even close

it is closer then people realise. Will be on par when team 18 comes in BUT that is beside the point.

The small population here limits what local TV can pay. Just this week alone BEIN Sports was announced as leaving Fox/Kayo saves them millions yet the price won't drop.

This is why need to try overseas to maximise income

Origin and audience size is in our favour. And none of what he keeps saying explains why the tv revenue gap is going from an historical 10-15% gap to around 40% gap 2 years time.

instead of wasting time and money in Vegas we should be implementing a 20team expansion strategy covering all 5 metro areas that lands us a $600 mill deal. That’s $200mill a year more than now and puts anything usa will likely deliver in the shade.
but hey what do I know
So you 'guarantee' that a 20 team comp will get us 600m? You also 'guarantee' that the US adventure will be less than en expansion.
Wow.
but hey, what would you know.
I can't even guarantee if I'll live past tonight

Iamback

Coach

but hey what do I know

Again you are comparing

NRL cash only in 2024 - Add 10% contra

To AFL 2031

with Cash and contra + 20% inflation.

Most importantly

20 teams is planned by 2031, In which case the local deal has maximised AND US money is there.

Finally the game has vision and little bitches like you still aren't happy