What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Gobsmacked

Bench
Yes this is just a conspiracy to get wa to offer more lmao

the theories people come up with to keep their expansion vision alive is really funny

the article says they are pushing for 20 teams by 2032 that’s when Perth will get a team so the delay will only be a few years
I wouldn't be betting anything on a PNG side. Albo talked it up while he was there and now a chairwoman was invited along with the government for some meeting- the stuff newspapers dream of. They have a headline and filled in all the blanks - blanks being many!
Do you realise how many government meetings and press conferences we will see before this is rubber stamped?
And that's just the government side of this.
This is the equivalent of a match on tinder, doesn't translate to married and children.

Looong way to go!

And why wouldn't the NRL be chumy with government? They have to hear them out, no matter how ridiculous it is! They can't make them look stupid and turn around a month later and ask for a new stadium..
So far all this is, is good marketing and pr.

Wb1234

Referee
Ok I'll spoon feed it to you.

It won't be viable in PNG once the club loses it's government grants, which is an inevitability. So even if the Bears or Easts are involved it'll only be a matter of time before they have to find 10s of millions of dollars a season overnight, or be forced to relocate out of PNG or fold the club.

At that point you have a minor international incident no matter what happens. Do you want to be the one to tell the Papuans that you're taking their club away? It's a ticking time bomb, and the results are totally negative for the NRL.

Having another club involved and playing half or more of their games outside of PNG undermines the whole concept of a PNG side anyway. The club will just be a glorified Sydney or Brisbane club if the Bears or Easts are involved, with only a token presence in PNG that isn't intended to continue long term. In other words you're just trying to backdoor another Sydney or Brisbane club into the competition at that point.
After all your predations for the dolphins were wrong you supporting a png bid would be the kiss of death

Wb1234

Referee
I wouldn't be betting anything on a PNG side. Albo talked it up while he was there and now a chairwoman was invited along with the government for some meeting- the stuff newspapers dream of. They have a headline and filled in all the blanks - blanks being many!
Do you realise how many government meetings and press conferences we will see before this is rubber stamped?
And that's just the government side of this.
This is the equivalent of a match on tinder, doesn't translate to married and children.

Looong way to go!

And why wouldn't the NRL be chumy with government? They have to hear them out, no matter how ridiculous it is! They can't make them look stupid and turn around a month later and ask for a new stadium..
So far all this is, is good marketing and pr.
If you ignore quotes from the commission sure

vlandys said they are currently negotiating with the feds for how much money they tip in and negoatiations were commercial in confidence

Brian potter

Bench
It would be a smart move by the bears to link up with the PNG bid as it would allow them to relocate the failed venture to the central coast or maybe even back to the north Sydney oval when the government handouts runout.

Wb1234

Referee
It would be a smart move by the bears to link up with the PNG bid as it would allow them to relocate the failed venture to the central coast or maybe even back to the north Sydney oval when the government handouts runout.
Yes because listening to English fans about expansion after what they’ve done to their expansion clubs is a smart move

Brian potter

Bench
Yes because listening to English fans about expansion after what they’ve done to their expansion clubs is a smart move
I’ve never at anytime worked or had anything to do with the RFL mate.

plus RL in England is a minority sport compared to RL in Australia.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ok I’ll spoon food you

I said it won’t matter they will be financially viable by then

then I told you why because norths or Brisbane tigers will be joining the bid
lol yeh I'm sure they will. Didnt Vlandys just say the PNG bid team will own the club?

Federal funding for a PNG NRL franchise would be a hostage to fortune. It could be cited, or a threat to end it could be leveraged, in any negotiations about public investment in RL stadia, facilities, participation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I thought the png talk was all just the usual Vlandys hot air and news ltd sensationalism but last weeks article seems to suggest they are actually serious!
Now if it is a massive bluff, which will ultimately make the NRL and Govt look very stupid if they dont bring them in, or if they are actually serious remains to be seen. I have no idea what the Perth comment was in it, why it was there or if just another Vlandys brain fart in the moment comment. The next 12 months are going to be intersting!

Perth Red

Post Whore
1900s

go and read tony collins book

rugby league squandered much of the north by sticking to its patch

Heck london was getting crowds of up to 30k for games
Not strictly speaking true, Rugby was the main sport in the late 1800's with a number of rugby clubs including sale, salford and manchester playing union.
but the great split and the decision by the Manchester clubs (salford excepted) to remain an amateur union club rather than join the Northern Union weakened the game in Manchester, then by 1900 when football started to develop and grow the two football clubs in Manchester joined the new national comp and that was all she wrote.

Im not sure you can lay any of that at the feet of the RFL lol

Wb1234

Referee
Not strictly speaking true, Rugby was the main sport in the late 1800's with a number of rugby clubs including sale, salford and manchester playing union.
but the great split and the decision by the Manchester clubs (salford excepted) to remain an amateur union club rather than join the Northern Union weakened the game in Manchester, then by 1900 when football started to develop and grow the two football clubs in Manchester joined the new national comp and that was all she wrote.

Im not sure you can lay any of that at the feet of the RFL lol
Rfl didn’t want to step on the rfu toes by looking a areas that were under their control

rfu was happy to let Manchester die off rather than go to the northern union

unlike in Australia where we took on soccer union and vfl head on in nsw and qld and crushed them

that’s the difference

Perth Red

Post Whore
Read the article
The one that said, and I qoute:
There has been speculation surrounding the North Sydney Bears joining forces with a Pasifika franchise, but V’landys made it clear any Pacific NRL licence must be spearheaded by PNG.

How does that in anyway suggest a link up with Bears or Tigers is likely??

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rfl didn’t want to step on the rfu toes by looking a areas that were under their control

rfu was happy to let Manchester die off rather than go to the northern union

unlike in Australia where we took on soccer union and vfl head on in nsw and qld and crushed them

that’s the difference
cough perth, cough adelaide, cough tasmania

Wb1234

Referee
The one that said, and I qoute:
There has been speculation surrounding the North Sydney Bears joining forces with a Pasifika franchise, but V’landys made it clear any Pacific NRL licence must be spearheaded by PNG.

How does that in anyway suggest a link up with Bears or Tigers is likely??
Keep reading