What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe Penrith's stadium design could be a mixture combination of Cbus stadium and PayPal.
One thing the newest stadiums have that works really well is the concourse open to the pitch all the way round. Thast works great and gives options of standing and having beer or food on the concourse and still being able to see the game. Cbus, AAMI etc dont have that. Any new stadium should.

JD-Roo

Juniors
One thing the newest stadiums have that works really well is the concourse open to the pitch all the way round. Thast works great and gives options of standing and having beer or food on the concourse and still being able to see the game. Cbus, AAMI etc dont have that. Any new stadium should.
Wasted space is the most likely thinking architecturally.

Concourse would probably eliminate roughly 5-6 rows of $$seats$$, which around a whole ground could hit the capacity by 1-2K. That space can easily be utilised underneath the stand instead of the face.

If you make the argument of more standing room, it then becomes a clearance issue in case of any emergency. Again, way more space underneath the stand instead.

Just my two cents worth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wasted space is the most likely thinking architecturally.

Concourse would probably eliminate roughly 5-6 rows of $$seats$$, which around a whole ground could hit the capacity by 1-2K. That space can easily be utilised underneath the stand instead of the face.

If you make the argument of more standing room, it then becomes a clearance issue in case of any emergency. Again, way more space underneath the stand instead.

Just my two cents worth.
Yeh I get that from a ROI point of view but from a fan experience point of view its far superior.

Big fan of the concourse. I’m of the hill generation so don’t mind standing for the entirety of the match. Plus, the Roosters stuck us pleb bronze members behind the in goal which I’m not a fan of but the concourse offers a better viewing experience. I’m waiting for the club to catch on to it however and will eventually get security to move us on at some point.

The Great Dane

First Grade
There's no way that the NSW gov can justify that kind of expense on a stadium for one team in Penrith when there're multiple suitable stadiums a short distance away.

This sort of blatant pork barrelling will also makes it harder to build support for more important projects in the future, and will contribute to backlashes just like we saw when the NRL tried to get Stadium Australia rebuilt into something useful.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's no way that the NSW gov can justify that kind of expense on a stadium for one team in Penrith when there're multiple suitable stadiums a short distance away.

This sort of blatant pork barrelling will also makes it harder to build support for more important projects in the future, and will contribute to backlashes just like we saw when the NRL tried to get Stadium Australia rebuilt into something useful.
Come on commbank is 30km away. No one should expect sports fans to travel that far to see their team lol

beave

Coach
Commbank and QCB should be the inspiration for the new Penrith.

Cbus whilst not a bad seat in the joint, is very much an "Ikea flat pack" and lacks some of the well thought out basics like having the ability to see the game whilst in the concession areas due it having a single tier of seats.

The one thing all 3 stadiums share though is the placement of all the corporate facilities on one side which helps significantly with building cost as you can place all the food prep areas in one central location.

Below on the west side in grey is all the corporate areas at QCB. You at least can get season and regular season tickets on that side though (blue) whereas at Commbank the west side is purely for corporates but happy to be corrected though if this has changed the last few years.

IMG_2718.jpeg

I actually think if the stadium at penrith follows a San Jose model you increase the construction cost and set up an "elitism" effect as the general punters are mostly up higher on the sides and the corporates are down at player level.

QCB has a big grassed open space up the northern end behind the big screen like San Jose that the club is trying to turn into a social area. The old joint DFS/1300's had the bundy bar underneath the small west stand which was great for pre match and post meet ups so they're trying to recreate this. The problem now though is there is no shade so the club sets up 30 or so tables with umbrellas on game day whilst you gotta commend them on setting this up, it's a little "povo" when you have this beautiful $300m stadium 20 metres away and your standing under a XXXX umbrella trying to avoid getting fried by the sun.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors

Except there isn't a suitable stadium for Penrith anywhere else in Sydney.

So what else should we spend a measly 300 million on then? And don't say schools and hospitals. It's .000001% of the budget for f**ks sake.

The Great Dane

First Grade

So what else should we spend a measly 300 million on then? And don't say schools and hospitals. It's .000001% of the budget for f**ks sake.
The money would be better spent on almost anything other than another stadium in Sydney, especially one for just for a single tenant, when there're two other suitable venues within an hour and third about an hour away.

The Panthers have access to multiple publicly funded state of the art venues, it's their problem if they refuse to use them. If they really want a new or better purpose built stadium in Penrith then they should invest in it themselves.

If NSW really wants to invest more into stadiums then they'd be better investing that money upgrading Newcastle or Wollongong into venues comparable to those in Sydney rather than investing yet more money into yet another stadium in Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The money would be better spent on almost anything other than another stadium in Sydney, especially one for just for a single tenant, when there're two other suitable venues within an hour and third about an hour away.

The Panthers have access to multiple publicly funded state of the art venues, it's their problem if they refuse to use them. If they really want a new or better purpose built stadium in Penrith then they should invest in it themselves.

If NSW really wants to invest more into stadiums then they'd be better investing that money upgrading Newcastle or Wollongong into venues comparable to those in Sydney rather than investing yet more money into yet another stadium in Sydney.
Sadly our game scheduling doesn't help. Thought I'd take a look and its 25km for me to get to HBF Park and 30km to Optus. Neither I would consider a big deal getting to, by car or public transport (not that you can get to Optus by car).
But I do get why people in Penrith may not want to travel 30km on a Thursday night or 6pm Friday, especially as there is a weird Sydney mentality about having to cross more than two suburbs!
I was at commbank for the near sell out eels v Panthers game last year. Seemed a lot of Panthers fans there so I guess they can do it occasionally.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Sadly our game scheduling doesn't help. Thought I'd take a look and its 25km for me to get to HBF Park and 30km to Optus. Neither I would consider a big deal getting to, by car or public transport (not that you can get to Optus by car).
But I do get why people in Penrith may not want to travel 30km on a Thursday night or 6pm Friday, especially as there is a weird Sydney mentality about having to cross more than two suburbs!
I was at commbank for the near sell out eels v Panthers game last year. Seemed a lot of Panthers fans there so I guess they can do it occasionally.
The problems with scheduling are both kind of beside the point and neither the NSW Government's or taxpayer's problem.

That's an issue for the NRL, and broadcasters to a lesser extent, to figure out.

Wb1234

Referee

Hahhaa Penrith can use stadiums an hour away but the stadium in Bruce being 15 minutes from the cbd is a killer

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hahhaa Penrith can use stadiums an hour away but the stadium in Bruce being 15 minutes from the cbd is a killer
Im not sure you understand the crux of either argument!

Canberras issue is no public transport, nothing to do around the stadium and being out of town not appealing to sports tourists. Not a 15min journey extra.

Isnt penrith to parra 35mins on train?

Wb1234

Referee
Im not sure you understand the crux of either argument!

Canberras issue is no public transport, nothing to do around the stadium and being out of town not appealing to sports tourists. Not a 15min journey extra.

Isnt penrith to parra 35mins on train?
Hahhhaa so 35 minutes on a train plus a 15 walk is as good as a ground you can drive too

hull kr sir even play ten minutes down the road you can talk

Pjf04b

Juniors
Perth Red - have you ever been to Penrith? Do you know anything about the area, infrastructure, transport situation, or demographics? Come to a Saturday night game in Penrith and see how the local community supports the Panthers, especially the number of young families and teenagers who would be unable to travel to Commbank at night. Getting home after midnight from a game of football every second week is hardly fair on them. It is not really a Sydney suburb, but a city and region in its own right!
Penrith is a growth area and is the largest RL nursery in the world. It surely deserves Government spending on a new stadium.

Iamback

Coach

And the extra 1.5m people coming into the area.

Better value for money, Than building an indoor arena with no tennants.

Wb1234

Referee
Perth Red - have you ever been to Penrith? Do you know anything about the area, infrastructure, transport situation, or demographics? Come to a Saturday night game in Penrith and see how the local community supports the Panthers, especially the number of young families and teenagers who would be unable to travel to Commbank at night. Getting home after midnight from a game of football every second week is hardly fair on them. It is not really a Sydney suburb, but a city and region in its own right!
Penrith is a growth area and is the largest RL nursery in the world. It surely deserves Government spending on a new stadium.
He’s a hull kr fan

his club play in a dump and refuse to move to the modern stadium a five (yes five) minute drive away

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hey if NSW tax payers are happy to stump up $300mill for panthers to have a stadium for 11/12 games a year then thats great for them. The fact there is a State owned state of the art new stadium 30km away is all we were pointing out. Im all for it, its not my money and the more NRl clubs playing in new stadiums the better as far as Im concerned.

Again scheduling is the issue not stadium availability. Games shouldn't be finishing at 10.30pm!