What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 25 v Gold Coast

Iamback

Coach
All season there has been blown tries through poor finishing.

Given all the losses this season have been by less than a single score I don't think it's unwarranted to worry about poor finishing in the finals.

It's kind of lucky that outside the Broncos all the other teams have glaring weaknesses.

Warriors a smoky with little finals experience, although Webster was the architect of the Melbourne 2021 PF win with the kick to Critta. Junior Paulo has gone to shit this season and I wonder if it's because every coach saw the footage of Webster in the 2022 finals doco talking about how ineffective he is when made to do early work in defence.

Correct. I can't remember a game that we haven't bombed a try or 2.

I still think injuries will play a part too, Hence why we discuss the bench and fringe guys

Luke Bowden

First Grade
History says otherwise...

Look at the storm pf 2 years ago... trick play he left up his sleeve all year...

Coaching at nrl level level is much different to park footy mate...

Why would we try expansive footy or new things now against a bottom placed side... just gives the broncs and co a good look at it...

You dont think billy thought up the trick play off the penality qld scored off???

Thats what great coaches do.. they deceive and work out a weakness and find a way to exploit it... waiting for the right time to use it is the key...

No point doing it in a nothing game when we were in cruise control against the bottom of the barrell titans
I’m very well aware of what coaching at that level is like and how it works.

They work on known opposition weaknesses or identified flaws. But they certainly don’t have a play book of secret trick moves they are going to unleash, it straight up doesn’t work that way.

You’re just plain wrong. Simple as that.

snickers007

Juniors
Just caught the game. Absolute bludger. Nearly put me to sleep.

Terrible discipline by us (on and off the ball). Far too many penalties letting them out of trouble, and shit handling.

Despite that, we had some real flashes of brilliance, and scored some good tries.

Idiots in yellow are getting worse. That no try to Peachey leading to the Schoupp sin bin was woeful. Glad he still got over the line shortly after.

No injuries and no suspensions are the only positives for me. Hope we rest a few more next week, and then go full-strength tune up against the Cowboys.

Girds89

Bench
I’m very well aware of what coaching at that level is like and how it works.

They work on known opposition weaknesses or identified flaws. But they certainly don’t have a play book of secret trick moves they are going to unleash, it straight up doesn’t work that way.

You’re just plain wrong. Simple as that.
Who said anything about a playbook lol...

Sometimes you really fail to read my posts or just posts in general... i think you read one sentence of a big post and thats all you see hahaha

My point is and always been, why would ivan use a special scrum set play they have been working on in a nothing game and give the finals teams a look at it and time to prepare for it...

Same as a new set backline move... why waist that in a game we put 40 on a bottom feeder...

Im not talking about griddon....

I think we are leaving plenty in the bag for the finals...

I mean we have literally done it before in the finals...

But no worries supercoach.. you are always right!!!

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Sometimes you really fail to read my posts or just posts in general... i think you read one sentence of a big post and thats all you see hahaha

My point is and always been, why would ivan use a special scrum set play they have been working on in a nothing game and give the finals teams a look at it and time to prepare for it...

Same as a new set backline move... why waist that in a game we put 40 on a bottom feeder...

As I said mate, you’re way off.

It’s not that I’m always right, it’s more that you’re usually guessing wrong.

I really only comment on things that I have actual knowledge of. Not just guessing for the sake of it.

WestyLife

First Grade

I could be wrong but the kick for Jenkins looked like a set play. It was almost the same as Cogger to peachey in an earlier game.

Girds89

Bench
As I said mate, you’re way off.

It’s not that I’m always right, it’s more that you’re usually guessing wrong.

I really only comment on things that I have actual knowledge of. Not just guessing for the sake of it.
Your arrogance is a laugh... you talk up having actual knowledge but im yet to hear what? Have you got high level nrl experience?

If you think a junior course or park footy coaching gives you special knowledge of things spare me haha. Its great you are involved in rugby league in some way but the way you act inferior to others is a bit sad tbh... almost like your stroking your own ego

I said and made pretty clear and understandable reasons for my thinking amd OPINION.... including giving examples of when its been done previously... not just by us...

If you have a different OPINION good for you mate... i dont know what it is cause you havent said lol but thats ok.. i dont need to hear it anyway as im comfortable with mine and dont need to tell people they are wrong.

Soni was good last night btw!! Nice to see him get a few more mins in case he is needed more come finals.. mins in the legs and gelling with nath and luai is great for the development. Happy for him.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Your arrogance is a laugh... you talk up having actual knowledge but im yet to hear what? Have you got high level nrl experience?

If you think a junior course or park footy coaching gives you special knowledge of things spare me haha. Its great you are involved in rugby league in some way but the way you act inferior to others is a bit sad tbh... almost like your stroking your own ego

I said and made pretty clear and understandable reasons for my thinking amd OPINION.... including giving examples of when its been done previously... not just by us...

If you have a different OPINION good for you mate... i dont know what it is cause you havent said lol but thats ok.. i dont need to hear it anyway as im comfortable with mine and dont need to tell people they are wrong.

Soni was good last night btw!! Nice to see him get a few more mins in case he is needed more come finals.. mins in the legs and gelling with nath and luai is great for the development. Happy for him.
I’ve been an assistant coach at NSW cup under Mick Potter. Which was an awesome couple of years. I learnt a lot.

Last year I moved clubs to be closer to home, I coach 18s and I’m an assistant coach with the Ron Massey side.

I’m not stroking any sort of ego, just offering a point of view which is fairly accurate. I obviously don’t have any sort of inside knowledge of the Panthers, but I do know how they like us to prepare the boys and what systems they would like us to use, through the pathways program.

Girds89

Bench
I’ve been an assistant coach at NSW cup under Mick Potter. Which was an awesome couple of years. I learnt a lot.

Last year I moved clubs to be closer to home, I coach 18s and I’m an assistant coach with the Ron Massey side.

I’m not stroking any sort of ego, just offering a point of view which is fairly accurate. I obviously don’t have any sort of inside knowledge of the Panthers, but I do know how they like us to prepare the boys and what systems they would like us to use, through the pathways program.

Which is awesome!!!

But you still havent really answred what im saying?

Ivan has said multiple times that he has kept things up his sleeve for certain occasions! Which is all i keep saying haha.. not showing all our cards to early!!!

You seem to be denying that?? Are you? Even though it has happened!

Its not like im throwing out some random comment haha.. its stuff that has literally happened before for us...

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Which is awesome!!!

But you still havent really answred what im saying?

Ivan has said multiple times that he has kept things up his sleeve for certain occasions! Which is all i keep saying haha.. not showing all our cards to early!!!

You seem to be denying that?? Are you? Even though it has happened!

Its not like im throwing out some random comment haha.. its stuff that has literally happened before for us...

that Ivan has said has nothing to do with Trick plays or anything of the sort.

I believe Ivan is referring to intensity and more importantly attacking focus.

They’ve gone away from turning ball runners under and sending heaps of traffic up the centre corridor. They have gone back to more of the style we won the comp with last year.

Girds89

Bench
I believe Ivan is referring to intensity and more importantly attacking focus.

They’ve gone away from turning ball runners under and sending heaps of traffic up the centre corridor. They have gone back to more of the style we won the comp with last year.

Depends... the other week against Canterbury fish and leota had like 100m in the first 25mins...

Another masterstroke by ivan... he knew ciraldo or predicated ciraldo would come hard for our outside backs so just changed up the game plan... we went back through the middle heaps that game with under balls to a charging leota or fish

But he has talked about things that theyve kept in the bag... the critta try in the pf... the soro try in lasts years gf was a worked play where they went at gutho as they had identified he gets stuck at marker... nath shaped to pass out and kicked on the left to decieve Parras inside men from covering... crittas intercept in the gf was something they worked on all week...

All these and others he has talked about...

These are just a few examples of big big plays that they have watched throughout the year how the other teams play... reviewed hours and hours of video to find a weak point and plot against that...

He saved plenty of master strokes for the right time over the last few years.. there is no point pulling a big play when its not needed..

For example if nath had tried the soro try off the left foot earlier in the year or 3 or 4 weeks before last years finals teams wouldve atleast been aware of it and prepared...

He saved it for the big dance and iced it.. thats what makes him such a big game player but its also a huge credit to ivan and his coaches who no doubt put in 100s of hours of video reviews of not only penrith but all clubs...

Nsw cup has become a shitload more professional over the last 5 or 6 years... the increase in minimum wages has helped guys try do it as a full time gig and get to training and not be stuffed from being on the tools all day etc...

Certainly wasnt like that even 10 or so years ago... blokes rocking up after a big day of work...

I still remember a speech i saw ciraldo make at an awards night about leota in flegg when he won an award at the end of year... talked about how he always used to be the hardest trainer even though hed get to training after being up from 5.30am working 9hrs on the tools...

That used to be like that in cup but correct me if im wrong but i believe that is definitely changing to an extent.. Way more proffesional now where players even outside the top 30 get decent pay and can devote tome to training...

I doubt flegg and cup do hours on hours of video reviews every week of opposition teams tho? Maybe reviews of their own games to see where improvements are needed..

But nrl is a different beast and theres no doubt over the last few years the coaching staff have nailed a few big moments in big games with plays that have been saved for the right moment and not wasted practicing in an easy win...

I mean... im kinda just saying whats happened in the past and saying i think we are leaving a few tricks up our sleeve for the finals this year again... its literally just whats happened before.

Im not saying we are radically going to change our style or game plan at all...

I just think come the finals we might see a few different scrum plays we havent seen before... we might see a set play or two that is new.. and that is exciting...

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Depends... the other week against Canterbury fish and leota had like 100m in the first 25mins...

Another masterstroke by ivan... he knew ciraldo or predicated ciraldo would come hard for our outside backs so just changed up the game plan... we went back through the middle heaps that game with under balls to a charging leota or fish

But he has talked about things that theyve kept in the bag... the critta try in the pf... the soro try in lasts years gf was a worked play where they went at gutho as they had identified he gets stuck at marker... nath shaped to pass out and kicked on the left to decieve Parras inside men from covering... crittas intercept in the gf was something they worked on all week...

All these and others he has talked about...

These are just a few examples of big big plays that they have watched throughout the year how the other teams play... reviewed hours and hours of video to find a weak point and plot against that...

He saved plenty of master strokes for the right time over the last few years.. there is no point pulling a big play when its not needed..

For example if nath had tried the soro try off the left foot earlier in the year or 3 or 4 weeks before last years finals teams wouldve atleast been aware of it and prepared...

He saved it for the big dance and iced it.. thats what makes him such a big game player but its also a huge credit to ivan and his coaches who no doubt put in 100s of hours of video reviews of not only penrith but all clubs...

Nsw cup has become a shitload more professional over the last 5 or 6 years... the increase in minimum wages has helped guys try do it as a full time gig and get to training and not be stuffed from being on the tools all day etc...

Certainly wasnt like that even 10 or so years ago... blokes rocking up after a big day of work...

I still remember a speech i saw ciraldo make at an awards night about leota in flegg when he won an award at the end of year... talked about how he always used to be the hardest trainer even though hed get to training after being up from 5.30am working 9hrs on the tools...

That used to be like that in cup but correct me if im wrong but i believe that is definitely changing to an extent.. Way more proffesional now where players even outside the top 30 get decent pay and can devote tome to training...

I doubt flegg and cup do hours on hours of video reviews every week of opposition teams tho? Maybe reviews of their own games to see where improvements are needed..

But nrl is a different beast and theres no doubt over the last few years the coaching staff have nailed a few big moments in big games with plays that have been saved for the right moment and not wasted practicing in an easy win...

I mean... im kinda just saying whats happened in the past and saying i think we are leaving a few tricks up our sleeve for the finals this year again... its literally just whats happened before.

Im not saying we are radically going to change our style or game plan at all...

I just think come the finals we might see a few different scrum plays we havent seen before... we might see a set play or two that is new.. and that is exciting...
No offence, but I’m not reading all of that.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Mate... you.. tell people they are wrong about an THIER OPINION without offering up anything... than you say im not reading all that....

And you say you arent arrogant... thatll do me.. haha
You’re just dribbling.

How is that arrogant? Do you understand the meaning of that word?

If you said that in my opinion 4 + 4 = 10 and I said, no, it equals 8. Would I be arrogant?

The stuff you bang on about is just so left field and not how the real world works. That’s what I’m saying.

Girds89

Bench
You’re just dribbling.

How is that arrogant? Do you understand the meaning of that word?

If you said that in my opinion 4 + 4 = 10 and I said, no, it equals 8. Would I be arrogant?

The stuff you bang on about is just so left field and not how the real world works. That’s what I’m saying.
You dont offer up anything... you just tell people they are wrong without putting forward something...

I mean what have you added here haha??? Youve literally added not a single point to counter what ive said and whats happened in the past...

Just im wrong, your a supercoach and that what im saying isnt the real world... even though its happened in the real world hahha..

Luke Bowden

First Grade
You dont offer up anything... you just tell people they are wrong without putting forward something...

I mean what have you added here haha??? Youve literally added not a single point to counter what ive said and whats happened in the past...

Just im wrong, your a supercoach and that what im saying isnt the real world... even though its happened in the real world hahha..
Besides you and occasionally Chins. Who do I say is wrong? Most people offer up their observations and move on.

You on the other hand bang on and on and on, with the same dribble. So I comment.

Girds89

Bench
Besides you and occasionally Chins. Who do I say is wrong? Most people offer up their observations and move on.

You on the other hand bang on and on and on, with the same dribble. So I comment.
I didnt think you read it mate? To long for you...

All good you have your opinions too and comment on them... sometimes i think your opinions are avg... but i dont tell you you are wrong...

I mean some of the things youve said about soni can be as good replacement or better than api... lets just say i dont agree with...

But i try make a point of understanding others opinions if they are willing to explain... just calling people wrong or saying they are dribbling and offering nothing in return really adds nothing at all does it??

Like do you just come on here to look for posts to tell people they are dribbling and wrong? If you have something to add say it.... than maybe we wouldnt go round in circles...

Its the same with the long high kicks the other week.. you said we didnt know what we were talking about when we said it was a tactic to give the chasers more time to get down field and set a good line... but than you didnt offer up anything... just another you dont know what your talking about...

Theres plenty on here i agree with you on... theres also plenty i disagree with people on and have a different view.. at least i try explain it..

I find franklin to be a educated poster on here... obviously watches the juniors and a lot of other nrl... I don't always agree with some stuff he says and we often have back forths on here where he will show stats or evidence to try make his point.. even if it doesnt change my mind i guess i can understand why he thinks that way about a certain topic and i can appreciate his opinion and or even change mine.

If you can add something add it or put your opinion out there.. just telling me or people they are wrong is pretty lame. Your opinion is just that.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I didnt think you read it mate? To long for you...

All good you have your opinions too and comment on them... sometimes i think your opinions are avg... but i dont tell you you are wrong...

I mean some of the things youve said about soni can be as good replacement or better than api... lets just say i dont agree with...

But i try make a point of understanding others opinions if they are willing to explain... just calling people wrong or saying they are dribbling and offering nothing in return really adds nothing at all does it??

Like do you just come on here to look for posts to tell people they are dribbling and wrong? If you have something to add say it.... than maybe we wouldnt go round in circles...

Its the same with the long high kicks the other week.. you said we didnt know what we were talking about when we said it was a tactic to give the chasers more time to get down field and set a good line... but than you didnt offer up anything... just another you dont know what your talking about...

Theres plenty on here i agree with you on... theres also plenty i disagree with people on and have a different view.. at least i try explain it..

I find franklin to be a educated poster on here... obviously watches the juniors and a lot of other nrl... I don't always agree with some stuff he says and we often have back forths on here where he will show stats or evidence to try make his point.. even if it doesnt change my mind i guess i can understand why he thinks that way about a certain topic and i can appreciate his opinion and or even change mine.

If you can add something add it or put your opinion out there.. just telling me or people they are wrong is pretty lame. Your opinion is just that.

See paragraphs, when you could have used two.

I explained to you the principles behind Nathan and Jerome’s kicking tactics, or at least how it was explained to me. Scroll back and look. You must have been too busy punching out novels.