What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 25 v Gold Coast

WestyLife

First Grade
My overall thought were there are some individual frustrating moments and ivan said as much he wasn't particularly happy but it is good to win well when not playing great. They say that's what champion teams do. For his little moments I'd still take peach as a back up he's really earned some respect in his second stint back at the club.

Panther Pete

Juniors
And the Hooper/Ivan pre-game interview. You could feel how awkward it was through the TV screen. Very frosty.
I noticed that, Ivan looked like he didn't want anything to do with him which is understandable when you consider Hooper is one of the NRL360 crew who do nothing but bag the sh!t out of us.

After the game I mentioned to a mate of mine who is a Bunnies fan that I though we were pretty average and he said he wished his team could play poorly and still put 40 points on and restrict the opposition to 14. Perhaps a lot of us have become used to us making very few mistakes and not missing tackles so when we are not at our best (like last night) it is disappointing. With a few rounds to go before the semis I think Brisbane have the game that can cause us problems.

Iamback

Coach
I noticed that, Ivan looked like he didn't want anything to do with him which is understandable when you consider Hooper is one of the NRL360 crew who do nothing but bag the sh!t out of us.

After the game I mentioned to a mate of mine who is a Bunnies fan that I though we were pretty average and he said he wished his team could play poorly and still put 40 points on and restrict the opposition to 14. Perhaps a lot of us have become used to us making very few mistakes and not missing tackles so when we are not at our best (like last night) it is disappointing. With a few rounds to go before the semis I think Brisbane have the game that can cause us problems.

don't get me wrong, I am all for the expansive play. We should do more of it. Just need to practice it more because starting both halves like that in finals game won't end well

Iamback

Coach
My overall thought were there are some individual frustrating moments and ivan said as much he wasn't particularly happy but it is good to win well when not playing great. They say that's what champion teams do. For his little moments I'd still take peach as a back up he's really earned some respect in his second stint back at the club.

Peach certainly wasn't one of the worst last night

I know 1 game doesn't make it all, but some of us who would have liked Cogger at 9 got a real good glimpse of it last night and he did a fantastic job. A couple of his darts across the field was like he has been in that position a long time.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Im telling you right now we are leaving plenty out there...

Why would ivan show his hand against an almost last place titans??

You can choose to belive what you wamt but if you dont think ivan is a better coach than that ny now im worried...

I heard him say something in the presser a few weeks back after a win... cant remember which one but it was soo different to all the previous years..

Previous years to this hes said every week... "we are only worrying about next week"....

A few weeks back he said something along the lines off... "theres bigger things ahead and we are planning for that"...

It was really out of character for him amd bucked the trend of the last few years...

I think he knows this year without kiks and api its going to take a few special plays and tactical genius moments...

No point showing that off now..

I wouldn't be suprised if they did things tonight and over the next few weeks just to throw teams off come finals...

Hes playing the long game.

A kick to jenkins on the third was just a opportunity nathan didmt ice when he should have... had it been 10m deeper it was a try...

The difference is against the storm 2 years ago in the prelim nath kicked from hooker om tavkle 2 or 3 from 3m out...

Ivan studied the storm all year an said as much in the press conference... he saw the rooosters do it 20 rounds before and held it in the bag till than...

Hes getting better and better as a coach and i domt think he saw the need tonight for a single trick play...

We just played our usual style and nath a
Had one moment where he just played eyes up and didnt ice it...

There are bigger things coming
Wow…. Mate, you are a massive over thinker.

All this Ivan talk is completely off the mark.

This is not the way he works, thinks or coaches. This not the way any decent coach works.

The team is just playing to the intensity of the game that they are in. They don’t have a bunch of “trick” plays hidden up their sleeves that they will unleash in the finals.

They are saving fuel in the tank, for sure. They are managing injuries, for sure.

What happens on the field during a game is on Nathan and Yeo.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I like Billy Burns, I think he’s a good signing to replace Garner.
But,
There is no way he’s replacing Hosking next in our 17. Hosko is a mile ahead of him and has less experience.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I know 1 game doesn't make it all, but some of us who would have liked Cogger at 9 got a real good glimpse of it last night and he did a fantastic job. A couple of his darts across the field was like he has been in that position a long time.
He was ok.

He played like a half trying to play hooker, which is what you’d expect.

I thought his defence was below average even compared to Soni and his service was also pretty average.

Hopefully we don’t need to play him there again.

Girds89

Bench
Wow…. Mate, you are a massive over thinker.

All this Ivan talk is completely off the mark.

This is not the way he works, thinks or coaches. This not the way any decent coach works.

The team is just playing to the intensity of the game that they are in. They don’t have a bunch of “trick” plays hidden up their sleeves that they will unleash in the finals.

They are saving fuel in the tank, for sure. They are managing injuries, for sure.

What happens on the field during a game is on Nathan and Yeo.

History says otherwise...

Look at the storm pf 2 years ago... trick play he left up his sleeve all year...

Coaching at nrl level level is much different to park footy mate...

Why would we try expansive footy or new things now against a bottom placed side... just gives the broncs and co a good look at it...

You dont think billy thought up the trick play off the penality qld scored off???

Thats what great coaches do.. they deceive and work out a weakness and find a way to exploit it... waiting for the right time to use it is the key...

No point doing it in a nothing game when we were in cruise control against the bottom of the barrell titans

age.s

First Grade
Par for the course obv, but the refereeing was particularly atrocious last night. Didn't always go against us in fairness (Jenkins should have been binned) but the Peachey and Turuva no tries were awful decisions, while Martin and Spencer were penalised for tackling too hard. Haven't even gotten to the 50 50s yet.

Following us through this period really has highlighted how there isn't a bias toward the top teams (generally). NRL refereeing is abysmal across the board, but the good teams minimise punishment from the ones that go against them and capitalise hard on the ones that go for them.

Titans are a much better team than their ladder position suggests.
outstanding foward pack, great fullback, and speed to burn.

we were off a bit, but had plenty of players out.

personally pretty happy with the game.

we are guaranteed top 2 now so can rest players and start prep for the finals.
Correct.
Titans have 4 current Qld origin players and a try scoring freak winger as well as x factor Jayden Campbell.
Why people on these forums continue to bag our team because the other side scores points is beyond my reasoning.
Some say the replacement players are not included in our best 17 is a rather amusing quote when all clubs have a top 30 roster! No side uses only 17 all season.
Some think we should win every game 50 nil, and if we don't then Ivan has got it all wrong.
Peachy scored, they made up a bounce ball because they wanted to sin bin a player because "it was more right".
Turuva scored, but because he got up with the "I don't know look", that's what they went with.
Winning by more than 20 is a good result, stop complaining.

WestyLife

First Grade
Correct.
Titans have 4 current Qld origin players and a try scoring freak winger as well as x factor Jayden Campbell.
Why people on these forums continue to bag our team because the other side scores points is beyond my reasoning.
Some say the replacement players are not included in our best 17 is a rather amusing quote when all clubs have a top 30 roster! No side uses only 17 all season.
Some think we should win every game 50 nil, and if we don't then Ivan has got it all wrong.
Peachy scored, they made up a bounce ball because they wanted to sin bin a player because "it was more right".
Turuva scored, but because he got up with the "I don't know look", that's what they went with.
Winning by more than 20 is a good result, stop complaining.

Or engage with people with real arguments or ignore it.

Munky

Coach
I still don't see anyone really complaining.

All season there has been blown tries through poor finishing.

Given all the losses this season have been by less than a single score I don't think it's unwarranted to worry about poor finishing in the finals.

It's kind of lucky that outside the Broncos all the other teams have glaring weaknesses.

Warriors a smoky with little finals experience, although Webster was the architect of the Melbourne 2021 PF win with the kick to Critta. Junior Paulo has gone to shit this season and I wonder if it's because every coach saw the footage of Webster in the 2022 finals doco talking about how ineffective he is when made to do early work in defence.

Latest posts