What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Panthers- Finals, Week 1

Meth

Staff member
I honestly thought Sironen was the worst on the ground yesterday. He has gone ok at points this season but is a depth player and is bog average

Funnily, since I wasn't impressed by him, I would play Walker at 6.
Just for his x-factor.
Obviously after TMM display yesterday a few of us do not have confidence in him. While a talented player he needs a few more games under his belt it seems.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
We've had a great season regardless. Let's not get above our station here. I live in Panthers country, they're laughing at playing the Warriors. It's not arrogance, they deserve their overdog status. It's all about week two for us.

Melbourne did that more than once,and got sent back with their tails between their legs by us.

No doubt we are 2nd favourites but I give us every chance with a nigh-on full strength side and plenty of enthusiasm. We lose, we go home for a final - so why wouldn't we just go over there and rip in.

Remember Webster knows exactly how they play, too. He's a smart man. We'll compete bloody hard this weekend.

Melbourne did that more than once,and got sent back with their tails between their legs by us.

No doubt we are 2nd favourites but I give us every chance with a nigh-on full strength side and plenty of enthusiasm. We lose, we go home for a final - so why wouldn't we just go over there and rip in.
We win we also get a home grandfinal qualifier. Massive insensitive.
Not sure another week off is needed???
I hope to be completely wrong about TMM

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We are going to need some smart ball playing interplay and late footwork in the forwards to have a chance against Penrith - Tohu and Walker key. Otherwise we will be gang tackled into oblivion. Oh and our edges need to defend like champions.
CNK chiming into the line and creating overlaps too. You notice the difference when he’s not there, Tuapiki doesn’t do that, he just tries to beat players with footwork, which usually results in him stepping one or two but getting caught by the cover.

TheDMC

Bench
I honestly thought Sironen was the worst on the ground yesterday. He has gone ok at points this season but is a depth player and is bog average
He was mud ay. Caught out on slack defense a few times as zero punch in attack.

vvvrulz

Coach
I'm definitely not writing us off - we are at full strength, mentally up for it and rested.
We're a real handful if we click into place, the Panthers did not get an easy ride in Magic Round and got their pants pulled down by the Eels just a week ago without Moses.

We're still underdogs, my biggest fear is that a bye round seems to mess us up.
I'm hoping that this break cleared away some rust instead.

TheDMC

Bench
Looking at the teams, player to player there doesn't seem to be a massive difference in quality to me (sure, a bit here and there, the centers for sure!). The big difference is of course that Penrith are so well oiled as a unit and have such a successful style of play. Especially how they defend so well whether gang tackling in the middle or scramble saves. But I like our team! We do need a real prop on the bench, not sure why Sironen is there? He is better cover than Tevaga for hooker, but....

hitro

Juniors
Reckon as how there's only one actual prop means the plan is to pass amongst the forwards all night right from the word go
I also feel Curran is better than Ford but I have watched a game recently with an ex warrior from the second row who says Ford does a lot of good stuff no one notices
You gotta think Webster is noticing that stuff whatever it is, decoy runs I guess and support play and third (?) guy into tackles
I am happy to accept Webster is totally onto it and if he thinks Ford is best to start there so be it

Reactions: Hov
Reckon as how there's only one actual prop means the plan is to pass amongst the forwards all night right from the word go
I also feel Curran is better than Ford but I have watched a game recently with an ex warrior from the second row who says Ford does a lot of good stuff no one notices
You gotta think Webster is noticing that stuff whatever it is, decoy runs I guess and support play and third (?) guy into tackles
I am happy to accept Webster is totally onto it and if he thinks Ford is best to start there so be it
I agree that Ford does a lot of work off the ball that goes uncredited, a lot just see the penalties that often are harsh or very subjective (hand on face, hand on ball etc). But felt the left edge felt inexperienced/young and Curran seemed to add some more experience/voice there.

Izz

Bench
not sure why Sironen is there? He is better cover than Tevaga for hooker, but....
Yeah, I'd go Bunty over Sironen, tbh. Maybe a bit harsh on Sironen considering he's been part of the team for nearly the whole regular season but yeah

Rich102

Staff member
Picking Jazz at 14 is a huge risk for no upside.
Lussick has been playing well when called on to replace Egan.
Jazz is not a hooker and a barely adequate prop who did nothing in his last outing and can give away points.
Hope I am wrong but I see the whole game falling apart here.