What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Panthers- Finals, Week 1

Benek

Juniors
Webster's plan all year has been smaller mobile forwards with short passing at the line. Jazz fits that plan better than Bunty. Whether or not it's the right plan, I don't know, but willing to give coach the benefit of the doubt. He's hardly put a foot wrong all season so why question it now?

But I'd be happy with Bunty over Siro. Would be nice to have a Bunty or Ale on the field when AFB has to take his 10-20 mins off.

sup42

Juniors
The strongest finals side we could have named I recon.

Certainly our best defensive side and the only way we win this is through defence.

As much as I loved the bald bros move which saw us inject two up tempo forwards at the fifteen to twenty minute mark, I can understand if they cannot risk Jazz having a longer stint in the game.

We just have to monitor him closely and pull him if he is struggling, otherwise he brings a lot to the middle of our team.

Ford, Curran and Pompey need to work overtime to share the defensive load with TMM.

Whether we win or lose I believe having these rusty guys is the right call, because they will be ready for next week if we have to play.

Bunty and Ale are unlucky but I can see why we went with the better defensive set up and as benek mentioned the better attacking configuration with the ball playing forwards.

We are not going to win by wrestling Penrith, we could go close, but a win is extremely unlikely so why even go there.

We need to run them off their feet, and we have the set up to do it.

We should see some trys down our left edge when SJ plays the same side instead of split halves.

We should see a try or more purely off what Dallin can do, I don't care how good you are, in moments in games he is unstoppable.

And with all that ball playing around the middle we should see Egan put himself or one of his forwards in under the posts.

SJ will be watching for when Penrith stack their Defence thinking Dallin in the corner is the only trick shot we have.

Pompey played really well last week in a B team, no surprises with TMM there.

If you run through the stats on players pound for pound, we have the better starting pack, they have the better bench...unless....the Bald bros can kick it up a gear, then we definitely have the superior pack.

Nathan Clearly is the best field kicker in the game, 2023 SJ has the better STATs head to head.

I am not worried about this game at all, for one thing it is time to celebrate this reward of getting the defending Prems in an opening weekend.

Look for the Warriors to hit hard and fast and leave Penrith stunned. That is my pick for this weekend, I think if both packs go full monster we will destroy them up the middle and I expect our boys to grow in confidence off that.

sup42

Juniors
Penrith are extremely fit. Hard to see us running them off their feet

They are.

But a large part of their appearance of fitness is the way they share their workload and have all high tempo players (especially their bench which is why Jazz and Walker on our bench are critical selection choices, sirro too over Freddy, more leg speed).

Which is why Webster brought that game style here and specifically used Walker and Jazz to great effect which meant AFB and Tohu had plenty of gas in the tank, Barnett too.

Penrith are human though, they can only maintain that high line speed and driving defence for fifteen to twenty minutes which is usually enough to sap the opposition pack then Penrith settle into a more human game speed which is still faster than their opponents because their opponents are buggered from having zero territory and defending their line for grim death.

This is where Webster can flip the tables on Penrith with injection of the bald bros. Right when Penrith are feeling comfortable, rather than seeing a half broken Warriors, we flick the turbo shift and do it back to them.

After half time rest, Penrith rinse and repeat, which if Jazz were fully fit would be when he and Walker are starting and can go with them for game speed.

If we use injection of players at the right time and the short passing game to move them around their strangle is far less of a threat.

Also our boys need to surrender in the tackle, hit the turf on your front, take away the Penrith Gang tackle first contact off fast line speed then three or four Panthers driving you backwards while the Ref calls held but is too sycophantic for the NRL darlings to ping them.

The thing about Penriths fitness is that it rarely gets tested because opponents do not have the mobility of a Penrith to do it back to them. We have that mobility if our guys are switched on we can make our share of meters.

The Eels ran Penrith off their feet.

They did it by non stop attack, which is what our forward ball playing game needs to emulate, keep them moving.

Penrith were stuffed in the final quarter against the Eels.

It can be done because the Eels have shown it can multiple times.

This is the reason Bunty and Ale are not playing and we have an intentionally midget bench.

It is just a shame that we have three players under done.

Barnett
Jazz
TMM

And Marata has not been able to consolidate decent minutes. But that is fine, their base fitness after a long season of good food, gym work etc will be enough to have them ready for next week if we are playing.

Last edited:

Chins get the wins

First Grade
They are.

But a large part of their appearance of fitness is the way they share their workload and have all high tempo players (especially their bench which is why Jazz and Walker on our bench are critical selection choices, sirro too over Freddy, more leg speed).

Which is why Webster brought that game style here and specifically used Walker and Jazz to great effect which meant AFB and Tohu had plenty of gas in the tank, Barnett too.

Penrith are human though, they can only maintain that high line speed and driving defence for fifteen to twenty minutes which is usually enough to sap the opposition pack then Penrith settle into a more human game speed which is still faster than their opponents because their opponents are buggered from having zero territory and defending their line for grim death.

This is where Webster can flip the tables on Penrith with injection of the bald bros. Right when Penrith are feeling comfortable, rather than seeing a half broken Warriors, we flick the turbo shift and do it back to them.

After half time rest, Penrith rinse and repeat, which if Jazz were fully fit would be when he and Walker are starting and can go with them for game speed.

If we use injection of players at the right time and the short passing game to move them around their strangle is far less of a threat.

Also our boys need to surrender in the tackle, hit the turf on your front, take away the Penrith Gang tackle first contact off fast line speed then three or four Panthers driving you backwards while the Ref calls held but is too sycophantic for the NRL darlings to ping them.

The thing about Penriths fitness is that it rarely gets tested because opponents do not have the mobility of a Penrith to do it back to them. We have that mobility if our guys are switched on we can make our share of meters.

The Eels ran Penrith off their feet.

They did it by non stop attack, which is what our forward ball playing game needs to emulate, keep them moving.

Penrith were stuffed in the final quarter against the Eels.

It can be done because the Eels have shown it can multiple times.

This is the reason Bunty and Ale are not playing and we have an intentionally midget bench.

It is just a shame that we have three players under done.

Barnett
Jazz
TMM

And Marata has not been able to consolidate decent minutes. But that is fine, their base fitness after a long season of good food, gym work etc will be enough to have them ready for next week if we are playing.
Sorry but this is dribble.

nswarrior

Juniors
As with all big battles, the belief and mindset is the key.
Most teams believe Panthers are unbeatable and Panthers play a low risk, high temp game and eventually the ver power teams.

we have to hang in the arm wrestle and esp. when a couple of calls don’t go our way.

Panthers are beatable.

WithTheDawn

Juniors
We have a fit, healthy and rested top 17 available to play this week. Going in as huge underdogs no one is giving a chance to. Really nothing to lose in this game, and I think we can give it an almighty crack. Two big kiwi games in the space of 24 hours if you count the All Blacks, and in both cases the two teams could meet again at the big dance later on.

Reactions: Izz

sup42

Juniors
Sorry but this is dribble.

No counter?

You mean you don't like reading someone has thoughts that challenge the status quo that Penrith are invincible and there is no way to beat them.

I get it. Your side is the red hot favorites and you cannot see outside that bubble.

We have a Union side in New Zealand where fans have the same mind set every time they play....until they lose.

This is the NRL.

If you understand the NRL you accept that no matter how good you are, any team in this competition can defeat any other on their day.

I think the biggest driver of the Warriors zero chance against Penrith dogma is that people assume the Warriors that played weak sides and could only win ugly are the same Warriors that will play on Saturday.

Big mistake.

Assuming we get fair calls and there are no serious injuries:

This weekend will not be comfortable viewing for Penrith fans, the Warriors will push hard till the final whistle.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
No counter?

You mean you don't like reading someone has thoughts that challenge the status quo that Penrith are invincible and there is no way to beat them.

I get it. Your side is the red hot favorites and you cannot see outside that bubble.

We have a Union side in New Zealand where fans have the same mind set every time they play....until they lose.

This is the NRL.

If you understand the NRL you accept that no matter how good you are, any team in this competition can defeat any other on their day.

I think the biggest driver of the Warriors zero chance against Penrith dogma is that people assume the Warriors that played weak sides and could only win ugly are the same Warriors that will play on Saturday.

Big mistake.

Assuming we get fair calls and there are no serious injuries:

This weekend will not be comfortable viewing for Penrith fans, the Warriors will push hard till the final whistle.
You'll melt like all others by the 60th min. That's if SJ hasn't already choked the game away.
Anyways good luck in week 2

sup42

Juniors
Media are reporting Johnson is only fifty fifty to play, lower leg injury.

We all know what that means if Johnson does not play.

Almost impossible to win, we might have had a chance if Metcalf and TMM were fully fit and playing.

Otherwise this game just turned into a dead end if SJ is out.

Media are reporting Johnson is only fifty fifty to play, lower leg injury.

We all know what that means if Johnson does not play.

Almost impossible to win, we might have had a chance if Metcalf and TMM were fully fit and playing.

Otherwise this game just turned into a dead end if SJ is out.
Well that's great news!
Even if he takes the field he will be hampered by it.

WithTheDawn

Juniors
Absolute last thing we need if this is true. If he is 50/50 in a game like this that isn't do-or-die then he doesn't play. I think our best hope would be inaccurate reporting...

If he is out the game goes from difficult but winnable to a long shot. Also, we rested him and a bunch more to avoid an injury just like this, would be a cruel irony.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Picking Jazz at 14 is a huge risk for no upside.
Lussick has been playing well when called on to replace Egan.
Jazz is not a hooker and a barely adequate prop who did nothing in his last outing and can give away points.
Hope I am wrong but I see the whole game falling apart here.
Jazz won’t be at DH, that’s Sirro’s job if Wayde is injured or needs a rest. That whole side is built around stamina, and having a shot at hanging with Penrith for the full 80 or coming home stronger.

Absolute last thing we need if this is true. If he is 50/50 in a game like this that isn't do-or-die then he doesn't play. I think our best hope would be inaccurate reporting...

If he is out the game goes from difficult but winnable to a long shot. Also, we rested him and a bunch more to avoid an injury just like this, would be a cruel irony.
2 weeks of no NRL level game time would be hard to come back from and produce your best/finals level quality.

So if injured or going to get injured by playing best not to play. But those healthy have to play.

TheDMC

Bench
If anything more than a niggle, this is utterly deflating. He so deserves to be playing in the finals and we so deserve to see him there. Losing without him playing is worse than us losing with him playing.

WithTheDawn

Juniors
Warriors just confirmed SJ is out but should be good to go next week - or the week after given we are going to win hey guys? Guys?

Anyway, yeah, massive out. No significant injury concerns all year, plays every game until the last round. We wrap him in cotton wool for the last game and he goes and gets injured in training a few days before our biggest game in years. Unreal.